Talking Point: What keeps you stuck on Windows Mobile, and what tempts you away?

Guest PaulOBrien

iTunes can import WMA, but I've not tried syncing any with an iPod. Surely you should keep music in a neutral format such as MP3 ;-)

Yes, and I can etch records onto my eyes, but WMA is a superior format, and iTunes is Satan (that is, if I believed in such things, and if such things could be stored as data, and not as real things... But ignore the technicalities, iTunes is rubbish! [iMHO of course])

Guest nickcornaglia

Following this off topic thought....all of my music used to be WMA. I ripped 200 CDs into WMA in my PC days and have recently completed converting everything to MP3. iTunes was unable to import ANY of my WMAs so I'm not sue if the above statement is true. But with the help of a third party app and a bit of manual cleaning up....I will never choose anything other than MP3.

Maybe a new topic could be a dedicated WinMo vs iPhone debate....Two years later! :)

Guest nickcornaglia
Apps (although the app store may make things "easy" to get) have to be developed on an Intel based Mac, with a $100 SDK (I can compile things on my phone for free!) and then get disassembled by Apple to make sure you're not "duplicating core functionality" or doing anything that could be remotely useful to end users, rather than replicating instantrimshot.com, or a coin toss (since you won't have any money left after you by the thing).

For the record, I used to think this same way....but although there are alot of crap apps in the Apple AppStore....there are alot of nice apps in there too! But we could always use more!

Following this off topic thought....all of my music used to be WMA. I ripped 200 CDs into WMA in my PC days and have recently completed converting everything to MP3. iTunes was unable to import ANY of my WMAs so I'm not sue if the above statement is true. But with the help of a third party app and a bit of manual cleaning up....I will never choose anything other than MP3.

Maybe a new topic could be a dedicated WinMo vs iPhone debate....Two years later! :)

WinMo still wins!

For the record, I used to think this same way....but although there are alot of crap apps in the Apple AppStore....there are alot of nice apps in there too! But we could always use more!
You could always use more ...crap... apps? Well don't worry they're coming faster than anything I might want to pay for, and since I'd rather knife myself than buy an iPhone, I will never need to buy a crap app anyway...

There are far more apps for windows mobile than for the iPhone, and there always will be. There will also be far more worthwhile applications for windows mobile, as the SDK doesn't forbid useful things unlike the iPhones SDK.

Guest nickcornaglia

Well you seem very adamant in your opinions and thats okay. There used to be a day when I agreed with you...but not anymore. Depends on your individual needs. Another WinMo/iPhone thread topic....name your 10 ten apps and someone list their equivelent on the other side! :)

Guest jchamier
There are far more apps for windows mobile than for the iPhone, and there always will be. There will also be far more worthwhile applications for windows mobile, as the SDK doesn't forbid useful things unlike the iPhones SDK.

but being "open" (like WinMo) can mean that you get applications that can corrupt data, and slow down the device. Apple may be playing the "keep it closed, keep it stable" card...? Thus no ability to sync to the calendar/contacts on the iPhone from an app.

Guest Confucious

Haven't looked back since I got my iPhone. I have no problem with the on screen keyboard. Only miss proper satnav but love the ease of use - without a stylus!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Well you seem very adamant in your opinions and thats okay. There used to be a day when I agreed with you...but not anymore. Depends on your individual needs. Another WinMo/iPhone thread topic....name your 10 ten apps and someone list their equivelent on the other side! :)

Oooh, I like that idea! Next week! :D

P

Guest ctmagnus

What keeps me hooked on it atm is all Exchange: Category sync, free/busy status, and tasks sync. If Apple implemented those I would likely jump ship at this point.

The temptress is the availability of several key apps for the iPhone/iPod touch. Those apps are Evernote, eWallet, and Remember The Milk (in conjunction with MilkSync on the Windows Mobile end). Also, Freshbooks, Facebook, Brightkite, and (Delicious) Bookmarks, among many, many others.

I suppose ListPro could be considered to be holding me to WM as well, although Ilium has stated that they are working on porting it over.

Stick:

Modify the phone the way i wanted it.

Outlook sync

Tempt away:

Having to tweak the phone out the box for it to work as a phone.

I use to only buy winmo handsets ever since the original SPV tried symbian but always cam back to winmo .

Since buying an iphone ..had the 2g since release and bought the 3g on release ive not looked back....love the thing...it just works and works well for me.

Ive bought an X1 and 2x HDs in the time ive had my iphone but just couldnt give up the iphone.

Only thing thats missing for me is a good turn by turn nav app.

Edited by J273

Guest nokiaguy

iv read this thread and to be honest some of you seem proper dissatisfied with windows.iv been using a vario3 for 18 months now and to be honest theres times its a superb device and a lot of times its a pain in the behind.

the things i like are the big screen and the simple black letters on a white background when messaging and that its voice dialling is the best iv used on any device.

what i cant stand is the temperamental wifi having to input the key when it says the key is incorrect when it breaks connection.that it doesnt respond when the screen is tapped and even more so when the buttons dont select anything either.oh and having to use a poxy little switch to power on the device.

i wanna try a wm smartphone but stumping up the cash to buy 1 and get similar problems would really annoy me.

as my username suggests nokia and moreso s60 courses through my veins.upgrade time is looming i think il be getting an n95 8gig.

Guest deadphill
As to operator branded devices, you paid less for your device so quit whining. Or, buy a network unlocked device from expansys with a contract, and you'll get it sooner and without the branding!

Err no I dont think I will quit my whining. Who cares how I got hold of my phone, Im paying for it one way or another. Who gives anyone the right to dictate how I want a service to run and also how I get my software on my phone.

That might be how you like it, and it might be how you get some justification to yourself for buying an unbranded phone, but thats your decision.

As a consumer, I want all the things I have listed. If people want to pick me up as a customer, its down to them to listen. Remember the customer is always right.

Cheers

Phill

Guest Neil5459
What keeps me hooked on it atm is all Exchange: Category sync, free/busy status, and tasks sync.

..but MS have broken the sync of recurring tasks over Exchange with WM6.1/Exchange Server 2007 :D

Normal tasks sync fine, and recurring tasks sync OK if recycled on a PC, but recurring tasks recycled on the PPC have an incorrect start date - it gets set the the current date not the correct start date so show as overdue, when they may not if fact be due. MS are apparently aware of this, but not doing anything about it :)

Apart from that I'm still 100% WinMo. I'm happy with my Touch Diamond and XDA Flint, though the netbook has ruffled the status quo a little.

I've been using WinMo/PPC since 2001, and was a Psion user before. I've tried Symbian and didn't like the poor interface and slow device (a Nokia of some sort- can't remember which!). So, I've a great deal of 'stored' expertise in WinMo which means there is little that I can't deal with. My son's iPhone is OK- very nice UI, but too big and too limited in function out of the box. The sheer breadth of programs available for the WM p;atform make it still the leading tool for small businesses.

There is no doubt that the advent of the iPhone, and to an extent Android is giving MS pause for thought. While the nice WinMo shell programs add a layer of user friendly interface to the UI, the underlying OS is still very much stylus driven. Hopefully the delay in WinMo 7 is to allow MS to work more on the underlying OS, though we may need new hardware for it to run correctly.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Well ... I've become a bit disillusioned of late with Windows mobile. The new ROM's and skins are only covering up the aged OS.

Initially I bought the Kaiser as I wanted something to use out and about. I decided that I then needed the hosted exchange mailbox, which is fantastic. Since then my requirements are instantly for a phone which does proper PUSH email.

Anyway with the omnia I think I may have installed a bit of tat which is slowing it down, as it's become mega sluggish. I think I had grown weary of the foibles which windows mobile demonstrates. I looked around at the alternatives :

G1 - Interesting OS, plastic handset. OS is great if you have mainly Google mail and services.

BlackBerry - Storm - Nice handset, wierdness with the funny screen and clicking. But no wifi.

Bold - Lovely handset, nice keys, great screen and has wifi too!

Blackberry OS - Fine, apart from hosting provider for email want to charge double that of an exchange account just for BES. No chance ... not viable!

iPhone - I love my iPod touch, it's great. Internet experience is brilliant. But the iPod for me was a bit of an unknown. It was stuck on the O2 network, which I get no signal at home. Until the dev team released Yellowsn0w. I admit to having impulse purchases a PAYG iPhone 3G 16GB and installed yellowsn0w. I now have a iPhone 3g working on T-Mobile. I have installed applications so that I can send/receive MMS, an updated camera application which allows finer control, a video recording application, and a tethering application. To be honest there are few things that the Omnia does, which the iphone cannot. These are copynpaste, GPS turn-by-turn navigation .... oh and appointments on the iphone cannot have people invited to them!

The media player on the iphone is great, there's a cool app called locly which you can fire up and instantly tells you where certain things are near to you. It seems to cache location info for rapid searches.

I'm very impressed and very much in a quandry about the future of the Omnia! :S

Have I turned to the dark side?

Edited by WearTheFoxHat

Guest ctmagnus
..but MS have broken the sync of recurring tasks over Exchange with WM6.1/Exchange Server 2007 :)

Normal tasks sync fine, and recurring tasks sync OK if recycled on a PC, but recurring tasks recycled on the PPC have an incorrect start date - it gets set the the current date not the correct start date so show as overdue, when they may not if fact be due. MS are apparently aware of this, but not doing anything about it :D

I've not seen that one yet. Using WM6.1 since October and Exchange 2007 for it seems like forever. :) When I complete a task on the device, the "recurred" task has the new correct start date. Even after a sync.

Guest Confucious
iv read this thread and to be honest some of you seem proper dissatisfied with windows.iv been using a vario3 for 18 months now and to be honest theres times its a superb device and a lot of times its a pain in the behind.

the things i like are the big screen and the simple black letters on a white background when messaging and that its voice dialling is the best iv used on any device.

what i cant stand is the temperamental wifi having to input the key when it says the key is incorrect when it breaks connection.that it doesnt respond when the screen is tapped and even more so when the buttons dont select anything either.oh and having to use a poxy little switch to power on the device.

i wanna try a wm smartphone but stumping up the cash to buy 1 and get similar problems would really annoy me.

as my username suggests nokia and moreso s60 courses through my veins.upgrade time is looming i think il be getting an n95 8gig.

The shift key and punctuation keys obviously don't work on your phone....

I've just come from an N95 (before which I had an M3100/TyTn and a C500/Typhoon).

I would have probably got another Symbian device if Nokia had released any worthwhile upgrade to the N95 since its release, due to the great camera and hardware keypad, but they haven't. I also enjoyed the development via Python, which has quite a strong community on S60, but not many native extensions available on WM.

I would have probably gone for an iPhone if Orange offered it, due to the great UI and the powerful accessible graphics hardware behind it, although I would have missed out on the development side.

In the end, I went for the Touch HD. It's okay, but I miss the hardware keypad. Touchpal is very good, but still not as easy to use. It also suffers from not having hardware powerful enough to drive the great screen (e.g. full-screen video). Seeing some of the graphically impressive software running on the iPhone is a bit disappointing. While I don't use Facebook, it seems incredible that there still isn't a great WM native client for it after all this time (although there are some attempts and ongoing efforts at improvement in some clients, such as XDAFBPPC). And why, with all the different resolutions of screens on WM, do applications still not adapt to different resolutions? I'd have thought this was pretty simple to do in most applications (2D games excluded, although I'd hope that they'd at least just run in the corner of a screen, rather than not at all).

So, what keeps me with WM? Nothing better available as an upgrade on my network, really!

Also, is there a good free way to get in to C# development? I'm very familiar with C++, but don't really like Windows development (having had terrible times in the past writing threaded COM objects - *shudder*) and also fancied trying something different. I think that you need the latest full version of VS to do it normally. Has anyone tried SharpDevelop? Is the code it generates as fast as VS?

Guest Animefan

What keeps me:

Mostly the fact that this thing is WINDOWS :)

Office, and all the goodies

And most importantly WLM with send/recieve files and display pics + voice clips

What lures me away:

Nothing really, anything without windows is for idiots

Guest Neil5459
I've not seen that one yet. Using WM6.1 since October and Exchange 2007 for it seems like forever. :) When I complete a task on the device, the "recurred" task has the new correct start date. Even after a sync.

The bug is reported in more detail here. There is an amount of 'off topic' stuff in the thread, but 3 of those replying have seen the issue, and there is a link in the 1st post to the relevant MS Connect forum (though a lot of folk can't seem to access that forum!)

Ironically the webmaster of the site, a dedicated WinMo user, now uses an iPhone because the Exchange Task sync works properly, and he makes extensive use of recurring tasks :D

Guest Neil5459
Luckily I still use Exchange 2003 (well SBS 2003) but need an iPhone to get HTML email - how come Apple's Exchange Synch works better than MS's?

Now that is a very good question, to which I suspect there isn't a very good answer :)

Apples Exchange stuff does need add-on programs to be fully functional, especially as regards Task Sync, but these are available from the App Store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.