A few questions

Guest poldie

Guest poldie

I have a few questions I'm wondering if anyone here knows the answer to.

1) When I hold phone then speak to phone a contact, it repeats the contacts name (ie plays the sample of my voice it used to identify the contact). Can I turn that playback off?

2) Sometimes holding the bottom right key (end call) does nothing, or just moves the touchflo 3d selection to the right, instead of locking the phone. It seems to do this more often if I've been using the phone to surf etc, and less if I've just used it for a few seconds, as if it's busy (although it's responsive in every other respect)

3) In the messaging app, under the top line of text, I can choose between:

Gmail

Outlook E-mail

SMS \ MMS

I'd like to remove the Outlook line - I never use it - it's just Gmail or text messages for me. Can I do this?

4) When I use Fring to do Instant Messaging (which doesn't seem to pick up on all my contacts for some reason - any idea why?) it will enable and use Wifi, even if it was turned off. But if I load Opera it'll not re-enable Wifi but will simply use my phone provider (ie 3G, GPRS etc). Is there any way of getting Opera (or any app, if that's easier) to enable Wifi when loaded. I want to use it for speed, and to reduce my data usage via my phone provider, but I don't want to pay the price in battery life.

5) Has anyone had any success in using their Touch Diamond to connect to a network (Ubuntu, using Samba, or Windows - I'm not bothered which)? Surely it should be possible?

6) Can I make Opera and not Internet Explorer the default app for .html files and links in emails/text messages?

7) Has anyone had any luck getting java applets working from web pages in Opera (or Internet Explorer, as a last resort)? I can get regular midlets working in the stand alone Java client thing, but I need to be able to log into secure sites using my phone and the sites use little Java apps.

I'm sure I had another question or two but it's late and I can't remember, so this should keep you going for now!

Thanks in advance.

Guest Kevlarski
I have a few questions I'm wondering if anyone here knows the answer to.

1) When I hold phone then speak to phone a contact, it repeats the contacts name (ie plays the sample of my voice it used to identify the contact). Can I turn that playback off?

2) Sometimes holding the bottom right key (end call) does nothing, or just moves the touchflo 3d selection to the right, instead of locking the phone. It seems to do this more often if I've been using the phone to surf etc, and less if I've just used it for a few seconds, as if it's busy (although it's responsive in every other respect)

3) In the messaging app, under the top line of text, I can choose between:

Gmail

Outlook E-mail

SMS \ MMS

I'd like to remove the Outlook line - I never use it - it's just Gmail or text messages for me. Can I do this?

4) When I use Fring to do Instant Messaging (which doesn't seem to pick up on all my contacts for some reason - any idea why?) it will enable and use Wifi, even if it was turned off. But if I load Opera it'll not re-enable Wifi but will simply use my phone provider (ie 3G, GPRS etc). Is there any way of getting Opera (or any app, if that's easier) to enable Wifi when loaded. I want to use it for speed, and to reduce my data usage via my phone provider, but I don't want to pay the price in battery life.

5) Has anyone had any success in using their Touch Diamond to connect to a network (Ubuntu, using Samba, or Windows - I'm not bothered which)? Surely it should be possible?

6) Can I make Opera and not Internet Explorer the default app for .html files and links in emails/text messages?

7) Has anyone had any luck getting java applets working from web pages in Opera (or Internet Explorer, as a last resort)? I can get regular midlets working in the stand alone Java client thing, but I need to be able to log into secure sites using my phone and the sites use little Java apps.

I'm sure I had another question or two but it's late and I can't remember, so this should keep you going for now!

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer all your questions:

1) I don't use voice commander

2) happens on my phone occassionally. Sometimes it will cycle the phone numbers of a contact if in the call history when pressing the end key. I find that if it's happening I can usually press the home key and then use the long press end to lock the phone. I don't think it's a problem with the hardware key as I noticed when I used a third party locking program it sometimes wouldn't lock, and that was using a shortcut in the start menu. Not a fix I know but may save you some headaches.

3) I don't think you can remove Outlook E-mail but I may be wrong

4) not sure

5) haven't tried

6) You can try the attached file to convert settings to Opera. Doesn't work on all devices but did on mine. I'm sure some links still open in Internet Explorer but not from email or RSShub - i think they are more to do with application settings. You might need to check the following registry entry aswell:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\: DEFBROWSER

0 = Opera Browser

1 = "Windows\OperaL.exe"

You can also use Total Commander, FDCSoft Task Manager or another registry tool to edit this key. You can also use them to assign associations to files in a similar way to Windows so if there is a particular filetype you want changing you can set it to "Windows\OperaL.exe".

7) never tried

Opera_Default_REG.cab

Guest newtonmj

Just to help fill in the gaps (or one of them anyway):

There are several file explorers that can access Samba/SMB shares. My favourite is Resco File Explorer. I think Total Commander can also (but I've not used it).

Mathew