Switching Contracts

Guest Afflicted.John

Guest Afflicted.John

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of switching to a Pay As You Go service such as Tesco temporarily in order to jump back to a new contract with the old provider.

I am in a pickle as my Orange M3100 (TyTn) is giving up the ghost, and I do not think it will last the next 5 months of my 18 month contract. It is no longer in warranty and when it dies...it dies!

I make use of web browsing a fair bit, especially when I am out and about and hook my laptop up to the phone, and my backup phone is a Moto V3 so pretty useless on that front. Ideally, I would like to stay with t-mobile as I think web and walk is fantastic and only Vodaphone seem to offer a similar package.

Regardless, I need a new phone and would be loathed to pay for it. So I either wait it out...or try and pay off my contract early. If I waited, could I swap to Tesco mobile with my free sim one month, and swap back to t-mobile the next?

Thoughts welcomed and happy new year!

Guest awarner (MVP)

You have to weigh up the cost of finishing your contract early, have you talked to tmob and asked about an early upgrade?

Would save porting your number over which takes time and may cost.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Not wanting to hijack a thread, but I've recently reached the point where I cannot actually justify having my own personal mobile. I send about 10 texts a month and make a couple of calls, which don't really need to be made. What is useful, but not necessary is having access to internet and email while out and about.

I think when my contract comes to an end, I may look around for alternatives. Possibly even switch to Payg and have internet add-on.