About the "UNLIMITED" £6 GPRS package...

Guest Funkyberry

Guest Funkyberry

Hi there...

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, or whether its that wide a knowledge, but the £6 "UNLIMITED" GPRS usage a month is limited to 10MB... I called the Orange number to ask about this:

Funkyberry: "Hi there, I'm just wondering about this "UNLIMITED" GPRS usage for £6 a month... how much transfer is there".

Girl at Orange: "Its unlimited"

Funkyberry: "But I read here that its a maximum of 10MB a month?"

Girl at Orange: "Yes, but thats quite a lot"

Funkyberry: "I run a very large website, with lots of photos. I also use instant messenging, check email about 8 times a day, and leave my PC on the net the whole time - 10MB isn't very much really"

Girl at Orange: "well its quite a lot really"

Funkyberry: "but you said its "UNLIMITED"? Your marketing team seem to be doing a BT on us here... i.e. "BT ANYTIME - as long as its not longer than 10 hours a day" or whatever it was..."

Girl at Orange: "well you'll have to take that up with [some department at Orange that I forgot .. Business Operations or something?]... I've just been made redundent here, so I don't care what you do"...

I know CNet (or was it The Register?) asked someone at Orange about this, and they admitted that they didn't have anything in place to detect abuse of the system, but for the cost after that - I hop I can work out when I'm getting close!

Does anyone know how far 10MB will go with quite heavy use, or if that is a silly question, just instant messenging and the occasional email and web browsing use?

-funkyberry-

MSN Shouldnt cost too much or take up too much of the 10mb up. try doin this; on your pc, close all apps that might be running but leave msn on, make sure you have a firewall up too. now monitor the data that is being received, bearing in mind that the data being received wont be just from msn, and the msn cleint on the phone hasnt as many hidden portals inside it like the pc version has, id say the ammount of data would be tiny!

Guest spacemonkey

I am concerned by this also. (I haven't got my SPV yet)

However it is a case of wait and see just how much GPRS use there is in "normal" usage. Their policy seems tobe based on the fact that your usage shouldn't be too high if it's only "personal" because business usage is theoretically banned under the £6 tariff. Ie if you are using the GPRS to hookin to your delivery tracking system at work or that sort of thing.

Anyway... There is a tool (free trial for 15 days and then about $15US I think) spb-gprs tracker (or something like that,, search on google for GPRS, usage and smartphone 2002) which will keep a continual track of your levels of GPRS usage.

Hope that's useful

Monkey

Remember that the 10mb is NOT a limit, but an abuse cap.

If you used 30mb for 4 months, it would concern Orange.

However, if you use 15 or 25mb for the odd month, it shouldn't matter, as the odd occasion isn't abuse.

Also, Orange did not have systems in place to monitor usage when I checked a week ago.

Also, Orange did not have systems in place to monitor usage when I checked a week ago.

Working for a company that develops Billing Systems for Telco's myself I am kind of surprised by what you are saying. I am sure Orange uses one billing system for all calls. Therefore I am sure if they can rate the cost of the GPRS usage for other contracts and other phones then these will be rated by the same system that is rating those for which you have been given a fixed price. Hence you will pay £6 but they will still know exactly how much you actually cost them. I would be kind of surprised if they were suddenly running a different billing system especially for SPV users. Afterall the cost of such software management systems and the underlying rating and billing engine goes into the millions.

Personally this is something the guy at the The Register should have considered too ... but hey who am I to comment :D

Guest one.ear

Orange can and i would expect will check for "abuse" of the Promo Access Pack... Firaas > GPRS Unbilled registers all usage and reports will be available from this, just not available to frontline staff. But i agree with ref to the odd month going over the 10mb limit.. not something i would imagine Orange will worry about. Only serial "abusers" should be worried about having the promo pack removed.

Ben

Guest DubWhiZZ

Is it me or is 10 Mb nothing?

I've looked at Orange's pricing for gprs and they £want 7.49 for every Mb.

Rip off city?

I've just looked at the average sixe of my emails and would get thru half a meg of emails without attachments a month. Thats before I use MSN or browse the web or download games....

Maybe I'm gonna have to rethink my purchase cus I reckon I'd easily spend 40 ish quids on gprs alone!!!!

I guess the six quid unlimited will be like the free drugs dealers give you when they are trying to suck you in!!!

Guest DubWhiZZ

Is it me or is 10 Mb nothing?

I've looked at Orange's pricing for gprs and they £want 7.49 for every Mb.

Rip off city?

I've just looked at the average sixe of my emails and would get thru half a meg of emails without attachments a month. Thats before I use MSN or browse the web or download games....

Maybe I'm gonna have to rethink my purchase cus I reckon I'd easily spend 40 ish quids on gprs alone!!!!

I guess the six quid unlimited will be like the free drugs dealers give you when they are trying to suck you in!!!

Guest one.ear

GPRS costs on Orange:

Approx comparisons:

one megabyte = 1200 wap pages = 20 web pages = 100 emails with no attachments = 10 emails with a one page document attached = one email with a powerpoint presentation attached

Monthly Inclusive Outside of Bundle

GPRS 1 £4.00 0.5MB £8.00

GPRS 5 £15.00 5MB £3.50

GPRS 10 £25.00 10MB £2.50

GPRS 15 £30.00 15MB £1.50

GPRS 30 £47.00 25MB £1.35

GPRS 50 £58.75 50MB £1.18

GPRS 100 £111.63 100MB £1.18

GPRS 500 £528.75 500MB £1.18

Ben

Guest Tony Mc

well this is worrying....

i am due to get my phone this week.... when it comes into stock...

im getting it so i can read my mail, used msn....and send the occasional pic... managed to blag it free from orange which is nice :D... which is one of the main reasons i am getting it...

if it is going to cost me a fortune to run.... i may cancel.

anyone got a view on this

Tony

I thought GPRS was hugely expensive at the moment, on ALL networks, their milking it and the technology isnt cheep! I think some people demand broadband on their phones at broadband prices now! Never going to happen! Keep dreaming! The promo pack £6 a mnth is about the best youll get in the WORLD at the present point in time i imagine (im am making quite a few assumptions here dont shoot me down if im wrong)!

Just looked at the o2 website seems they charge £2 per meg, that works out at £100 for 50mb. The £6 per month pack wont allow you to use more than 10mb a day/week is it? and no more than 50mb in a month id say that works out cheeper! Again ive read so many confilicting statements my brain is fried!

DJ Hope

I reckon the SPV will be pretty crap without GPRS so get ready to cough up a fair amount of cash when the £6 runs out or do without a lot of the phones features.

If there wasent the £6 promo I bet a lot more people would return the phone under the 14 day return due to high running costs. Sharp move on oranges part.