SPV M3100 - white screen

Guest digidales

Guest digidales

Hi

My SPV M3100 has got a totally white screen and I can't do anything with it (unless I take it to bits which I am not happy about doing). Orange have said they will send a replacement but I need to get my data off the HD as not everything was saved to the Micro SD card.

Does anyone know of anyone who could rescue the data on the hard drive and approx what it would cost and how long it would take?

Thanks

Guest pd.ryder

If you can't get it to fire up, I think you'll be hard pressed to access the internal Storage folder. You might be lucky if its a screen problem because the rest of the device might be functioning behind the white screen - connect it to Active Sync and see if it will sync at all. If it will, you're in luck. If not, stuffed I'm afraid.

What did you do to it? I assume you've tried a soft- and hard-reset?

Guest digidales
If you can't get it to fire up, I think you'll be hard pressed to access the internal Storage folder. You might be lucky if its a screen problem because the rest of the device might be functioning behind the white screen - connect it to Active Sync and see if it will sync at all. If it will, you're in luck. If not, stuffed I'm afraid.

What did you do to it? I assume you've tried a soft- and hard-reset?

Can't get past the PIN code sadly for activesync

I didn't do anything. Had this problem bfore and replaced the handset but this time it seems terminal. Have soft reset loads, but if I do a hard reset won't that lose all my data anyway? (Sorry, female, am a bit dim!)

Guest penguin

i had this problem with my Vario 2 & all i needed to do was slide out the keyboard & flip the device over so the screen is face down & loosen the screws on the back of the screen. (I think there's 2?)

Hope this helps

Guest pd.ryder

He-he! Not so dim - yes it would erase your data (now I'm being dim!)

Just out of interest, what data is it you're trying to get to? If its SMS's, I've never had any luck in copying the data from one device to another so you'd lose them anyway.

You might be able to find a "phone unlocker" type chappie in your local town who might be able to read the chip directly. I've emailed my chappie here to see if he knows what is needed and if he has the tech to do it himself.

:)

Guest digidales
He-he! Not so dim - yes it would erase your data (now I'm being dim!)

Just out of interest, what data is it you're trying to get to? If its SMS's, I've never had any luck in copying the data from one device to another so you'd lose them anyway.

You might be able to find a "phone unlocker" type chappie in your local town who might be able to read the chip directly. I've emailed my chappie here to see if he knows what is needed and if he has the tech to do it himself.

Um, I can't find my contacts anywhere in my activesync folders or in outlook. Which sort of implies that I have never checked to see whether it was actually doing its job in collecting and syncing them. I just assumed it was doing as I asked.

Have decided I can prob live without any files, docs, notes etc but not my contacts!

Am trying to find someone with a small screwdriver now. I have ordered some Torx screws on Ebay which should be here in a day or two as if necessary (as it is out of warranty), I was thinking I would take it to bits and see if a ribbon cable is loose or something. Orange had agreed to replace it on my insurance - wonder if they still will if the void sticker has gone???

Guest digidales

Oh, thank you!

Guest penguin

i didn't need to unscrew the screws by much, like a turn if that, apparently it's a common fault & something to do with pressure. there's a whole thread about the White Screen issue over on the Hermes section @ XDA Devs somewhere, i'll try & find the URL

Guest pd.ryder
Orange had agreed to replace it on my insurance - wonder if they still will if the void sticker has gone???

Err, no. They won't. Well -- they will because the man will exchange it on the doorstep like always, but once it gets back to Orange Towers you can expect a phone call for sure :)

I had an email back from my mate -- he can only back up working devices, like wot we all can, so no help there I'm afraid.

:D

Guest digidales

Now, more help if at all possible you lovely people.

I need to find all my contacts and copy them before it all goes white again.....how do I do this?

If I use this Jeyo software, will I be able to import that data onto a new phone 'cos I have truly had enough of this one??!

Thanks

Edited by digidales

Guest digidales
i had this problem with my Vario 2 & all i needed to do was slide out the keyboard & flip the device over so the screen is face down & loosen the screws on the back of the screen. (I think there's 2?)

Hope this helps

Arg, posted this once and it's vanished!

I went to a nearby mechanic's workshop and they lent me a mini screwdriver. Did as Penguin suggested and OMG, it worked!!!! Thank you.

Am using Jeyo to back up everything as instructed. (hence other msg)

Guest penguin
Arg, posted this once and it's vanished!

I went to a nearby mechanic's workshop and they lent me a mini screwdriver. Did as Penguin suggested and OMG, it worked!!!! Thank you.

Am using Jeyo to back up everything as instructed. (hence other msg)

Glad it helped.

I've not used Jeyo for a good few years & it was an old version but i was able to backup my contacts using it & import them onto a new WinMo device.

Do you not have a copy of Outlook on your pc you can Activesync everything to?