Beta now available: PocketGPS Speed Cameras for AppToDate

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Over on this thread at PocketGPS, editor Darren Griffin asked:

Hmm nice idea Paul but what security do you have on the username/passwords you'll be collecting?

To which I replied...

The passwords aren't collected - the only place they are stored is on your device.

When you enter them in the form to generate your CAB, they are put into the AppToDate XML that is generated and stored on your device.

To make clear, the PocketGPS username and password is not stored on the server anywhere, and is only stored on your phone.

The CAB that is generated for you is automatically deleted from my server when it is over 1 hour old (post Beta).

P

Hope that puts people's mind at rest! :)

P

And where should "bugs" be reported? (Assuming I haven't cocked up the install)

When ApptoDate tries to run the update I get an "Installation of cameras.cab was unsuccessful."

Fantastic! That seems to have sorted it, although it prompted for a reboot when it finished - not sure if that was to be expected?

Again, a very useful program!

Ah OK. I'll keep an eye on it and report if it happens frequently.

Now if only I could figure out how to tell AppToDate that TF3D Config *is* the latest version... :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

TF3D Config is the top AppToDate'd application!

http://www.apptodate.org/stats.php

The reason it's showing out of date is because the online XML here is showing 0.6.7.1, but the XML installed by the CAB is showing 0.6.7 - the developer needs to update the XML file in his CAB.

Might be worth dropping him a message, in the interim you can also hack a fix yourself by editing the version number in \Application Data\AppToDate\DiamondTF3DConfig.xml.

:)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul

This would be good. :) but I fear I may be a problem.

I have co-pilot 7 on a TyTN II and I use the UK- consolidated File. Once the file is unzipped I copy the csv files ed to \Storage Card\copilot\EU\Save. You also have to delete ao*.* from that folder when co-pilot is off and the csv files are imported the next time you start the app.

Regards

Richard

I wonder if they have to be deleted, or whether you could overwrite them with zero length files or something?

P

Guest pete_thomson

This is fantastic!!

I've been thinking of an easy way to update my cameras since I got my lifetime membership to PocketGPS.

I always forgot to update for weeks (or months) at a time so this is 100% spot on!!

Quidware?? You are selling yourself short - I'm happy to pay that and some.

Now to the beta testing side of things. Not a bug, but something that may need to be "taken care of"

When I launched the initial .cab and when installing the updated version as as part after the OTA update I get the following:

"camera.cab instaled.... blah

If you need more storage..... blah

The program you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software"

I'm running the the most recent TLR 6.1 ROM. It still seems to be running fine, but it might just need to be updated to recognise v6.1

Guest jonajuna

i too go the same message as pete_thomson. but can live with that, most (all?) cabs say the same.

many thanks, will run to on every journey til you say beta is over and see what happens :)

Guest 1straven

Cabs installed without an issue for me. I did get an error when it tried to download the database files the first time but it worked fine the second. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it occurs again.

Guest zarquon

Hi Paul

Downloaded the app, did the detail bit on the web and downloaded that, installed okay and ran it, The file down loaded and the extracted csv files ended in the right place. I see the ao*.* files are still there but a manual delete of those won't hurt... £1? how about 90p :)

Regards

Richard

Guest Paul (MVP)

In fairness I did say delete wouldn't be in there straight away, lol! :)

Functions i'd like to add...

- Specifying which files are included (e.g. only .bmp and .ov2)

- Deleting specific files

- An icon for the update in AppToDate

P

Guest Fizz_daz

Great app paul.. save soooo much hassle on a weekly basis.. the only thing I would like is to be able to download OV2's to one place and .csv to another for different apps to use..

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah fizz_daz, I realised that this might be a requirement, so i've already thought about how this would work. I'll add this functionality before release.

Basically you'll see the 'PocketGPS Speed Cameras' entry twice in the list.

You've just nominated yourself as tester for this functionality, hehe!

P

Just wanted to say thanks for this totally awesome app, i find that my db is out of date because of the process to download the updates every week and get them onto the phone can get tiresome

but not anymore :)

Guest Junoman
Yep - individual warnings for each speed limit and type of camera e.g. gatso 30, gatso 40, specs etc.

Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type. This category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Consolidated by Type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera. This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso

pocketgps_uk_mobile

pocketgps_uk_redlight

pocketgps_uk_specs

Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

About 20 files....

Hi Guys,

More precise Infoatabase Camera Breakdown which I found in a differnt forum

Region - Country Status Type - Number

UK - United Kingdom Active: Gatso 3564

UK - United Kingdom Active: Mobile 6359

UK - United Kingdom Active: Temporary 30

UK - United Kingdom Active: Specs 244

UK - United Kingdom Active: Redlight 1005

UK - United Kingdom Active: Truvelo 301

UK - United Kingdom Active: Monitron 102

UK - United Kingdom Active: RedSpeed 13

UK - United Kingdom Pending: Mobile 1308

Cheers'

J.

Guest Fizz_daz
Yeah fizz_daz, I realised that this might be a requirement, so i've already thought about how this would work. I'll add this functionality before release.

Basically you'll see the 'PocketGPS Speed Cameras' entry twice in the list.

You've just nominated yourself as tester for this functionality, hehe!

P

no problem mate :)

Edited by Fizz_daz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.