diamond newbie question on ROM

Guest mstar

hi ppl,

i got my diamond and all things are well, i got this as a orange upgrade and i have read various threads here and they say i should upgrade my ROM to give better battery life/performance etc.

my rom details are:

ROM version: 1.93.405.1 WWE

ROM Date: 08/06/08

Radion version: 1.00.25.05

Protocol version: 52.29.25.12W

the weird thing is that it says rom update 08/06/08!! which seems OLD??? i got it as a upgrade from orange and it funnily enough doesn't have the orange theme to which the manual shows!?? :)

SHould i return the handset and demand a newer ROM (assuming they have one which give additional benefits) or upgrade myself? which is something i dnt want to do <_<

Guest Kevlarski
hi ppl,

i got my diamond and all things are well, i got this as a orange upgrade and i have read various threads here and they say i should upgrade my ROM to give better battery life/performance etc.

my rom details are:

ROM version: 1.93.405.1 WWE

ROM Date: 08/06/08

Radion version: 1.00.25.05

Protocol version: 52.29.25.12W

the weird thing is that it says rom update 08/06/08!! which seems OLD??? i got it as a upgrade from orange and it funnily enough doesn't have the orange theme to which the manual shows!?? :)

SHould i return the handset and demand a newer ROM (assuming they have one which give additional benefits) or upgrade myself? which is something i dnt want to do <_<

The ROM you are using is the latest official UK Orange ROM available. I think the date is in US format as that ROM was not available until around August/September. I've used that one since it came out and it seems OK. The only newer ones that I know of are HTC official 1.97 and 2.03 (just released) and cooked versions of these. You will get no support from Orange with any other than the one tyou are using at the moment. The orange theme never was introduced on the 1.37 or the 1.93 ROM and they just stuck with HTC Black themes with very little customisation. There are various tweaks you can do with Advanced Config and Diamond TF3D to improve battery and performance that will be down to personal preference. You can download them from xda-developers.

Guest andybarker

The radio version you have will give you better battery life than the current shipping version that T-Mobile have (not updated it since release as far as I know). This is why I updated my T-Mobile branded phone several months ago, and it has been fine ever since.

I'm on 1.93.405.1 ROM and 1.00.25.07 Radio.

The radio version you have will give you better battery life than the current shipping version that T-Mobile have (not updated it since release as far as I know). This is why I updated my T-Mobile branded phone several months ago, and it has been fine ever since.

I'm on 1.93.405.1 ROM and 1.00.25.07 Radio.

so am i correct in saying that its ok to leave it as it is?

ANyone have the link to HTC's new ROM? and what updates do that offer me over the one i have?

Guest Neil5459

ANyone have the link to HTC's new ROM? and what updates do that offer me over the one i have?

If it's working OK for you, then leave it as it is :)

The later ROMs may give you a slight speed increase, and possibly a newer build of Opera. The cooked ROMs are generally much better than the official ones, because they take some of their core from newer devices like the Touch Pro and Touch HD. For me, the main advantage of a cooked ROM, is that the current ones offer the 'Slide to Answer' phone call screen, meaning you don't inadvertantly answer the phone while it is in your pocket, by pressing the screen as you reach for it, and by having the screen stay on while in a call, so you can quickly press keypad command buttons (useful for Orange Voicemail!)

The later Radio ROMs are much better. V 1.00.25.07 and .08 are OK but GPS performance with .23 is much better, though battery life may be a touch less. I use mine mainly for push email, some calendar and contact lookups, a bit of browsing and a little GPS work, and in general get about 2 days use from a charge.

If you want to update either the Radio, or the OS ROM you MUST install HardSPL first, or the ROM won't install and you may be stuck with a non-responsive device.

Guest jporch316

Hey

The newest HTC Rom (19-01-08) has incorporated many of the features that have been available on the cooked roms.

So far (its only been a day) ive noticed the slide to answer is now present, some of the text input buttons have been made smaller so that you can see what youre typing! on top of the documented changes.

Guest andybarker

I would say stick with what you have unless you have a specific reason to change. I only changed because of lousy battery life and poor responsiveness from much earlier versions.

Guest Jasonkruys

Yes, stick with what you have I suggest if things are working well. The .05 radio you have is one of the better ones for balance between battery life and performance, and Orange's ROM (as said before) is not molested too much by them. Install Schap's Advanced Config, and tweak some things you may want to, and things should be good for you.