Screen Sensitivity in Omnia vs. HTC HD

Guest q8doctor

yes, that fix JUST WORKS!

you still have to be accurate, but the phone responds better.

i have big and medium sized icons for all the functions i use on my phone so 99.1% of the time its accurarte.

my battery last 2 days on average before getting a low battery warning.

i have my data disconnect after it checks my email, every five minutes.

i also turn the screen off SOON AS im done with the phone.

this solution is PERFECT for me :rolleyes:

Guest Emre SUMENGEN

About the battery, I'm getting better results with newer ROMs, on the Omnia... For ex. it had JVHH2 factory installed and I barely could use it 1/1,5 days before it started complaining. Now, I'm using Lufeig's HL2 and under heavy use, it easily makes 2 days and asks for more (not much more, but _just_more_ :rolleyes:)

About the "sensitivity" of the screen, I _wish_ mobile vendors start pushing Microsoft for their Lame implementation (or the lack of)... Us, customers and vendors should push them to start supporting capacitive touch screens. I also have an iphone (and had the chance to use some Diamond/HD) and nothing ever comes near it when you're talking about a sensitive screen :) I love the Omnia (despite WM) and would love if it had such a nice looking and easy to use screen.

(By the way, capacitive and resistive screens look different, especially under sunlight. The second layer over the first on resistive screens make it reflect and fade much more, IMO)

PS: About my previous post, no offense intended. I just believe we need to clarify the things we talk.

Guest quantys
Those are the calibration values (the stuff you set when you align the screen); shouldn't have any effect on the battery.

Thanks. The values work great here too.

The Values are great, we see directly the difference. but are ther other values to have the sceen more sensitive?

What are the meaning of each value, more bigger is the number, more sensitive is the screen?

Thanks

Guest MrJoneswii
The Values are great, we see directly the difference. but are ther other values to have the sceen more sensitive?

What are the meaning of each value, more bigger is the number, more sensitive is the screen?

Thanks

I'm still doubting if the change i'm experiencing is merely psychological.

thanks for the values anyway

Guest q8doctor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback, however the discussion was off topic sometimes (camera, replacing the device <_< ), I have tried the values and to be honest I am not sure is it Placebo effect (psychological) or not. I am still looking for a software that increase the sensitivity of screen or a ROM that improve the sensitivity.

SO any one of you guys noticed major improvement after upgrading their ROM and please mention the OLD and NEW ROM.

Otherwise I think we better ask Samsung to address this problem, Tell me what do you think? :rolleyes: :)

Guest opsman05
MY SCREEN IS ALMOST TOOO SENSITIVE!!

this is what worked for me:

Improve Screen Calibration

1. Open your Registry Editor(PHM Registry Editor)

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/TOUCH/

3. Click on CalibrationData

4. Value Data change to > 519,503 177,881 182,129 847,127 849,872

5. Click OK to save it.

You may also wish to copy down the old data before you input the new one.

My OLD Value Data was 505,512 172,875 163,147 846,148 829,876 and yours might be different a bit.

Thanks for this. The screen is a lot more responsive with these settings. :rolleyes:

Guest Anh Vo
Thanks for this. The screen is a lot more responsive with these settings. :rolleyes:

As mention above, I think this is more about accuracy than sensitivity. That was just about your feeling after doing a tweak. You will need to hard press anyway.

Guest smilepak

5. Click OK to save it.

My OLD Value Data was 505,512 172,875 163,147 846,148 829,876 and yours might be different a bit.

Interesting. I've been practicing calibrating it manually using a #2 lead pencil. My actual numbers is very close to the one you have. Lol!!

Guest Maazio64

So.. am i the only one who thinks the HD interface is a little unresponsive?

Iv been comparing this to my ipod touch, which is really quite smooth (and the standard i was expecting from the HD). Can anyone compare the two for me please? If my HD is meant to be as responsive as everyone says so, it may be my device thts a little messed up.

I tried making the same changes as described above (but for my touch HD, rather than omnia). I think its made the screen more responsive to my stylus, but not to my fingers.. any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest ianbeale

5. Click OK to save it.

Cant someone help me asap.

Ive just inputted those numbers and my phone just keeps restarting when i touch the screen. I cant do anything, the lightest touch and it turns off. Please please help me.

what can i do?

Guest ianbeale
Cant someone help me asap.

Ive just inputted those numbers and my phone just keeps restarting when i touch the screen. I cant do anything, the lightest touch and it turns off. Please please help me.

what can i do?

can anyone help? im in huge trouble if i cant access my phone tommorow

Guest DaConfusion

try and reinstall the phone by using a fresh ROM from samsung, you should still be able to sync.

Try and connect your phone to your computer and search for the most recently modified file, maybe you can find the registry keys?

Guest monsterpt

Wow! This actually worked. The settings were not far from my i910 original ones but it got rid of the annoying hesitation with scrolling, zooming and draggiing. Cool thanks!

guys i have tried a new omnia in a store... screen sensitivity was way better then mine... and my phone has a later ROM then the one of the store... i guess for different HW revision for screen ( i bought my phone first days of september).

Guest Yunabeco

That means you added a space or removed one when inputing the data.

Anyway, if it restarts only when you touch the screen, you might be able to boot it up, plug it to the PC and use mobile registry editor to reset the value.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you can also well Hard Reset it. This will however clean your device memory and remove all contacts and applications (this will not erase your My Storage memory).

As the device resets, press and hold the Green Call button and the Red End Call button. More information here in this forum.

Guest squeezo
That means you added a space or removed one when inputing the data.

Anyway, if it restarts only when you touch the screen, you might be able to boot it up, plug it to the PC and use mobile registry editor to reset the value.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then you can also well Hard Reset it. This will however clean your device memory and remove all contacts and applications (this will not erase your My Storage memory).

As the device resets, press and hold the Green Call button and the Red End Call button. More information here in this forum.

I tried editing the values to other ones thru My Mobiler on the PC.

That did not work either.

I guess a hard reset is the only option now.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

5. Click OK to save it.

:) I have a Samsung I-900, and these changes did not produce any effect ... I have one of the earliest ROMs, may if I upgrade it to a newer one (in a week's time) this might change :) . keep you posted

PS. when I first made these changes, I lost some point accuracy, so I did a "screen align" :D . lost all the numbers, and had to enter them again .... anyway, no changes either way ... I wonder <_<

Edited by Dr Sam

Guest Chris@r5

Ok, maybe it IS psychological, but I don't care. This really works for me. Dragging the widgets and scrolling the menu is far better after editting the registry.

Guest dwallersv

Well, I can't say I completely understand why, but these values made a big difference for me too. I can reliably operate the SIP button now with a realtively light touch, whereas before I couldn't get the thing to recognize a press down there without pushing hard and with something finer than my big adult male thumb, no matter how carefully I calibrated the screen with the WM application.

Now, my thumb works perfectly. It works well on the [X] button to close things too, where that was problematic before. Accuracy and lighter touch seems better overall everywhere on the screen.

As for saving the old values, why bother? You can recreate them again just by going through the screen calibration procedure. Rather, saving away these values is what's useful. Easiest way is just to export the key and store it on the internal 8GB.

Guest dwallersv
(By the way, capacitive and resistive screens look different, especially under sunlight. The second layer over the first on resistive screens make it reflect and fade much more, IMO)

Speaking of which, the best damn color LCD screen I have ever seen anywhere is on my Garmin Trex Vista Cx handheld GPS. Beautiful and crisp in dim environs with the backlight. Walk out into daylight, and it's still bright and crisp, very readable, colors vivid, even in indirect sunlight (i.e. not shining directly on the display).

The Omnia, much as I love the phone, is almost unusable in direct sunlight.

Guest dwallersv

I'm guessing these are grid coordinates on the touch sensor.

Guest dwallersv

Okay gang, found this, and indeed it improved sensitivity for me noticably. My test is scrolling the Programs list -- with this change, I can sweep my right thumb up or down quickly and get the list to scroll right along. Before this change, getting the list to keep scrolling with my finger was a PITA.

Credit to Kevin for this... visit his site for a good list of hacks for the 910.

Here's the hack:

• Improve Touch Sensitivity

[ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ \ H A R D W A R E \ D E V I C E M A P \ T O U C H ]

” C l i c k ” = d w o r d : set to 2000

[ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ \ H A R D W A R E \ D E V I C E M A P \ T O U C H ]

” D o w n U p ” = d w o r d : set to 750

soft reset required

I've been interested in getting in to hacking up apps for WM6, so I think I'll get myself going with .NET 3.5 lite (or whatever it's called) and make a simple app to adjust these keys via sliders, as well as load/save the improved calibration settings. Watch this space...