HP49 on the Omnia

Guest ji3m

Maybe the last time.

I got my Omnia at Christmas and as with all my earlier pda's and smartphones et. al. it wasn't long before I began the search yet another time for a RPN calculator. Much time since last time (moto-q) but still no luck for a simple RPN with a visible stack (otherwise useless).

Needless to say, it was back to the HP emulators. But the problem is worse. While the pixel size of the Omnia is 400x240 and is better than my old IPAG, the resolution (dot-pitch) is better meaning a smaller screen. Most of the KMKL skin files out there simply are not legible on the small screen with up to 4 legends on each key.

So began the final push. Deconstruct the HP keyboard and come up with a new useable layout.

A month later and here it is .

The key to the problem was to divide the keys over multiple panels which would be alternately displayed depending on the alpha and left-right shift key state. With a slight mod the EMU48PPC V1.16 and much effort with Adobe Illustrator, I am posting the results along with a zip file for installation. This assumes you already have EMU48 installed on your Omnia

If not, here isone link: http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulators/emu48m116.zip

Below are some screen shots taken off my omnia showing the different shift presentations. There are two skins: one called 'everyday' which is nearly finger friendly and the second called 'pro' for serious stylus computing.

I also made a video of the omnia in action- its on google video:

my hp49 in action

omniaHpPkg.zip

post-476211-1233777772_thumb.jpg

post-476211-1233777794_thumb.jpg

Edited by ji3m

• 1 year later...
Guest johanpalm

Jim,

I followed your instructions closely on my OMNIA i900. I have even track down a previous version of the emulator: v1.16

After I followed your instructions, execute the shortcut, except the KML, the program brings up a small dialog: ASSERT with a message: Module:.\EMU48.C Line: 610

After this message nothing happens.

Do you know what is going on?

Johan

The key to the problem was to divide the keys over multiple panels which would be alternately displayed depending on the alpha and left-right shift key state. With a slight mod the EMU48PPC V1.16 and much effort with Adobe Illustrator, I am posting the results along with a zip file for installation. This assumes you already have EMU48 installed on your Omnia

Guest johanpalm

I have resolved the issue I had. I did not install the 49G ROM which the KML is dependant on.

Jim,

I followed your instructions closely on my OMNIA i900. I have even track down a previous version of the emulator: v1.16

After I followed your instructions, execute the shortcut, except the KML, the program brings up a small dialog: ASSERT with a message: Module:.\EMU48.C Line: 610