HELP PLEASE OMNIA NOOB (sorry)

Guest Cyber2Fun

Guest Cyber2Fun

I just got my new omnia i900 (unbranded/sim-free but using O2 at the moment)

I am from United Kingdom

PDA: i900XXHG5/MSHG1

PHONE: i900XXHG5

What should I do to get the best out of it? (what firmware should I upgrade to?)

AND since mine is MSHG1 - Can I upgrade it to DXHK3 just doing the official method/steps? (I heard it(HK3) is the latest but it is from philippines) UK's official update is MSHJ1

I have also read this:

[size=1]"[u][i][b]If you have never updated your Omnia with custom rom first update with official Samsung firmware form here (Select Philippines): [url="http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/omnia/index.jsp"]Samsung Mobile[/url][/b][/i][/u]
[i][b]1. Install Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 ([u]once[/u])[/b][/i]
[i][b]2. Install Samsung Modem Driver ([u]once[/u])[/b][/i]
[i][b]3. Backup your data[/b][/i]
[i][b]4. Turn your phone off[/b][/i]
[i][b]5. Connect it to PC via USB cable[/b][/i]
[i][b]6. Start Firmware update app[/b][/i]
[i][b]7. Turn your phone on[/b][/i]
[i][b]8. Click on Start button in firmware update app and wait until it writes you "Jobs Done."[/b][/i][/size][/codebox]

but I am still confused. Does that mean

[b]I can update my Omnia to DXHK3 no matter what my firmware is?[/b]

sorry. please answer my Qs? Thank you.

Guest kurniawan

Just give it a try... you will never know once u tried.

As stated on your post, if you have never updated to a custom ROM, try an official UK ROM First. If this works well and u feel comfortable with flashing, then u can try one of Secany's "official" ROM's. And once u getting the hang of it, try the taste of CUSTOM Lite or M2D ROM's. If u have questions feel free to use the search... Or just read alot. I did... and found out that after a week i had a fully customed omnia by myself, making my friends asking me like, why is yours different, iwant that too.... haha

Just give it a go but read properly.......!!!

Guest Cyber2Fun

I have tried the update. It says incorrect version. I guess I can't update the DXHK3 for me.

Then how can I get a custom ROM? =/ Anyone? Help? On the custom rom by taril it says that I should update to DXHK3 first before getting a custom rom?

Anyone? Help? Thanks.

I have tried the update. It says incorrect version. I guess I can't update the DXHK3 for me.

Then how can I get a custom ROM? =/ Anyone? Help? On the custom rom by taril it says that I should update to DXHK3 first before getting a custom rom?

Anyone? Help? Thanks.

You'll need to read this to deal with incorrect version:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

I've tried it. [selected singapore / singtel default provider] > phone rebooted/hard reset.

still incorrect version. any ideas please? :D thanks.

There are still other methods to try. You can read it from here: http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...rsion-tutorial/

oopss.. Sector seems to post faster than me :)

Edited by zaryc

Guest Cyber2Fun

:) Sorry but that 2nd one seemed a bit complicated/confusing.

Can anybody just tell me or give me a step by step instruction on how to change mine to DXHK3? as I heard it is the best official firmware so far?

My system version at the moment is:

I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

:) Sorry but that 2nd one seemed a bit complicated/confusing.

Can anybody just tell me or give me a step by step instruction on how to change mine to DXHK3? as I heard it is the best official firmware so far?

My system version at the moment is:

I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

In your case, your current Version is lower that HK3. So you can skip no.2. You have to do no 3 and below, and I think you should change DX and XX as you are trying to install DX over XX:

3. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

4. Hex edit UPDATE.exe. (i've used xvi32)

- open file in editor

- scroll to the end of file

- search up (or from end) for i900DX

- change the second result to i900XX

- save and exit

5. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe .

Guest Cyber2Fun

Hello. :) Sorry but it is still kind of confusing for me since you just copied the step 3 to 5.

But doing that will be 'flashing' right? which will be dangerous to the phone. I am a noob and know nothing so I do not want to flash yet.

:D Is there any safe way to change my phone to DXHK3? Thanks.

Also, I have tried the first one that sounds safe(Paul's post): http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

but it didn't work for me. What did I do wrong? :) (I changed the phone to singapore sucessfuly but it still say incorrect version)

If you aren't comfortable with hex editing files (a required step) then perhaps you should just take it to a service centre and they'll do the update for you. That's the only truly safe way.

Guest Cyber2Fun
If you aren't comfortable with hex editing files (a required step) then perhaps you should just take it to a service centre and they'll do the update for you. That's the only truly safe way.

I am ready to do the hex editing but I do not know what that is. I am a complete noob. Sorry.

Can anybody guide me through it?

First, what is 'hex editor'?

and I have downloaded the xvi32. What do I do next?