Samusng omnia warranty question

Guest Jimes123

Guest Jimes123

Hi

I have a question that I am hoping one of the experts can answer.

I got my samsung omnia on an upgrade from TMobile (UK) about 4 weeks ago. Knowing that the stock firmware is not very good flashed, the ROM with

i900-DXHL3-FINAL-OMNIA-MODACO.COM. Flash went well, no probs, super happy with my new phone and firmware working for over 3 weeks.

Plugged my phone into the charger last night, the phone went bang and began to smoke. I immediately disconnected the phone but I now have a brick.

I have tried hard resets, soft reset, battery off and nothing, when I plug it into the samsung supplied USB charger the phone heats up at the bottom and nothing else. So, phoned T-mobile, explained my situation and was advised to return it to a store for them to replace it. Nice idea but no stores seem to have them in stock anywhere. Phoned T mobile back and was advised to send it back to a Samsung service centre for repair or replace. I contacted Samsung this morning and they are sending me a return bag which I will send when it arrives. My concern is that as I have flashed the rom does that mean that Samsung are likely to refuse a fix?, or charge me for the fix?.

I am hoping that the motherbaord is fried and if so will they be able to tell that the rom has been flashed?

I would be very grateful if anyone out there might have a similar experience or knowledge about warranty and flashed roms.

Thanks very much

Jim

Update: My phone was sent to SBE (samsung's authorised repair centre) it has been there a few days, called them today and all they say that is the phone is damaged due to high voltage.

and they are not sure if a repair is possible. When I asked would a replacement phone be sent, she said that it would depend on the cause. I already explained that I plugged it in to the original Samsung charger. The agent said that the phone has been passed to an upper level tech to see if it is possible to conduct a repair and to check in a few days.

I am getting the distinct feeling that they are leaning towards a "sorry, your fault. Not covered under warranty" type situation.

Has any one else had any probs with the charger on these and surely such a situation should be covered by the warranty!

Guest lentini

SBE are bloody useless! If they can get out of repairing a phone, they will.

I sent my phone to them as it was errr....dead. It took them 3 weeks to decide to look at it, then they tried to fob me off, sent the phone back unrepaired and saying it was 'out-of-warranty' and 'beyond economical repair' as the phones PinLock had been changed and I'd needed to contant the network that supplied the phone to get it unlocked. After explaining the phone wasn't supplied by any phone network and complaining a bit to Samsung, they informed me that the phone was 'sent back to me in error' due to a system glitch. It took them a further 3 weeks to change to system board on it.

My phone still has 8 months warranty on it and I'd never get it repaired via Samsung, I'd prefer to pay the insurance excess of £25 and get it replaced.

Edited by lentini

I am getting the distinct feeling that they are leaning towards a "sorry, your fault. Not covered under warranty" type situation.

Has any one else had any probs with the charger on these and surely such a situation should be covered by the warranty!

I don't know about your country but they must prove that you used a irregular charger in my country before the sey pi*s off to you. But from my experience every service center tryes to get out of theese kind of situations so just call and call again untill they replace your phone.

I't doesn't matter if the find out that you used a custom firmware because then they'll be able to turn the phone on and from your description i highly doubt that because the MB is fried.

Guest Maxctran

I just recieved my phone from t-mobile (UK) mine didn't do the same, but when i tried flashin from the default rom to taril's rom it killed it (not switchin on, no power led etc) i was advised to say that i had tried a hard reset because the phone seemed to be glitchy and once it tried to restart it wouldn't switch on again (by taril) and they happily booked it in for repair, but that was 3 weeks ago.

Anyways they replaced my omnia with a brand new one (i checked the imei) so they must have them in stock somewhere or have the capacity to order them as required from samsung

Guest Jimes123

Well, Just spoke to SBE and they inform me that the repair has been completed (new MB) abd should have the phone back in 48 hours.

Watch this space.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

One other quick question is this. I guess that the phone will now get the samsung official firmware.

Should I keep that firmware on or use a custom rom if a custom rom whic is the best.

Thanks

James

Guest lentini
Well, Just spoke to SBE and they inform me that the repair has been completed (new MB) abd should have the phone back in 48 hours.

Surprised you actually managed to speak to them. Took me 2 days to get through to someone on the phone (note: I wasn't on hold for 2 days :( )

One other quick question is this. I guess that the phone will now get the samsung official firmware.

Should I keep that firmware on or use a custom rom if a custom rom whic is the best.

Thanks

James

yeah, it'll probably come with HJ4 on it like mine. I instantly upgraded to Taril's DXIA2 (then to DXIA5).

Guest Jimes123
Surprised you actually managed to speak to them. Took me 2 days to get through to someone on the phone (note: I wasn't on hold for 2 days :( )

yeah, it'll probably come with HJ4 on it like mine. I instantly upgraded to Taril's DXIA2 (then to DXIA5).

DXIA5 it is then.

Should be here today

Guest davey1980

hmm i work for Tmobile uk,

1 of the options would be us sending a bag out to u and having it checked by our repair centre,,if they adv u to goto a TMR (store) then they would of sent it away for us to check, u said this happend after 3week. our policy to 7day exchange BUT if u were to argue the customers rights act.(sale of right act or something) which is 3-6months then i believe u could still get a like for like exchange.

other option would be us sending out a bag to ur address (if this option not given then means u dont over spend on ur bill and not as valued)

as far as i see it as long as theres no modifications to the fone and if it went bang u should be able to argue that the fone or charger is the blame for it. (i cant see added software eg programmes causing this probs) this is more hardware issues.

if u have any other questions about Tmobile in the UK i'll be happy to help.