make an inteligent rom

Guest Pille69

Guest Pille69

Hello all

i read this in almost every thread

why cooker remove almost everything

remove whit "brain"

make really no sense if you remove, as example, opera and office

but still nobody added an pdf reader (as example again)

it is not a contest "who remove the most"

greetings all

Guest Pille69
if already cooked roms don't suit your needs, why don't you cook your own one? :)

i do not have time to go deep in

it is not problem to install the apps which you need then after

but i get a bit the impression

its a challange who build the most small and whit everything removed rom

instead to build a usefull rom

you dont think soo ?

It is not a competition between us. On the contrary we work many times together to find better solutions for you guys.

Cleaning a rom it is the most suitable for everyone as he can install what he likes on the \My Storage which gives u more space.

If you prefer some apps installed on \My Device you can install them ofc.

Define what is useful rom for you...

Guest Barthlon

if you don't like custom roms, don't install them and don't complain or make false "accusations". as sector says, they are doing us ("omnia community") a big favour!

you could just make a rom request (thread) in a kind way and hope someone will listen and make your dreams happen.

almost all custom roms that are being released now are clean versions and stripped down to the bone. this has a lot of advantages, but i understand your point: it takes us, rom users, more time to reinstall apps that we want in.

you could for example kindly ask one of the cookers to make a little less stripped rom. with widely used programs as google maps, opera, office mobile and games left in and just the really crappy things (windows update, rss reader, etc. etc.) left out...

i know i would use it :)

Guest InvalidCast

as far as i could see, some people are doing much for beginners to learn cooking, with tools more and more automated.

this is one thing.

a second point is, AFAIK, that ROM files cannot be deleted (for example, i don't really like the default Manila theme of the ROM i installed, but i like the ROM in general)

so, i'm dreaming of a real clean ROM that would ask which shell or today plugin or what else (manila, spb shell, samsung today, etc...) you want to install

then, it would ask if you want to install office, and so on.

obviously, non choosen programs should not be on the rom on the phone (don't know if it's possible)

maybe the updater.exe could be changed?

but it is a dream

as far as i could see, some people are doing much for beginners to learn cooking, with tools more and more automated.

this is one thing.

a second point is, AFAIK, that ROM files cannot be deleted (for example, i don't really like the default Manila theme of the ROM i installed, but i like the ROM in general)

so, i'm dreaming of a real clean ROM that would ask which shell or today plugin or what else (manila, spb shell, samsung today, etc...) you want to install

then, it would ask if you want to install office, and so on.

obviously, non choosen programs should not be on the rom on the phone (don't know if it's possible)

maybe the updater.exe could be changed?

but it is a dream

this can be done in a way. there is an app i found that after flash scans your cabs in \My Device, \My Storage, \Storage Card and you can check what you would like to install.

the "problem" is that it will automatically install everything on defaults cab values directory, for example there are values in cab file where it points the installation directory.

the only thing to change that is to recreate the cabs and point it lets say to \My Storage.

Guest InvalidCast

sort of silent mode installation.

i'm a .NET developper, almost winform, but did a little of compact framework.

your idea is quite good

in the following days, when i have a little time, i will check if it's possible to invoke the cab installer passinh it parameters such as the installation path.

i think it's possible (am i wrong?)

then create a simple UI with a label, a checkbox and a textbox for each cab should not be very complicated

got to search the way to catch WM notifications

i don't mind having 100Mo (and here i'm quite pessimistic!) of my 16Go internal storage taken by cab files, if it enables me to quickly reinstall

having contacts backuped in a way or another on "my storage", and restore them by the same application could may be usefull too.

Guest bobobird
i found a way to launch the installation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/marcpe/archive/2005/...stallation.aspx

i must go further, because for example IGO use this installation type, so there is already an "autorun.exe" file

maybe create mine that will replace it, put the IGO in another location, and call this later with my app

With iGo, delete all registry reference, delete the 2577 dir, copy and/or rename application.dat to igo.exe (no need, if you already have igo.exe in the igo directory, but check size = same as application.dat). Create a shortcut to iGo in the Start Menu/Programs dir.

This way you can run iGo standalone and no longer need the autorun feature. Or even move iGo to My Storage and run it from there.

sort of silent mode installation.

i'm a .NET developper, almost winform, but did a little of compact framework.

your idea is quite good

in the following days, when i have a little time, i will check if it's possible to invoke the cab installer passinh it parameters such as the installation path.

i think it's possible (am i wrong?)

then create a simple UI with a label, a checkbox and a textbox for each cab should not be very complicated

got to search the way to catch WM notifications

i don't mind having 100Mo (and here i'm quite pessimistic!) of my 16Go internal storage taken by cab files, if it enables me to quickly reinstall

having contacts backuped in a way or another on "my storage", and restore them by the same application could may be usefull too.

UC configuration does this thing also Tier Autoinstall.

Take a look here: http://tiermann.net/index.php?option=com_c...ps&Itemid=2

I used UC config in my rom. But i hexed a file (SDAutorun.exe) to fit my needs.

TierAutoinstall seems nice for User Customization but the problem installs everything in \My Device.

Anyway it will be good to create one for cooking :)!

Guest mobilehappy

Taril has made a "Smart" Omnia Rom, you can find it here

Other than that the clean ROMS from other cooks also have their place for those who prefer to install and choose their own apps!

UC configuration does this thing also Tier Autoinstall.

Take a look here: http://tiermann.net/index.php?option=com_c...ps&Itemid=2

I used UC config in my rom. But i hexed a file (SDAutorun.exe) to fit my needs.

TierAutoinstall seems nice for User Customization but the problem installs everything in \My Device.

Anyway it will be good to create one for cooking :) !

Hi!

The biggest issue with UC is that you place CAB files in cooked ROM so even if you choose what to install you waste space.

Maybe the better solution is too create a package - ROM + other applications in another archive (in CABs).

The user before flashing puts content of the archive to \My Storage\Install. Then she flashes the device normally.

TierAutoInstall/UC will install apps from that location.

This procedure use more complicated for the user but allows her to really customize what she really wants and whats even more important when the new version of application comes out there will be no need to reflash ROM and no space waste.

Guest lastnikita

huh... UC is supposed to install from auxiliary storage, not from cooked rom... or am I wrong ? O_o

what would be the benefit, I don't get your point.

huh... UC is supposed to install from auxiliary storage, not from cooked rom... or am I wrong ? O_o

what would be the benefit, I don't get your point.

Yes, but it can be hexedited, to install from My device :)

But automating this wouldn't bee to hard. Before the updater and application will copy the cab files to the internal storage, then runs the updater, UC will install the files from the storage and then deletes the cab files (or if UC can't do this then maybe another program in the preconfiguration section)

This can all be automated without too much hassle.

Edited by sztupy

Guest shokka9
Hello all

i read this in almost every thread

why cooker remove almost everything

remove whit "brain"

make really no sense if you remove, as example, opera and office

but still nobody added an pdf reader (as example again)

it is not a contest "who remove the most"

greetings all

you sound like you are in the wrong forum....

I understand what you are saying, but what you are saying defeats what we (chefs) do, we clean ROMs up, do some tweaking, maybe add a couple of things, customise etc etc. If you want Opera & Office, then leave your Omnia alone and leave as is.

As sector says, we all work together to provide good ROMs for everybody.

If you want your own ROM, catch me at the website below, and i may (dependant on donation) make you a ROM (your own).

But i think you have misunderstood what chefs in general do. Not just on Omnia, but all devices.

take care

As said i hexed the UC and managed to install what i need for cooking through My Device, i can share the hexed one if u want to.

I wish there was a way to delete the cooked files but i think u cannot as there are ROM cooked.

UC actually installs from Storage Card. But there are some apps who cannot turned into OEM pgks, because there is a setup.dll which contains inside all the registry entries maybe some other functionalities also.

That was my discussion with sztupy and shokka9, how to manage to do that. A lot of work was put had to compare registries etc etc, which makes you cry :).

So the most convenient solution for that was to modify UC to read from \My Device and install the app. Anyway it is not a big hassle to spare some mb more for your purpose and this doesnt happen for all the apps.

Edited by sector

As said i hexed the UC and managed to install what i need for cooking through My Device, i can share the hexed one if u want to.

I wish there was a way to delete the cooked files but i think u cannot as there are ROM cooked.

UC actually installs from Storage Card. But there are some apps who cannot turned into OEM pgks, because there is a setup.dll which contains inside all the registry entries maybe some other functionalities also.

That was my discussion with sztupy and shokka9, how to manage to do that. A lot of work was put had to compare registries etc etc, which makes you cry :) .

So the most convenient solution for that was to modify UC to read from \My Device and install the app. Anyway it is not a big hassle to spare some mb more for your purpose and this doesnt happen for all the apps.

You can run setup.dll's after cooking, I might create a program for that...

Guest lastnikita

[...]

So the most convenient solution for that was to modify UC to read from \My Device and install the app.

Sorry but I don't understand, how the location cabs are read from affects the way setup.dll's are (not) handled ?

To solve that matter, can't we juste install the apps, extract the regkeys it needs and add them back to the cab in the usual way, out of any setup.dll ? Or are there other stuff than reg entries inside those ? (I thought there only was some run-after-install instructions)

Thanks in advance for your explanations, I'll take a better look at UC which apparently I misunderstood (I thought it was just an autorun like extended roms)

Edited by lastnikita

Sorry but I don't understand, how the location cabs are read from affects the way setup.dll's are (not) handled ?

To solve that matter, can't we juste install the apps, extract the regkeys it needs and add them back to the cab in the usual way, out of any setup.dll ? Or are there other stuff than reg entries inside those ? (I thought there only was some run-after-install instructions)

Thanks in advance for your explanations, I'll take a better look at UC which apparently I misunderstood (I thought it was just an autorun like extended roms)

I think that was two separate things sector was talking about, but was mixed toghether :)

UC will install cab fiels and other things from a storage (you can hexedit the place from where it should install). It will install the cab the same way you would install it, so it will run setup.dll's too. UC is a simple autorun script, that can isntal cabs and do some oether things.

OEM packages are the extracted form of the cab file, with all registry settings, but without the setup.dll and the dllregister functions. These things have to be cracked (like checking the registry before and after an installation), or runned after the ROM has been flashed (setup.dll has two functions an installer and an uninstaller function, which can do anything you want (apart from adding registry entries, it can show you an eula, and many other things. It's a simple dll executable) ). Running a setup.dll needs a bit programming, but it's not that hard to do.

Guest lastnikita

thanks, so I didn't misunderstood UC, I feel better now :)

Running a setup.dll needs a bit programming, but it's not that hard to do.

but is it necessary ? as far as I can see, the only real problem is

the dllregister functions

because I don't know a way to do that manually, but I guess it can be done while cooking too in some way.. do you know how to register a dll ? can't we just use the cab's standard "self-registering" function for them ? (well I never used it, so maybe this is for something else..)