Touch HD or Touch Pro (soon to be Vario IV)

Guest flyswat

Guest flyswat

Not sure if this is in the right section...

Are there many differences between the Touch HD and the Touch Pro/Vario IV, other than the keyboard and the massive screen of the Touch HD? I would prefer Touch HD, but it seems unlikely that T-Mobile will have it, at least in the short time, and my current phone is knackered. The Vario IV seems like a good phone (the keyboard would be useful), but I would be somewhat reluctant to get it if the Touch HD has a lot more ram for example, or far better battery life.

Any/all advice welcome.

Thanks

Guest Monolithix

Both devices are fantastic and under the hood are basically the same hardware, so it comes down to personal preference. The Pro's keyboard is one of the best i've ever used, however the screen is particularly small. The HD's screen is stark contrast to this of course and looks glorious! Having used the pro before getting my HD I can't say I really miss the keyboard.

Guest jchamier
Having used the pro before getting my HD I can't say I really miss the keyboard.

What's typing like on the screen? It is portrait or landscape? I have an iPod Touch and whilst the keyboard is ok to replace a T9 predictive feature phone, its not the same as the qwerty on the Kaiser, or even the old Hermes.

I did pop into an Orange store yesterday, (mistake I know), and the 19yr old (it seemed) salesman was very pleased to have the phone on display, he thought it was "amazing" and "you can watch HD movies on it".

I didn't laugh. Although I suspect he needs a quick eduction. (1920x1080 !=480x800 )

Edited by jchamier

Guest Monolithix
I didn't laugh. Although I suspect he needs a quick eduction. (1920x1080 !=480x800 )

Indeed :rolleyes:

I use the HTC 20-key on screen keyboard and find it really easy to use, even when I had a Diamond I was able to tap out emails at a decent number of WPM. The HD is bigger obviously which only helps and using Touch Response for haptics is great. I almost exclusively use it in portrait mode, but the full qwerty is just about big enough to use comfortably in landscape (I need to install gyrator or gsen and get other apps rotating!)

Guest jchamier
Indeed :)

And I obviously need a spell checker training course. "eduction" ? Hmm. LOL.

I use the HTC 20-key on screen keyboard and find it really easy to use, even when I had a Diamond I was able to tap out emails at a decent number of WPM. The HD is bigger obviously which only helps and using Touch Response for haptics is great. I almost exclusively use it in portrait mode, but the full qwerty is just about big enough to use comfortably in landscape (I need to install gyrator or gsen and get other apps rotating!)

Okay, whats the 20key keyboard in comparison to the virtual keyboard on the Kaiser (with WM6.1), which is significantly easier to use than the one on the Hermes (wm6 or wm5) ?? I've not seen one. The Orange Shop kid (he was seriously under 20, and looked the oldest there, scary to me, I'm only 33 !) didn't yet have a demo model, but he'd played with one at another store the day before, so he couldn't show me.

Guest digidales
The HD's screen is stark contrast to this of course and looks glorious! Having used the pro before getting my HD I can't say I really miss the keyboard.

Hi, if you have an HD, how good is the camera especially the video quality?

My m3100 (hermes) has died and I am due an upgrade and the video was really pants on the M3100.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix

jchamier: Sorry for the belated reply, it's probably too late however the 20-key layout is attached. Once you're used to it it's really quick to use (or at least I find it is :))

digidales: The camera is the standard HTC fayre(sp?). It can be good in the right lighting but it's nothing to write home about. qVGA video only too...

post-993-1232801882_thumb.png