Help - if at all possible?!

Guest glennd

Hi All,

This is going to sound really cheeky, but I'm still having problems updating my phone with the CD that came with my HTC HD. I'm an Apple user and wondered if anyone out there who lived in the Solihull/Coventry area with a Windows PC would be willing to help me set up my phone and get the hot fix. This is my first smart phone and I would really like to use it to the best of its ability. I would be extremely grateful. Please private me if you would be willing to help - I will travel, unless you prefer to come to me.

Cheers

Glen

I really understand your flight my friend, unfortunately i live far away to be able to come to you - Nigeria. But you come e-mail me if that will be absolutely necessary and we will do it step by step!I need to know what you really needed because your post is not very clear.

[email protected]

Guest jonajuna

theres nothing on the cd thats of any interest to a mac user (or anyone else really). its got outlook 2007 trial and the user manual.

go back to your other thread for sync issues : http://www.modaco.com/content/blackstone-b...ac/#entry954013

the answers there will allow you to sync your HD with your mac, assuming you have scheduling software that is compatible

as for the hot fixes. what are you after exactly? the hotfixes are unlikely to be on the cd, the ones on HTC's site are exe files. copy direct to your HD and run them there.

the hotfix linky : http://www.htc.com/europe/supportdownloadl...=sd&cat=all

btw, you dont want to apply any hotfixes that you are not 100% sure you need as most of them seem to bring other problems!

an alternative is to flash your rom to a newer version, although afaik, you need a windoze pc to run the flashing software

finally, you could always ditch your mac and get a pc! :rolleyes: (i tease!!)

Edited by jonajuna

Hi Both,

Thanks for the replies and the words of wisdom!

Alkali - I will email you in a day or two. Thanks.

Jonajuna - I have been sorely tempted to get a PC, but alas will stick to my Mac - no offence taken! At least I know that I'm not missing much from the CD, I thought perhaps there might have been extra's on there, perhaps that's what the trials are.

I'll check the link out and see what I can learn and with regards to the hot fixes, there is 1 I believe which is the operating system (1.14?) and the hot fix is from under 1.19? Is that the one you refer in the 2nd link.

Thanks again for your help and replying.

Cheers

Glen

Guest jonajuna

theres a few hotfixes, as you will see.

the main one seems to be for fixing the occasional "screen freeze" in the 1.14 rom release, roms of 1.19 and above (im running a cooked rom from a 1.21 base! :rolleyes: ) if you suffer with the freeze problem, get the hotfix

theres another for the slider bar on the phone screen, but this is alledged to cause more problems than it fixes

and the topbar flicker, we seem to be ok on the whole in uk, seems its other language roms that get the problem,

as i said before, DONT apply hotfixes unless you need to do so, theres nthing to be gained from a hot fix for a problem you dont have

as you seem to be desperate to squeeze every last drop of function out of your HD (and i dont blame you, im the same) go and have a look at some of the cooked roms over on xda dev as well as some of the great (freeware) utils some users make. im currently using a free app from there that converts video files with one click to make them run as well as can be done on the HD... and now im watching near HD video on my HD fone! :)

the xdadev wiki for our lovely HTCTHD

Guest MikeWard1701

Hi Glen, couple of possible solutions for you;

Have you tried downloading the hotfix directly through the HD? By going to HTCs website in Opera/PIE.

What mac do you have?

A possiblity might be to install Bootcamp/VirtuaPC and a version of Windows. Never tried running windows on a mac myself, but I hear it works 99% of the time (some saying it runs better than on a PC lol). Another plus point with this is you can run lots of other cool PC software :rolleyes:

Hope these help,

Mike

JonaJuna - I appear to only have the screen freeze problem, so will try to get that resolved. Thanks for the other info, always useful to know.

Mike - I wasn't aware that you could download the fix direct to your phone? That sounds like one to try? I'll take another look at the website, but I think I read somewhere that you have to take to fix to a PC then to the phone - I'll let you know if I'm successful! I'm sure there must be a manual "HTC for Dummies :rolleyes:

I've also already looked at segregating some of my Mac hardrive for Windows - but still looking into this, again, I'll let you know how I get on. I'm better shown his sort of thing rather than reading instructions - I'm just grateful for any help received.

Thanks again

Glen

Guest jonajuna

Glen, if you cant get it direct from your fone, or want to save your data plan! download it to your (eek) mac, then just copy stright to your memory card via a card reader.

the hotfixes are .exe files but are run on the touch rather than the pc

so... download>copy to sd>find file on touch>run

good luck

btw, if you do get access to a pc, and fancy flashing the rom, the roms (official or not) that are version 1.19 or higher, dont have the screen freeze problem

although saying that, mine still freezes on occassion, but that is more a generic WM problem, ie a crash!!! something i suspect you as a mac user are not used to?

(see i can slag off my favoured OS too :) )

JJ,

Thanks again for your very informative tips, I have tried to download to my (eek??) Mac and this is the message that greets me....The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /cp/SupportDownload.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Shall I give up now? I'm in total despair and think that the screen freeze is not too bad after all! Other than that....I'll become a PC and not a Mac!.

Am I right to assume that Zummerzet is Somerset? Next time I visit my brother in law look out for a man waving a Mac! and that's an Apple Mac, not a flasher mac!

Cheers

Glen