Omnia vs Touch HD

Guest Korrupt

Guest Korrupt

I'm a complete newbie, so please bear with me. I'm planning on buying a WM device, I've narrowed it down to the Omnia i900 and the Touch HD (unlocked GSM versions); not sure what to get tough and I think it will depend on a couple of things:

1. What is the best UI, TouchWiz or TouchFlo 3D?

2. Can any of these devices be updated to WM6.5 or WM7 once they are released? (I would hate to spend a lot of money only to end up with an outdated WM version in a couple of months!!)

3. Tethering to a laptop: can any of these two smartphones be easily hacked; or do they need to be hacked at all?

4. Are there Skype (or Fring) versions for these two smartphones?

Sorry for posting so many questions, but I want to have a complete understanding of what I am getting into before commiting to buying any of these smartphones. Please chime in to any or all of the questions above. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Guest lychee_lch

I think it is very subjective of choice on which UI is the best. However, i personally TouchFlo 3D is more candy compared to TouchWiz. But who care? since our Omnian here always cook rom with bundled M2D which could provide you the TouchFlo2D.

2. Can any of these devices be updated to WM6.5 or WM7 once they are released? (I would hate to spend a lot of money only to end up with an outdated WM version in a couple of months!!)

Theoritically yes. Unless the new WM OS are resource demanding then WM6.1 since Omnia only have 128MB ROM space. Kinda retarded for that.

3. Tethering to a laptop: can any of these two smartphones be easily hacked; or do they need to be hacked at all?

Not sure but theoritically can.

Yes.

Please correct me if i am wrong in some info. Thanks.

Edited by lychee_lch

Guest jamesjames_
I'm a complete newbie, so please bear with me. I'm planning on buying a WM device, I've narrowed it down to the Omnia i900 and the Touch HD (unlocked GSM versions); not sure what to get tough and I think it will depend on a couple of things:

Sorry for posting so many questions, but I want to have a complete understanding of what I am getting into before commiting to buying any of these smartphones. Please chime in to any or all of the questions above. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1. I think that TF3D is the best UI out there. Anyway M2D (TF2D) isn't that bad after all but you should watch some Youtube videos with comparing.

2. They'll both pass the requirements for sure. The more RAM on HD compensates (in some cases) with better CPU on Omnia.

4. Of course. Just go on skype.com and in the download section you should select Windows Mobile as OS.

Guess you know the other differences. HD has bigger display with higher resolution and more RAM. But the higher resolution drains battery much faster, makes 'things' on display smaller and require more CPU usage. So it's not certainly advantage. I don't accept it this way.

Omnia has better CPU, 16GB of integrated memory, better camera (with flash and better video recording), DivX/XviD certification, much better video and audio performance, TV Out etc.

I've choosen Omnia between these 2, mostly because of the camera, video playback and integrated memory.

Guest Korrupt
1. I think that TF3D is the best UI out there. Anyway M2D (TF2D) isn't that bad after all but you should watch some Youtube videos with comparing.

2. They'll both pass the requirements for sure. The more RAM on HD compensates (in some cases) with better CPU on Omnia.

4. Of course. Just go on skype.com and in the download section you should select Windows Mobile as OS.

Guess you know the other differences. HD has bigger display with higher resolution and more RAM. But the higher resolution drains battery much faster, makes 'things' on display smaller and require more CPU usage. So it's not certainly advantage. I don't accept it this way.

Omnia has better CPU, 16GB of integrated memory, better camera (with flash and better video recording), DivX/XviD certification, much better video and audio performance, TV Out etc.

I've choosen Omnia between these 2, mostly because of the camera, video playback and integrated memory.

JamesJames, thank you very much for taking the time... I did not think about the resolution, CPU usage and the battery drain associated with that, that is the type of insight I was expecting from posting to the forum. I was initially more inclined to the Omnia - for the reasons you mention above, TV out, 5MP camera, etc - and you just gave me an additional reason for going with the Omnia. I'm placing my order and will more than likely request assistance once again in 'hacking' the device. Again many thks.