Token2Shell SSH for Windows Mobile - free RC testing!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
wm_ssh2_rcp.png
I've lost count of the number of times i've seen messages asking for advanced SSH clients for Windows Mobile. Obviously this is due to the high geek : 'normal person' ratio (:rolleyes:) of Windows Mobile users, but the truth is that the options are limited for our devices.

In the past i've used MToken from Choung Networks for my needs, and i'm delighted to announce that they have a new version - renamed Token2Shell - on the way, which you can test exclusively as a MoDaCo member FREE in Release Candidate form!

Prior to releasing the final version of the software, work is underway on supporting items such as the user's manual, online order schedule, software activation server etc. and since these things will take a couple of months, we're working with Choung Networks to let you test out the software today! The RC version of Token2Shell/Mobile is fully functional, however it does not include any user help file or documentation and will expire on February 28, 2009.

The download links (you must be logged in to MoDaCo to download!):

1) Token2Shell/Mobile for Windows Mobile 5/6 (Standard/Classic/Professional)

- Installer: Token2Shell.mobile.v5rc1.20081221.setup.exe
- CAB file: Token2Shell.mobile.v5rc1.20081221.cab.zip
2) Token2Shell for Windows 2000/XP/Vista

- Installer: Token2Shell.desktop.v5rc1.20081221.setup.exe
You can read more in this post on the Developer's site... let us know how you get on with the application and thanks to Choung Networks for giving MoDaCo members this opportunity!

P

Awesome! Can't wait to try out some Drupal theme/module editing down the pub. (It's stupidly QUIET in there, I need something to do sometimes, ok?!)

Edit: I notice Choung Networks are using Drupal for their website... clever boys :rolleyes:

Edited by NikLP

Guest ckc123

Finally someone who is able to properly support the ESC key, and even have it mappable.. way to go..!!!

I love the mapable keys and macros, and the way the password prompt is very visible.

Finally someone who is able to properly support the ESC key, and even have it mappable.. way to go..!!!

I love the mapable keys and macros, and the way the password prompt is very visible.

this maybe a dumb question, but has anyone managed to get public/private keys working?

Guest UndeadDevil

Good SSH Client, fully usable. But I wish PocketPuTTy was still maintained, no Desktop SSH Client beats PuTTy Tray in my opinion (I use PuTTy Tray via Wine in Linux!)

How much are they going to charge for this app? It shouldn't be expensive (Think 5UKP/8USD max) as its a simple utility. I for one need a decent SSH Client on my mobile (Fixing a server from *the pub on* your PDA = Win)

Edited by UndeadDevil

How much are they going to charge for this app? It shouldn't be expensive (Think 5UKP/8USD max) as its a simple utility. I for one need a decent SSH Client on my mobile (Fixing a server from *the pub on* your PDA = Win)

If memory serves, the last version was like 40 bucks or something, way too expensive for such a small app.

I *finally* just got this working after about a billion attempts. Probably more of a reflection on my host configuration that this, but I find it odd that it should come preconfigured at use keys rather than the normal shell user/pass combo.

I'm really happy that the default font size is stupidly small, but in these days of long days and headaches, even I am going to increase that I think...!

EDIT: How do we get use of the ESC key exactly??

EDIT2: Also, how the hell does one have it so that you can SEE what you're typing?!

Edited by NikLP

Guest tgwaste

FINALLY an appropriate SSH client. with a DAMN mappable control/esc key.

very very impressed so far.

the ONLY thing im worried about is that these guys are known for their high prices.

anyone know how much this is gonna cost? :)

full screen kind of breaks emulation though.. maybe this breaks on a 320x320 screen?

I am unable to minimize this app. any attempts close the connection. this is counter intuitive to a multi-threaded device.

:D

should make the center key mappable as well.

Edited by tgwaste

Guest ameerkat
... let us know how you get on with the application and thanks to Choung Networks for giving MoDaCo members this opportunity!

As someone who's struggling to any decent raw telnet client on Windows Mobile to work, this offers some hope! I'm attempting to connect via an (old, very old) 9600 baud modem interface to one of our UNIX systems here, and the only application which gets anywhere close is this RC of Token2Shell. Not even mToken - well, the 'Lite' version I'm evaluating - will connect. Changing the system isn't an option, and VXHPC Plus and ZTerm are failing miserably also.

Unfortunately as soon as complex - 80x24 - data comes down the line, the application crashes... we get through the login screen and bam, app restarts. Testing on an HTC Touch Cruise, because the Advantages we have won't currently accept forced connecting to GSM... (that's another problem, for another day).

Regarding price, well, $40US would be fine by me, as long as the thing works. Of course it's the business paying, not me... the sooner a bug-fixed release can come, the better.

Guest tsaros-se
Regarding price, well, $40US would be fine by me, as long as the thing works. Of course it's the business paying, not me... the sooner a bug-fixed release can come, the better.

Maximum $100 would make me buy it, regardless if i or the company pays for it.

Dident read what i quoted, edited my post to make more sense :)

Edited by tsaros-se

Guest tgwaste
Maximum $100 would make me buy it, regardless if i or the company pays for it.

Dident read what i quoted, edited my post to make more sense :)

you guys must work for the company.

$100 is absurd.

$19.95 should be the price.

Guest tsaros-se

$100 is absurd.

I'm not working for the company, i work for a ISP and most of the time i am on call 24/7, having a proper ssh client utilizing the full resolution of my phone would make me not having to carry a laptop with me everywhere.

That to me is worth $100, less would be nice but in my book it is not over the top with $100.

If i had some other kind of a job or if i was not on call i would not even want ssh in my mobile device and then it would be worth nothing to me.

Like Paul said, if you need it (like i do) then you are willing to pay for it.

Guest etterpack

I just installed it but looks like I cannot use ssh DSA/RSA certificates.

I use an encrypted folder in my device, this folder has been set as the new home folder, the client created in it their working folders (address.book, options, ssh) and I could also save a new entry in the address book, but I am unable to enter in the address configuration a path for the DSA/RSA key file, I just see a "No File" grey selection.

I also tried to put the certificate file in the "key" folder but nothing. I guess Token2Shell expects a particular extension for key files, any clue?

Guest tgwaste
I'm not working for the company, i work for a ISP and most of the time i am on call 24/7, having a proper ssh client utilizing the full resolution of my phone would make me not having to carry a laptop with me everywhere.

That to me is worth $100, less would be nice but in my book it is not over the top with $100.

If i had some other kind of a job or if i was not on call i would not even want ssh in my mobile device and then it would be worth nothing to me.

Like Paul said, if you need it (like i do) then you are willing to pay for it.

I have the same job and i would rather use putty in a pinch then pay $100.

problem is if it costs $100 people will just steal it. its unfortunate but true.

:D I'm bloody love this application since mtoken, until now token2shell is still perfect match with my job.

:) But I got some problem lately this passed year with many of new pda phone not support mtoken, especially with HTC.

;) And finally I bought brand new HTC Touch HD, with not so sure with mtoken compatibility.

:) Yeah it's not work with mtoken again, then I saw this new version of mtoken thread and it's work with my HD.

:P But some feature in token2Shell I still can't find how to press "ESC" to terminal?

*** just let me know when I sell this program, will be the first one to get one from you.

Thanks mate.

Guest ameerkat

$100 is absurd.

Unfortunately no, I work in traffic signals...

As per subsequent replies - if you need it, you'll pay. As it stands this could do the job of a netbook with a mobile phone duck-taped to the back (and no, I'm not joking) without the risk of getting mugged for it in some of the more 'tasty' areas of the UK; for this it is worth any sensible asking price.

Unfortunately it seems to be fully broken on the HTC Athena 400 / Advantage 7510 / O2 XDA Flint / whatever code name you fancy.

As a side, you need to upgrade firmware on the aforementioned handset to 3.32.206.4 before it'll stick to a GSM network, and ignore HSDPA... I guess this is what you get for using pre-release hardware!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I also tried to put the certificate file in the "key" folder but nothing. I guess Token2Shell expects a particular extension for key files, any clue?

I put both my public and private keys (openssh, not putty) in the key folder, and it worked -- I had to rearrange the auth methods to try publickey first, though, or it would hang and fail.

Very nice, very slick, and very fast. The file transfer ability is neat, too. I hope the price is reasonable -- I don't need this for work, but would love to buy it for play. PocketPutty takes forever to connect, but I'd probably stick with it if the price was over $30 or so. (Then again, that $50 price people keep quoting was for multiple licenses, right?)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsutton

Any updates to this?

I've tried out zaTelnet Professional and it works well, but don't want to shell out for zaTelnet Professional if this Token2shell does better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.