Best geotagging software?

Guest Chimpanzee

Guest Chimpanzee

Can anyone suggest some good (and preferably free) software which allows me to use my Touch Pro like a GPS dongle for cameras. I've seen software which is supposed to geotag photos taken on the phone but I was after something that would just track my location to a file and then sync it with my photos to geotag them.

Would I need to use 2 separate apps? One on my phone which logs my route to KML or something and another app for my PC which links the file with my photos?

Sorry, I don't have much knowledge of this. I've just started manually geotagging my photos in Picasa and have realised how useful it would be to do it automatically in the future.

Thanks.

Edited by Chimpanzee

Guest Chimpanzee
i use GPSToday, works fine for photo's and emails/txt's

: )

I can't seem to get this to do what I'm after. It doesn't seem very intuitive. I have read the instructions of the website and I'm convinced that this will do what I'm after but I just can't get it to do it. Do I have to keep the program running? I thought it was meant to run in the background but it doesn't seem to do anything when it is. I've set it to persistent mode which is meant to record the location every 30 seconds but it just seems to do it at random intervals (1 minute, 5 minutes, 2 hours!). I've tested it when I've been outside so I wouldn't of thought it's an issue with picking up a signal?

I just want it to log records in the text file for processing later. I'm not really interested in geotagging photos taken on my device.

Any suggestions? Do you have any problems with it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kevlarski
I can't seem to get this to do what I'm after. It doesn't seem very intuitive. I have read the instructions of the website and I'm convinced that this will do what I'm after but I just can't get it to do it. Do I have to keep the program running? I thought it was meant to run in the background but it doesn't seem to do anything when it is. I've set it to persistent mode which is meant to record the location every 30 seconds but it just seems to do it at random intervals (1 minute, 5 minutes, 2 hours!). I've tested it when I've been outside so I wouldn't of thought it's an issue with picking up a signal?

I just want it to log records in the text file for processing later. I'm not really interested in geotagging photos taken on my device.

Any suggestions? Do you have any problems with it?

You could try this: http://www.gpsed.com/photo

It's free but it looks like you'll have to use gpsed which is not free anymore. You might be able to get the geotagging without gpsed but I think it does the tags when you upload a track to the site. You can get a 30-day trial of gpsed to test it if you are considering buying it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pbarclay
You could try this: http://www.gpsed.com/photo

It's free but it looks like you'll have to use gpsed which is not free anymore. You might be able to get the geotagging without gpsed but I think it does the tags when you upload a track to the site. You can get a 30-day trial of gpsed to test it if you are considering buying it.

I want something very similar for my Touch HD so I can record where I take photographs with my DSLR. One option would be to use software that would tag a snapshot from the Touch HD's in built camera so I could tally the proper 15 megapixel raw image with the small JPEG from the phone.

The HTC Fingerprints software on the new Touch Cruise looks very interesting - is there any chance that HTC will release it for us non-Touch Cruise owners?

Guest mwright

Is this any use to you

http://www.luisespinosa.com/trackme_eng.html

I have used it in the past and I think this might be close to what you want

GPS tracking tool

This tool retrieves GPS positions from a GPS device attached to a PDA. That information is later used for displaying tracks with Google Earth or Google Maps.

The program uses a server where your data is uploaded. If you don't have an Internet connection or you prefer not to use it, you can store your data locally on your PDA and upload it later when an Internet connection is available or you use ActiveSync. You can use my server (free of charge) for storing your data. TrackMe is already configured to use this server by default.

Features

* Ability to generate KML and GPX files that can be opened with any tool that supports that type of file.

* Realtime tracking with Google Earth or Google Maps.

* You can create and manage your own trips

* No internet connection is needed when using TrackMe (Offline mode)

* Ability to display your current position on your PDA

* Geofence with SMS and email notifications

* You can send your current position by email or sms to other person

* Ability to upload pictures. TrackMe will extract the GPS information/Creation date (if any) from the pictures and it will match it with your existing GPS data

* Search for closest user based on your last uploaded position

* GPS powersave mode available

* You can use your own server instead of my free server

* Stealth mode

* You can force updates with your own custom icon and comments.

Requirements

* Devices running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 (Pocket PC or Smartphones)

* Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 Download from here

* SQL Server Mobile 3.5 Download from here

* Internal or bluetooth GPS.