Sharing Internet and Files from Laptop to Omnia via WiFI (WinXP to WM 6.1))

Guest Alex81

I did a lot of research on this but this is my final solution for sharing internet and files

from a Laptop (WinXP) to Omnia (WM 6.1) over WiFi

1. To make it clear you need to have a cable LAN internet connection going in the laptop as well as a WiFi card fully installed;

also the WiFi has to be activated on the Omnia Phone.

2. SETING UP THE LAPTOP (WIN XP)

A. For Internet sharing use this tutorial: http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-28619.html

(the Win XP part is in the second half of the movie)

B. For Files sharing:  

- Create a second user account on WinXP (not administrator)

-  Disable simple file sharing from Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View  

- Right click on any folder in explorer and share the folder (first time press on “just enable file sharing”)  

- if you need to send files also in the oposite way, from Omnia to the Laptop you can also activate in the same place Sharing>Permissions>Full control for that specific folder

- some people reported having problems because of the WinXP firewall so keep in mind that in case u can't connect (it works fine for me even with the firewall activated)

3. SETTING UP THE OMNIA (WM 6.1)

A.  As soon as the internet sharing is in place on the Laptop, Omnia will find the WiFi network and try to connect (select the same options you did on the Laptop; Shared Network, same 5 characters network access password)

Go to Phone Settings> Connections> Browser Connection and make sure it’s set to “Automatically detect settings”, then check again the   same thing in Opera's settings

B. Now, for seeing the files shared by your computer install this "V-Mobile Software Network Browser v1.3" on your phone

http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php...hlight=V-Mobile

Once you opened the “Network Browser” you will see your computer in MSHome Network. Using the same user account and password you've set up in the WinXP accounts you can now connect and access your Laptop shared files from the phone.

*Alternatively, you can use also Resco File Explorer>Menu>File>Network>Map Drive to search for the shared folders 

** For people concerned about the security of their computers after all this sharings: both the Internet and Files sharing are quite secure as long as you use some reasonable strong passwords 

*** Please note that this tutorial has NOTHING TO DO with sharing Internet and Files from Omnia to a Laptop over WiFi. 

If there is somebody who can’t do it, or they have any addition to make to this tutorial, or even other solution please reply to this post.

Edited by Alex81

1. You need to have the internet coming from somewhere to be able to share it ... In my case I have a regular LAN cable internet connection from the university hub. (you could have a dial-up or whatever other type of internet connection)

The WiFi is used only for sharing the internet to your phone.

2. The file explorer built in WM 6.1 for some reason doesn’t let you browse the network computers (at least it didn’t allowed it to me), so this is why I recommended a third party application.

If you can do it with WM6.1 explorer, please let me know how.

1. why u need cable when u r using wifi?

2. why using 3rd party application when u can just use omnia file explorer?

Edited by Alex81

I'm soon gonna let you know if I could set up ActiveSync over WiFi using:

1. This tutorial: http://www.wifizard.com/tutorialsXP/sync/sync-1.htm

2. Version 3.8 of ActiveSync which can be found here: http://www.oldversion.com/download/msasync38b5004.exe

*** It seams the WiFi option in ActiveSync has been removed by Microsoft starting with version 4.0, because they considered it to be an "unsafe" connection.

Later Post Edit:

Well ....it can't be done .... because WM 6.1 only works with ActiveSync 4.5 or higher (this is the message I received when using ActiveSync 3.8)

Edited by Alex81

1. Internet sharing without internet sharing:

Plug in the USB cable with any pc or notebook with internet connection, omnia will use the connection, without any settings

2. File sharing via wifi (2 ways)

a. file explorer>Menu>open path>new path>\\yournotebookname\sharedfolder

or

b. enable NETWORK folder (registry): Go to file explorer>network> then you can see all shared folder in your notebook or other connected PCs

3. You can also setup active sync using bluetooth, safer for people who are using activesync (latest version) for flashing ROM

1. I know about the direct internet connection via Samsung cable and ActiveSync, but the whole idea was NOT to use a cable between the phone and the computer:

a) because of the damage that might be caused in time to the connectors

b ) because it allows me a mobility of 10 m around the computer, playing internet radio and other software without having to touch my laptop 

c) the file transfer is faster over WiFi than USB ActiveSync as much as I can see (* of course is not faster than USB Mass Storage mode)

d) u can set up any other computer that has a wireless card to lend you their internet (I'm not carrying the cable with me all the time) , as long as you have administrator rights!

e) I already have too many cables connected to my USB ports

2. The solution you gave for using WM explorer is very good, if it works for you, but it surely doesn't  work for me.

3. For me the Bluetooth connection wasn't an option because I don’t have Bluetooth on my laptop, but only WiFi.  

I fully recommend to connect to internet and file sharing using ActiveSync over Bluetooth when available but I'm not sure if the performance matches the WiFi connection presented here because ActiveSync is very slow and also Bluetooth doesn't have the data transfer rate of the WiFi, as much as I know.

Anyway, I found this software "kind of similar" to ActiveSync which allows one to control the PPC over an WiFi connection: "Virtual CE 4.0", but doesn't have all of the ActiveSync functions.

1. Internet sharing without internet sharing:

Plug in the USB cable with any pc or notebook with internet connection, omnia will use the connection, without any settings

2. File sharing via wifi (2 ways)

a. file explorer>Menu>open path>new path>\\yournotebookname\sharedfolder

or

b. enable NETWORK folder (registry): Go to file explorer>network> then you can see all shared folder in your notebook or other connected PCs

3. You can also setup active sync using bluetooth, safer for people who are using activesync (latest version) for flashing ROM

Edited by Alex81

Guest olandir

Okay... I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding the question... but for me getting files from my computer via Wi-Fi is EXTREMELY easy... I use use this app. It's a network folder plugin for Win Mobile. Basically it creates a folder called "Network" at the root of your file structure and allows you to map drives. The plugin installs itself in the under Settings -> Connections tab. And basically you map folders just as you would map them on a computer, you need the network path, username password and domain (if on a network) and then you give it a friendly name.

I have no idea where I got this from. I thought i got it from www.download.com but I can't find it again. I know it was free (I only get free stuff) so I am just posting the cab file here. It works, I use it all the time. Never have any problems. All I do is enable my wi-fi then if I want to get files from a network folder I just browse to "Network" root folder.

Occasionally it does lag for several seconds if you haven't connected to the network folder in a while, I guess it's looking for it again. Other than that, no problems. I will try to find the link to the actual product again.

Network_Folder_Plugin.cab

Guest lastnikita
b. enable NETWORK folder (registry)

Ok, I've known for ages the network folder plugin stated in the post just above mine, but I've never heard of a registry trick. Could you please post the trick here ? Thanks.

Guest olandir
Ok, I've known for ages the network folder plugin stated in the post just above mine, but I've never heard of a registry trick. Could you please post the trick here ? Thanks.

So do you know where the network plugin is (where to download it from). I've forgotten where I found it. (Sad I know)

So do you know where the network plugin is (where to download it from). I've forgotten where I found it. (Sad I know)

Guys,

About the v-mobile I can't access the site given above.....(http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php...hlight=V-Mobile)

But I only get the trial version, anybody have the seial keycode for it?

Sorry for asking this.......

And I also not familiar with the network settings for my Omnia and my laptop communications, I'm using vista for my laptop.....

Just wish u guys and lead me step by step of the network settings for both my mobile and laptop....

Thanks & Regards...... :)

Edited by Kira Y