Best cooked rom

Guest pete_thomson

Guest pete_thomson

Hi Guys,

I decided I'm coming back to Orange after a couple of years away - mainly due to the the £5 Data package

and the 30% "employee" discount. I've got a Touch HD coming and I'm putting the TyTNII to rest for a bit.

I have been looking for a TLR rom for it but I can't find one.

What options do I have ROM wise??

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix

I've not seen a TLR ROM for the HD, personally I'm currently using Dutty 2.0 from xda-developers. It includes all the latest graphical enhancements from HTC and is really stable.

Guest pete_thomson
I've not seen a TLR ROM for the HD, personally I'm currently using Dutty 2.0 from xda-developers. It includes all the latest graphical enhancements from HTC and is really stable.

2.0?? I'm running v1.9b after v1.8 timebombed on me whilst out with friend as weekend before last!

Guess a trip back is needed.... and to re-install my apps. lol

Guest jim.mason

I was using Dutty's 1.8 but also got hit with the time bomb - panicked me for abit I can tell ya!!

Now using V2.1 which so far is great. I did also try a Win 6.5 that is also on XDA but it runs really slow so will wait until newer versions are out.

At the moment there isn't a great deal to chose from but would definately suggest a trip over to XDA Developers for some insight.

Good lck and hope you enjoy.

Jim

Guest pete_thomson
I was using Dutty's 1.8 but also got hit with the time bomb - panicked me for abit I can tell ya!!

Now using V2.1 which so far is great. I did also try a Win 6.5 that is also on XDA but it runs really slow so will wait until newer versions are out.

At the moment there isn't a great deal to chose from but would definately suggest a trip over to XDA Developers for some insight.

Good lck and hope you enjoy.

Jim

This might be stupid territory now but I'll ask anyway. I've gotten into the habit of installing apps on my SD card, and patches/hotfixes/OS related stuff on the device. I do this with the thought (and it seems to be the case listening to others) that if I reflash, all my apps are still installed as it's on the card.

However, I've noticed that the apps on the card don't survive a re-flash.... the files are still on the card but the program no longer appears to be "installed".

In the same way if you install your apps on a second HDD in your PC, and rebuild your primary partition.... the data is still there on the second disk but Windows does not believe it to be installed. Is that right? Or should I be able to pop the card back in after a flash and re-gain my apps? Is there something esel I should be doing?

Guest Shuflie
This might be stupid territory now but I'll ask anyway. I've gotten into the habit of installing apps on my SD card, and patches/hotfixes/OS related stuff on the device. I do this with the thought (and it seems to be the case listening to others) that if I reflash, all my apps are still installed as it's on the card.

However, I've noticed that the apps on the card don't survive a re-flash.... the files are still on the card but the program no longer appears to be "installed".

In the same way if you install your apps on a second HDD in your PC, and rebuild your primary partition.... the data is still there on the second disk but Windows does not believe it to be installed. Is that right? Or should I be able to pop the card back in after a flash and re-gain my apps? Is there something esel I should be doing?

Its a bit of a mixed bag really, the apps are still there but their shortcuts in the startup menu will be gone as will any registry entries that they need. Things like games should still work if you launch the executable using file explorer or another file manager, but you might have more difficulties with some applications. What I tend to do is store all the cabs for essestial programs (and modifications I really like) on the SD card and reinstall after a hardreset or flash.

Guest pete_thomson
Its a bit of a mixed bag really, the apps are still there but their shortcuts in the startup menu will be gone as will any registry entries that they need. Things like games should still work if you launch the executable using file explorer or another file manager, but you might have more difficulties with some applications. What I tend to do is store all the cabs for essestial programs (and modifications I really like) on the SD card and reinstall after a hardreset or flash.

Ah, so the "install to storage card" option is not a magical setting that stored registry entries on the SD card too.

Fair enough, I can always store the cabs - I dont have massive amounts install, but TomTom is a bit of a pain!

Guest Shuflie
Ah, so the "install to storage card" option is not a magical setting that stored registry entries on the SD card too.

Fair enough, I can always store the cabs - I dont have massive amounts install, but TomTom is a bit of a pain!

The tomtom app can live quite happily on the SD card, you just need to reinstall it again if you reset, but that shouldn't take too long. To be honest I always make a copy of the tomtom application folder on the SD card and when I reinstall the application I overwrite the new install with backup. Don't know if its really necessary or not but it seems to keep all the registration details and my favourites from one installation to the next.

Guest pete_thomson
The tomtom app can live quite happily on the SD card, you just need to reinstall it again if you reset, but that shouldn't take too long. To be honest I always make a copy of the tomtom application folder on the SD card and when I reinstall the application I overwrite the new install with backup. Don't know if its really necessary or not but it seems to keep all the registration details and my favourites from one installation to the next.

That's handy to know. I'll bear that in mind

Guest Chrissssssss

What's different in the Dutty ROM to the standard Orange one? Tried finding out but only seem to find a list of changes in the latest release.

• 1 month later...
Guest hoa Le

Why don't you use a registry editor to export the registry on the SD card and when you have to hard reset your stuff, you could import the saved registry and do a soft reset to restore your stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shuflie

Why don't you use a registry editor to export the registry on the SD card and when you have to hard reset your stuff, you could import the saved registry and do a soft reset to restore your stuff?

I haven't been keeping an eye on the Blackstone forum since I lost mine, but popped in today and saw your reply. Your method doesn't strike me as very usable to be honest. The times you would want to use it are after a hard reset or a flash upgrade, and I don't think a complete registry restore from a phone which needed a hard reset, or had a different version of firmware , would be a sensible thing to restore to your upgraded/reset device. The other option would be to only export the branches of the registry for the programs you install to the SD card, but finding everything relevant might not be so easy, and to be honest just reinstalling everything from stored CAB files is much easier (in my opinion). Ideally what I would like to see is a feature in app2date which would allow you to log in on your newly reset/flashed device and have it remember which apps you had installed with an option to reinstall everything, I seem to remember Paul writing something that had this functionality some time back but can't remember the name of it. Could even go one step further and have it act as a mini appstore and let you pick from new apps which you would like to try out.