brand new diamond set up before use

Guest mstar

hi people!

i just ordered my new HTC diamond on orange (my first ever smartphone!) should be here tommorow, i heard lots of people moaning on here (i red over 1hours of pages here!) i wanted to ask what is the reccomended way to charge the battery for the first cycles? as the guy on orange said

1. charge the battery straignt out of the box Don't start playing with it on charge do not switch it on

2. when finished charging switch on and have a play :)

my question is do i wait until it completly goes dead (switchs off) until i charge again? or wait until the battery low indicator comes on and then charge it again? do this for 3-4 times?

anyone reccomend the correct way? (also removing oranges nasty mods they do)

Edited by mstar

Guest estechco

I think modern re-chargable batteries have come along way in recent years. I know what you are referring to in terms of the memory effect of older style batteries. My electric shaver now lasts for ages more than the anticpated hour as I have always made sure to let it run down totally before re-charging, but I think times have changed.

Chances are your phone will come at least partially charged anyway. You will also probably notice that

1) You use the phone far more in the first few days, by way of a novelty, than you would normally

2) It may take a week or two for the new battery to get up to its maximum capacity.

In short I don't think it makes much difference any more. I personally tend to stick it back on charge every other day once I'm down to about 2 bars, where as I suspect many people keep theirs on charge most of the day if they are sat in front of the computer.

Edited by estechco

Guest Neil5459
hi people!

i just ordered my new HTC diamond on orange (my first ever smartphone!) should be here tommorow, i heard lots of people moaning on here (i red over 1hours of pages here!) i wanted to ask what is the reccomended way to charge the battery for the first cycles? as the guy on orange said

1. charge the battery straignt out of the box Don't start playing with it on charge do not switch it on

2. when finished charging switch on and have a play :D

my question is do i wait until it completly goes dead (switchs off) until i charge again? or wait until the battery low indicator comes on and then charge it again? do this for 3-4 times?

anyone reccomend the correct way? (also removing oranges nasty mods they do)

Take no notice of that advice :) Lithium Ion batteries have intelligent charging circuits which work in conjunction with the device's battery state indicator. As long as you put it on charge you can turn it on and use it while charging. The Diamond uses a lower power charger than previous HTC phones, and has a power plug with a USB connector, but the battery is a low power one anyway, as is the chipset.

Try to charge it as often as you can in the first few days- the charging circuits take up to 2 weeks to work optimally, and at the end of that period the battery will last appreciably longer, plus you will have got over the initial playing flurry!

Lithium Ion batteries should never be used in a full discharge/full recharge basis. They last much longer with frequent top-up charges, but do benefit from a full discharge/ recharge once every 3 months or so to recalibrate the charging circuits.

When you get yours, make sure you look in Start/Settings/System/Device Information for the ROM and Radio ROM versions. Most current Orange samples should have a 1.93 ROM and 1.00.25.05 or .07 Radio ROM. If lower than those, there is an offical Orange update available.

Take no notice of that advice :) Lithium Ion batteries have intelligent charging circuits which work in conjunction with the device's battery state indicator. As long as you put it on charge you can turn it on and use it while charging. The Diamond uses a lower power charger than previous HTC phones, and has a power plug with a USB connector, but the battery is a low power one anyway, as is the chipset.

Try to charge it as often as you can in the first few days- the charging circuits take up to 2 weeks to work optimally, and at the end of that period the battery will last appreciably longer, plus you will have got over the initial playing flurry!

Lithium Ion batteries should never be used in a full discharge/full recharge basis. They last much longer with frequent top-up charges, but do benefit from a full discharge/ recharge once every 3 months or so to recalibrate the charging circuits.

When you get yours, make sure you look in Start/Settings/System/Device Information for the ROM and Radio ROM versions. Most current Orange samples should have a 1.93 ROM and 1.00.25.05 or .07 Radio ROM. If lower than those, there is an offical Orange update available.

well i failed on that front the first 2 charges i was out and the device used all its juice and went off, then i charged it.

The second time same again but its taking (so far) 6hrs 30 mins and its still flashing (the dial glowing white) but the indicator states all bars are full (all green bars)

should i let it keep charge?

Guest Neil5459
well i failed on that front the first 2 charges i was out and the device used all its juice and went off, then i charged it.

The second time same again but its taking (so far) 6hrs 30 mins and its still flashing (the dial glowing white) but the indicator states all bars are full (all green bars)

should i let it keep charge?

Is the dial a steady glow, or pulsing? It pulses slowly when charging, is steady when charged, pulses faster to indicate a new Email, and the pulse rotates for a new SMS

After 6 hours it is definitely charged. In quiescent use- ie phone on but not used, but WiFi and BT off, it should certainly last 24 hours on a charge, but this may be less for the 1st few charges.