BBC iPlayer on your Windows Mobile Device JUST GOT APP'D

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
thumb_29-Jan-2009_bbc-iplayer-tv.jpg
After all the talk before about spoofing opera to play BBC iPlayer, this time some clever little dude by the name of craftyb has created an iplayer application which runs in a very similar fashion to the youtube inbuilt app on the diamond.

At the moment it is only written for the diamond, though it is reported to run on the touch pro, and is currently in beta, so with all the usual disclaimers like if you install it and your great great grandmother dies, its not anyone's fault! And for heavens sake, if you don't have an unlimited data plan don't download any programs OTA, use WiFi!

Click here for link to Xda Devs. (Registration is required for download)

Enjoy and don't forget to post your comments!

Cheers

Phill

thumb_29-Jan-2009_bbc-iplayer-tv.jpg
After all the talk before about spoofing opera to play BBC iPlayer, this time some clever little dude by the name of craftyb has created an iplayer application which runs in a very similar fashion to the youtube inbuilt app on the diamond.

At the moment it is only written for the diamond, and is reported to run on the touch pro, and is currently in beta, so with all the usual disclaimers like if you install it and your great great grandmother dies, its not anyones fault! And for heavens sake, if you dont have an unlimited data plan down download any programs OTA, use WiFi!

Click here for link to Xda Devs. (Registration is required for download)

Enjoy and don't forget to post your comments!

Cheers

Phill

ive just recently changed to iphone and have tried playing over 3g and they block it specifically so would be intresting to see if this will work on a 3g winmo, maybe its spoofing the headers. I know the xbox media center plugin used to fake itself as a iphone to get the mp4 streams.

Guest spangelsaregreat
ive just recently changed to iphone and have tried playing over 3g and they block it specifically so would be intresting to see if this will work on a 3g winmo, maybe its spoofing the headers. I know the xbox media center plugin used to fake itself as a iphone to get the mp4 streams.

Hi,

Works fine on both 3G and Wifi on my MDA Compact IV.

Regards

Yes it works fine over 3G despite the fact I set the User Agent to pretend it's an iPhone. Sreenshots etc here but would appreciate if you can keep all the bug reports/feature requests in one place. (crafty@modaco = craftyb@xda - someone beat me to crafty there!)

Hi Paul, yes WVGA is on the list of things to do. Have had mixed reports of it working on the HD for some users. It's just (lazily) hard coded for VGA at the mo...

Thanks for ATD. Seeing as I scrape the BBC's website any changes they make to their HTML format breaks it. The ability to update is essential! I actually check the version XML on startup and prompt the user if a newer version is available.

Thank you Crafty! It works beautifully on my Touch Diamond.

This of course begs the question why the beeb insists on releasing iPlayer mobile so slowly for other devices (where is the Nokia internet tablet app?), yet came out with the iPhone app within months of its release.

Guest Neil5459

Thanks for this!

It installs and loads OK, though a little slow to load at present.

Navigation to other tabs/pages seems to make the program exit for some reason, though this is not consistent, and I can't tell when it will do so, and when it will load the page correctly. Will play around a little more!

Version 0.3 released

Thanks for your comments.

@NeilM - yes it is a little slow to load as it's checking that it is the most up to date version and then downloading the first feed. I did implement a splash screen to make it feel more responsive but that (for some bizarre reason) stopped the main screen from being maximised so I had to remove it!?

Shame the guy did not release the source code - this bad boy could be ported all over the place

I may do in the future. In the mean time it's un-obfuscated c# so Reflection is your friend!

Have tried both showing a new form and showing a usercontrol over the top of the main form while it is initialising. Neither approach worked. Will take another look at it this weekend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.