ROM for SPB Interface

Guest miles_muso

Guest miles_muso

Hi All,

After using an M2D ROM for some time, I've finally decided (or at least I think so) to go back to the SPB Mobile Shell interface. I would love someone to cook me a ROM that's optimized for this software, ideally with FunContact, SMSChat and ThumbCal as default applications.

There's a large community of SPB users on the SPB Forum who would all jump at the chance to install an SPB-optimized ROM, but no-one that I know of has cooked one yet. So I'm sure there will be plenty of donations for the right ROM.

I'm thinking along the lines of a CLEAN or LITE ROM with the latest firmware, something like PaSSoa's LE ROM. I personally don't use MS Office, so I wouldn't miss that too much - maybe a CAB option?

If any cookers are interested, please respond to this thread or PM me.

Thanks guys!

Hi All,

After using an M2D ROM for some time, I've finally decided (or at least I think so) to go back to the SPB Mobile Shell interface. I would love someone to cook me a ROM that's optimized for this software, ideally with FunContact, SMSChat and ThumbCal as default applications.

There's a large community of SPB users on the SPB Forum who would all jump at the chance to install an SPB-optimized ROM, but no-one that I know of has cooked one yet. So I'm sure there will be plenty of donations for the right ROM.

I'm thinking along the lines of a CLEAN or LITE ROM with the latest firmware, something like PaSSoa's LE ROM. I personally don't use MS Office, so I wouldn't miss that too much - maybe a CAB option?

If any cookers are interested, please respond to this thread or PM me.

Thanks guys!

Before spb fix the notification issue, i will not want to use this software. Currently notification are hidden behind the shell, to view or dismiss it you have to close the shell. It cause a lot of problem for me because i use the outlook calender a lot. If i am not near my phone when the calender reminder occur, i will miss it because spb mobile shell will not show it.

Before spb fix the notification issue, i will not want to use this software. Currently notification are hidden behind the shell, to view or dismiss it you have to close the shell. It cause a lot of problem for me because i use the outlook calender a lot. If i am not near my phone when the calender reminder occur, i will miss it because spb mobile shell will not show it.

is there an alternative for m2d or mobile shell ..

m2d : i dont use most of what it offers , so i feel it is a waste of resources for me

Mobile shell : it is the better option for me , but i wish i could have more control on it , like adding my shortcuts and reorganizing the items.

is there another competitor ?

my main use is calendar and tasks.

my old setup on win ce 2003 was ( iLauncher , pocket breeze ) but there are still exactly the same with not much new ..

Guest miles_muso
The problem is that it SPB Mobile Shell it is not free :) !

Thanks for replying, Sector. Yes, it's not free and neither are Vito FunContact and SMSChat. However, it should be possible to cook a ROM using the demo versions, and just allow users to register (or add existing register codes) if they want.

I understand some people's negative opinions of SPB, but I still think there will be plenty of donations from people who like the SPB interface. Bear in mind that we've already paid for the use of the software, so another few dollars to use it on a customised ROM won't hurt much!

Please let me know if this is possible.

It is possible i think :). If you really want one rom like this i can try and make one! Just make me a list with what apps should be included so i wont have to do double work.

Ok i just made a beta-test cooked clean SPB Mobile Shell rom. Just let me know if you really want me to upload.

Includes FunContacts, SPB MB Shell, ThumbCal. SMSChat couldnt be cooked at least for now i will check more later about it. Removed lots of Samsung uneeded apps.

Apps are trial just to have it in mind.

Edited by sector

Guest murymury

thnx please upload it.

you give a man a fish he will thank you for one meal,teach the man to fish he will thank you forever.

you make it seem very easy. can you guide me through it.

everytime i cooked a rom when i go and select a ringtone it stays there and doesnt work.

how about these programs i use them all the time, there are many others i use but not all people will like. its personal prefrence. no one rom will be good for all people

Spb.Mobile.Shell.v2.1.4.Build.3722

VITO.Technology.FunContact.v2.16

VITO.Technology.ZoomBoard.v2.01

VITO.Technology.EyePhoto.v1.1

Softatics.Corporation.My.Converter.Pro.v4.2

Anton.Tomov.Virtual.Explorer.v1.30

but then again when there is an update for these programs we will want to update. and then we cant uninstall the older version as they are cooked in the rom.

a better alternative use a clean rom install all programs you want then full backup. if you want to install a program later just do it.

what do u guys think.

Guest miles_muso
Please make me a list what you would most prefer included. Just SPB Mobile Shell? Any other apps you have in mind? :)

Hi Sector. WOW! Thanks for doing this so quickly! :D

I should point out that I work on a cruise ship and our satelllit internet connection is very expensive and very temperamental, so I only get about an hour a day. That's why It's taken me so long to get back to you.

List of apps I use:

Vito FunContact

Vito SMS Chat

ThumbCal

PCM Keyboard

SK Tools

Resco File Explorer

Opera

G-Alarm

Xchange R8

Also, I was using the skins from imarch.net which take a little installation, so maybe you could include these.

Ideally, I'd like FunContact as the default contact manager, SMS as the default chat client and ThumbCal as the default calendar, but I'm not sure if all these are possible. There are some clever bits of software which allow this, but not all seem to work as well as they should. Maybe you could 'hardwire' these?

I've also installed/uninstalled/re-installed S2U (version 1.31 is SPB Friendly) - I'm not too fussed about the unlock function but I like the full screen caller ID. If you could suggest anything else for this then I bow to your greater judgement.

Also, as I work a lot overseas, I was going to install the little app that stopped automatic GPS and Internet dial-ups (very expensive!!) I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure you know the one I mean.

Thanks so much for this - I will of course alert the SPB users forum once you've done all this and I'm sure the donations will roll in! Perhaps you could do a CLEAN version with just SPB Shell, which might be a better template for users who don't want my particular choice of apps?

Lastly, could you tell me what ROM Version this is based on?

Regards,

Miles

Guest miles_muso
what do you mean optimized for spb

Sector - maybe you could answer this question for murymury? I'll have a go myself first ...... :)

As I see it, all applications make calls to the basic operating system. Some need large amounts of temporary space for data, others need faster data transfer, others need certain functions running in the foreground, others need access to lots of System RAM, etc, etc.

A ROM optimised for SPB Shell is one that has looked at the specific requirements of SPB Shell and has been adjusted to run at optimum efficiency for those specific requirements. Also, the SPB application has been made part of the operating system itself (well, kinda), so it doesn't need to be installed as a standalone app. This by itself makes the operations of SPB more efficient.

If you read these forums, you'll find lots of Optimised ROMs; there are quite a few for the Manilla M2D interface, for example. I've asked for an SPB-specific ROM as, up to now, this hasn't existed.

Guest murymury

its either me who got it wrong or you my friend. but thats what i know

what will happen in this case. mr. sector will unpack the cab, copy the files to the system folder and make a shortcut and some registery editing as well. remove unwanted software.

in case of spb mobile shell there are no specific requirments for it other than a pda running wm5 or wm6.

but in the case of manilla thats another thing which wasnt made to work on non-htc devices, guys ported it, customized some roms in order to make it work. so if they havent done this it wont work on omnia.

thats why you probably wont find any. unless they are custom made.

I have a question on my mind does the data stored in rom is quicker to read then other data ?

guys please dont fight :). i believe if we put too many programs you will have not so much storage for device and it will slow down the phone.

As i told SMSChat cannot be cooked, i get an error during buildOS.

I really dont know what is optimized for SBP Shell i didnt use it so much but you could help me, because your using it more than me.

What is good and what is not.

Reading data depends of course from the system hardware and the optimization of the system drivers.

As we all have the same HW in Omnia installing the latest firmware includes optimized drivers and functions that runs faster.

Optimization also will be removing some unwanted Samsung apps, to speed up a bit the reading and the space :).

Most probably i will cook:

SBP Mob SHell (, FunContact, ThumbCal, TorchButton, Virtual Explorer\Resco Explorer)?

Or only SBP Shell and you add what you like later?

:D Share with me

Guest mementomori
guys please dont fight :). i believe if we put too many programs you will have not so much storage for device and it will slow down the phone.

As i told SMSChat cannot be cooked, i get an error during buildOS.

I really dont know what is optimized for SBP Shell i didnt use it so much but you could help me, because your using it more than me.

What is good and what is not.

Reading data depends of course from the system hardware and the optimization of the system drivers.

As we all have the same HW in Omnia installing the latest firmware includes optimized drivers and functions that runs faster.

Optimization also will be removing some unwanted Samsung apps, to speed up a bit the reading and the space :).

Most probably i will cook:

SBP Mob SHell (, FunContact, ThumbCal, TorchButton, Virtual Explorer\Resco Explorer)?

Or only SBP Shell and you add what you like later?

:D Share with me

he guys,

i also like spb shell a lot. If making a rom with spb in it makes it run faster i think its a very good idea. As for the other programs i would stick to only a few that really benefit from beeing cooked. As for myself i use a lot of other spb products but for most of them i dont think its much use. Ofcourse other goodies like cf 3.5 fl.3 etc. should be included ;)

keep up the good work, tnx a lot

Guest murymury

actually i am glad with anything. i was just sharing my thoughts.

does galarm work on omnia. i mean the accelerometer. i tried it even on a rom that has preinstalled htcemu dll files doesnt work. i really want to abuse the accelerometer cant find anything useful for it.

what do you guys use it for ?

seems like a nice collection you will make Sector, can you add htcemu dll files and SpbMobileShell2.1.2-WQVGA-Skins_Release3.1.1 these are free omnia optimized themes. very nice :)

i think if you remove samsung today1 and 2 and samsung main menu and other samsung stuff that wont be used its even gonna be lighter or replace them with better alternative. see wat miles_muso prefers.

are you using a specific kitchen or u use ur own sector

I use sztupy's for removing/adding apps and creating cabs and other like envious for cab creation.

I think adding the themes will be too much on the device. I can download it and install it from the site :).

HTCemu dll are cooked ofc.

I will release the 1st version soon.

I hope you will like it.

Guest teardrop45

would love it if u could manage S2U2 ,SPB, HTC Album, Clear Temp,Resco File cooked in ur rom.......Plus keep the Fm .....Pls Thank u so much......