South African ROM support (JC rom)

Guest Tiaan Esterhuyse

Guest Tiaan Esterhuyse

Hey there!

South Africa is behind (as usual) on all updates. Currently we have the JCHH1 (Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia) rom with no update available. While i have no real issue with it, i do wish to remove some unused apps (preinstalled apps, cant find any other way to remove them). To do this, i need to download the updater or dump the rom from the device to edit the packages.

I cant seem to find any JC roms and i dont know how other regions would affect the phone... And i cant find any way to dump my rom.

Any help would be appreciated.

TD8

Edited by Tiaan Esterhuyse

Guest warlock1280
Hey there!

South Africa is behind (as usual) on all updates. Currently we have the JCHH1 (Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Tunisia) rom with no update available. While i have no real issue with it, i do wish to remove some unused apps (preinstalled apps, cant find any other way to remove them). To do this, i need to download the updater or dump the rom from the device to edit the packages.

I cant seem to find any JC roms and i dont know how other regions would affect the phone... And i cant find any way to dump my rom.

TD8

Hey im from SA too. . .Iv got the same ROM on an mtn contract. I tried to update to a Singapore DZHJ1 ROM using vista and something went wrong while updating. . .now wen i turn my phone on it stays at the "samsung omnia" part. . . sucks! I cant even find the JCHH1 ROM i had b4. . .

Guest PsyM0nkey

Greetings fellow Saffers. :rolleyes:

im from cape town myself.

Got myself an omnia 2 days ago off a vodacom upgrade. So far Im realy liking it, except for all the pre-installed vodacom rubbish on it. Other than wanting to get rid of that bloody meerkat off my screen on every startup, im in no rush to install a custom rom on it.

But anyways, ive heard so far just by browsing these forums, that its not reccomended to install or patch a rom off a vista machine. Best off an XP, because of said problems.

But yeah, nice to see some local people here. hope you come right with your phone warlock!

Hi guys,

I'm also from South Africa. I've been lurking here for a while since I got my Omnia in October.

I'll try to dump the official MTN rom and mess with it later.

Guest Tiaan Esterhuyse

Nice to see more SA citizens here :rolleyes:

I love the phone, but have some issues with its battery life... I make doubly sure to close all apps i used from the task manager, WiFi is off, Bluetooth is off, powersaver is on, screen brightness at lowest, and timeouts on the screen turnoff is about 30sec. And all i do is mxit for an hour or so a day. Yet my battery dont last a day... Each night its back on the charger... Is this normal? At all?

And @ngcyf, if you manage to dump the rom, could you upload it somewhere, or give me some instructions on how you did it? (with links to the software PLEASE)

Guest PsyM0nkey

Can anyone confirm if any of the cooked roms found on this site can be used on our phones?

After all the first novelty impressions of all the omnia's features, im now keen to clean up my phone a bit.

Ive got my eye on the DXHK3 cooked rom, and i plan to maybe give it a bash tomorow, but just want to know if there is something i should be aware of? Like if we can go from JCHH1 to DXHK3, or if it may cause some fatal errors.

thanks for any insight

Guest ehsanuetian
Hey there!

TD8

Dear check this

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...uth-africa-rom/

Hi guys,

I'm also from South Africa. I've been lurking here for a while since I got my Omnia in October.

I'll try to dump the official MTN rom and mess with it later.

In SA too. I've got JBHH1 which is vodacom\vodafone on my phone. I'm moving to a different country soon so would need a new rom. Will be tryinh the JVHK1 first. See here: http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...te-uae-english/

Guest rksgsn

Hi guys I just quickly scanned through your posts.

I am also from South Africa, I'm on an MTN contract and were on version i900JCHH1/JCHH1 before I installed custom ROM LTE2. With the original rom I NEVER made it through a day without charging 2 times during the day and during the night. If I didnt keep it on charge during the night, the next morning it would be almost empty without any programs running (except active sync). But since I put on the custom rom, my battery has been holding out for a day easily. I mxit the most of the time, and go onto the web quite often.

A few problems I have encountered is that when I lock the phone, instead of "Unlock" appearing above the "call" button, "Password" appears, and since don't have a password I have to reset it. Sometimes after I smash the buttons "Unlock" appears on the screen again and I can use the phone again. Another problem is that when it goes into sleep mode, sometimes it doesn't wake up again and I have to switch it on the hard way.

Can someone please dump the i900JCHH1/JCHH1 rom and upload it for me? I never thought to do that and I just want it for some peace of mind. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IceBerg_5
Hi guys I just quickly scanned through your posts.

I am also from South Africa, I'm on an MTN contract and were on version i900JCHH1/JCHH1 before I installed custom ROM LTE2. With the original rom I NEVER made it through a day without charging 2 times during the day and during the night. If I didnt keep it on charge during the night, the next morning it would be almost empty without any programs running (except active sync). But since I put on the custom rom, my battery has been holding out for a day easily. I mxit the most of the time, and go onto the web quite often.

A few problems I have encountered is that when I lock the phone, instead of "Unlock" appearing above the "call" button, "Password" appears, and since don't have a password I have to reset it. Sometimes after I smash the buttons "Unlock" appears on the screen again and I can use the phone again. Another problem is that when it goes into sleep mode, sometimes it doesn't wake up again and I have to switch it on the hard way.

Can someone please dump the i900JCHH1/JCHH1 rom and upload it for me? I never thought to do that and I just want it for some peace of mind. Thanks in advance.

Hmm.. My Omnia Last About 3 Days Mate. FYI Separte Mxit Phone. Ps. You Also Running Mxit v5.3 On Yours?

Guys,the best advice I can give you is to switch to custom roms. I got my Omnia through MTN and I flashed it about 7 times with different custom roms and never had problems. MTN has no clause that prohibits the flashing of the phone,well atleast that's what is missing on my contract,which means that should something go wrong you can simply send your phones back for repairs... :)

Gotta love custom roms. When I first got my Omnia (Vodacom) I was mortified at how little free space was left in Main Storage (20MB) and the battery life was a joke. Currently running Qbus' Clean Rom to which I've added Manila2D plus a whole bunch of apps and games.

I still have over 100MB free. :) and the battery lasts 3-4 days on average.

Dunno what Voda put in their rom but it was a pos. Good riddance Vodacom, hello sweet sweet Omnia. :D I couldn't be arsed about the warranty.