sms's as conversations? WTF?

Guest mch_87

I've just got my Touch Hd and when sending texts it does it as a conversation... what the hell is that all about?

why dont my messages go to the sent items and i get incoming messages in my inbox?

Guest TheNerd

"Keep copies of sent items in Sent folder" is a selectable option. - From the Touch 3D screen of Messages, go to All messages, then while in your SMS Inbox (assuming you have other accounts like email, select Menu -> Tools -> Options... -> Message (tab), then tick the option to keep copies in the sent items.

I can't remember what the registry entry for threaded SMS messages is but you can use HD Tweak to change from Threaded to Chronological without having to delve in to awkward things. It also has many other configuration tweaks for you to explore.

Guest Chrismobile
I've just got my Touch Hd and when sending texts it does it as a conversation... what the hell is that all about?

why dont my messages go to the sent items and i get incoming messages in my inbox?

I agree - the conversation idea is rubbish!! I'm probably doing something wrong, but because the texts are in a conversation, when I'm replying to one it takes up half the screen, leaving me two lines (sometimes one line) to view the text that I'm composing. Absolutely stupid!!

I'd be grateful for info on the Registry tweak to get rid of conversations, please please please.

Apart from that, I've had my HD for 2 weeks and am loving it!

Chris

Guest Chrismobile
I agree - the conversation idea is rubbish!! I'm probably doing something wrong, but because the texts are in a conversation, when I'm replying to one it takes up half the screen, leaving me two lines (sometimes one line) to view the text that I'm composing. Absolutely stupid!!

I'd be grateful for info on the Registry tweak to get rid of conversations, please please please.

Apart from that, I've had my HD for 2 weeks and am loving it!

Chris

Found the answer to my own question here: http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobi...-1/#entry912118

Guest TheNerd

Nice one Chris. This brings up another issue. The problem about the threaded text taking up all the room in the reply message; sometimes I can not even see the text I'm writing, maybe only the top half of the letters! I have a registry tweak which can enable you to drag the keyboard out of the way which sometimes helps, but not very much...

Open up your registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\SIP and change the value of Dragstyle from 0 to 1. This can work on Keyboard, Transcriber, Block Recognizer, Letter Recognizer, etc.

What I would really like is to drag the size of the previous messages smaller (and therefore the reply text area bigger) so I can see what I'm typing. - This is one of my biggest gripes with my HD at the moment. I end up just creating a new message to the SMS recipient so I can see what I type in a bigger area without the previous message getting in the way. Other than that I actually like the messages stored in a thread.

Guest TheNerd
its grayed out in the options

Have you got any contacts? Is it using the correct address book (i.e. is it using your phone contacts? you haven't changed it from the default setting somehow?)

Have you got any contacts? Is it using the correct address book (i.e. is it using your phone contacts? you haven't changed it from the default setting somehow?)

I tried the method of touching the "to" for a couple seconds and that works...

The "add recipient" grays out after I add the 1st contact though

Guest Monolithix

Personally I love threaded sms, and never really saw why it was such a problem to so many people. I realise now though that having your text size medium or higher might make it a little more akward, so I have mine set to one above smallest.

mch_87: you need the cursor to be in the "to" field for "add recipient" to work. But the easiest way is just to type your contacts name (and hit enter on the keypad), messaging will then suggest names from your contacts. You can keep doing this with a ; separating them (which is added automatically)

Guest Chrismobile
Personally I love threaded sms, and never really saw why it was such a problem to so many people. I realise now though that having your text size medium or higher might make it a little more akward, so I have mine set to one above smallest.

Aha! Why didn't I think of that?! Now I've finally found the text size setting and reduced my text size, I might just give the threaded messaging another go. I had nothing against it as such, apart from not being able to see much on screen (including number of characters remaining, which used to be an issue before I started on my new unlimited texts tarrif!)

Chris