FingerKeyboard 2

Guest maad11

Guest sid0101
In your FingerKeyb foder there is a file called: "doc-about-skin-new.txt" where everything is explained, to quote just a piece:

So, you need to edit the layout file (for English it will be "skin-02-wqvga-land-01-eng.txt") and play with the positions and sizes for each key. I have to say that generally it is relatively easy, but very time consuming - since any change of one of the keys' numbers will reflect in the other keys in the row...

For some keys (space bar) you can not change the dimensions too much - it will not work, in this case it must be photoshoped... (the actual button picture from the skin folder).

Anyway, I must have too much free time obviously and played with it for a while:

Landscape with bigger keys and still arrows:

landscape1.png

w400.png

Landscape with wider keys, no arrows:

landscape2.png

[url=http://g.imageshack.us/img515/landscape2.png/1/]%7Boption%7Dhttp:

I am attaching the layout files in two rar files, if you would like to try them out - please unpack the one you want and copy it to the Program Files/FingerKeyb/Skins folder. These are the English layouts, but of course can be adapted to any variation you want.

Hope it helps

Dude, you're Cool - with a capital C. Your tag should be "AwesomeMan11."

Thanks a lot, I will be using this.

Guest theidoctor.org

ok so i have been trying to get this thing figured out but it keeps giving me problems.

I get this error code whenever i try to get into the keyboard options to change the skin...

" An Expected error has occurred in FngKbdConfig.exe

Select quit and then restart this program, or select details for more information."

the black red text is also not changed, but it is set to the default grey/ green skin but im unable to change it.

is there a way to get the click noise out too i deleted the click-0 file but still clicking lol

Guest sid0101
nope... tried that after each change

you need to uninstall. After uninstalling you need to go into your program folder and delete the remaining folder of fingerkeyboard; this is because the skin folder still has the edited files.

After uninstalling AND deleting the folder you will need to reinstall. Once its reinstalled you need to edit the files you have, not the ones you downloaded from Mad11. In other words, take Mad11 files, open them using your text edit/notepad program. Next, open YOUR EXISTING files that correspond to the ones that you downloaded from Mad11 using text edit/notepad program. So, at this point you should have two sets of files open; Mad11's and your own. Next, select and copy the text from Mad11's files and copy over the text in YOUR file.

Hope it helps. It helped me; I had the same problem.

Guest pekkala89
HOW TO REMOVED SOUND OF KEYPAD WHEN PRESSING...

TIA

Go to settings>personal>input>select phonepad from the dropdown>press options>untick "Turn on screen tap sound"

Guest maad11

Hi,

I have improved (at least IMHO) the English landscape layout a bit - the one without arrows. I am also including a Polish landscape without arrows - for Polish users or anyone who wants to type in Polish :(

MOVED to Post # 1 under "MOD IV" section

Regards

Edited by maad11

Guest sid0101
Hi,

I have improved (at least IMHO) the English landscape layout a bit - the one without arrows. I am also including a Polish landscape without arrows - for Polish users or anyone who wants to type in Polish :(

englishlandscape2.png

polskilandscape.png

Files are attached in the rar archives.

Regards

Great Stuff dude. I think with your contribution to this keyboard - it is definitely one of the best for the Omnia. Hopefully future releases of fingerkeyboard will give us XT9 support.

Guest maad11
Great Stuff dude. I think with your contribution to this keyboard - it is definitely one of the best for the Omnia. Hopefully future releases of fingerkeyboard will give us XT9 support.

Thanks. The Xt9 would be nice, although with this keyboard somehow I can type faster than with the Samsung's one with the xt9

I have been playing with the portrait layouts as well.

If you would like smaller keyboard and sucrifice the arrows, keep reading:

Since one wants to get rid of the arrows, ie make the keyboard smaller - you have to modify the general config file for all portraits layouts: "skin-02-wqvga-port-00-types.txt" that will have its effect on all your portrait layouts (national) and including the numeric one.

MOVED to Post # 1 under "MOD V" section

There is another, quick way.

MOVED to Post # 1 under "MOD VI" section

Edited by maad11

Guest theidoctor.org

thanks guys for all the help.. i finally got it to work... now i am trying to figure our the customizations. i want capital s to write out theidoctor when i hold it but i think i did it wrong...

Key 37 39 22 31 1,1,4,1 key0 key1 s,CSCHEME.Smile2,S,The SC:s,AC:Smile2,SC:S,SS:10theidoctor

any tips?

Guest theidoctor.org

thanks guys for all the help.. i finally got it to work... now i am trying to figure our the customizations. i want capital s to write out theidoctor when i hold it but i think i did it wrong...

Key 37 39 22 31 1,1,4,1 key0 key1 s,CSCHEME.Smile2,S,The SC:s,AC:Smile2,SC:S,SS:10theidoctor

any tips?

Guest sid0101
Thanks. The Xt9 would be nice, although with this keyboard somehow I can type faster than with the Samsung's one with the xt9

I have been playing with the portrait layouts as well.

If you would like smaller keyboard and sucrifice the arrows, keep reading:

Since one wants to get rid of the arrows, ie make the keyboard smaller - you have to modify the general config file for all portraits layouts: "skin-02-wqvga-port-00-types.txt" that will have its effect on all your portrait layouts (national) and including the numeric one.

Below please see the screenshots:

1. On the left: original layout, on the right: my quick modification

compare.png

2. Numeric layout mod and an example how other (national) non-modified layout will be displayed after applying the mod

numericandother.png

So, if you want to try it, you will find 3 files included in the attached file "English_portrait _no _arrows_bigger_keys.zip" that need to be extracted and copied to Skins directory. The numeric layout is not very pretty, because I wanted to keep the arrows and the images for keys and spacebar can not be downsized.

Please back up your original files before applying these ones.

There is another, quick way. If you want to just have smaller keyboard in all portrait layouts - loose the arrows (also in the numeric pad), leave the original portrait layouts (the big ones with arrows), download the attached zip "no_arrows_wqvga_portrait.zip", unpack it and copy the txt to skins directory. This way the general hight for all portrait keyboards will be smaller, and the arrows just simpy do not fit on the screen, see:

compare2.png

Your like a Fingerkeyboard god.

I like the idea of removing the arrows from the portrait mode. I also see that the keyboard gets smaller. Is that because the keyboard is an image itself and needs to be resized if the arrow key is removed? Or does it resize automatically?

After seeing that you have removed the arrows from portrait mode, I started to wonder whether the keyboard size could stay the same, while making the (letters) a little taller and maybe even wider (probably not)? I know it might look a little silly, but you are kinda spoiling the rest of us.... B) :P :D

I only ask this because of my large thumbs...sigh. Anyhow, if its not feasible, they smaller keyboard is a nice addition.

Thanks against keyboard God. :(

Guest maad11

any tips?

This one works for me:

Did you reload (restart) the keyboard after overwriting the new layout file?. It is required to have the new layout working... Simply turn on the keyboard, change it to other keyboard (like Samsung one) and change it back to FingerKeyboard.

Regards

Guest maad11
Your like a Fingerkeyboard god.

ROTFL... I think you overestimate me a bit... :(

I like the idea of removing the arrows from the portrait mode. I also see that the keyboard gets smaller. Is that because the keyboard is an image itself and needs to be resized if the arrow key is removed? Or does it resize automatically?

After seeing that you have removed the arrows from portrait mode, I started to wonder whether the keyboard size could stay the same, while making the (letters) a little taller and maybe even wider (probably not)? I know it might look a little silly, but you are kinda spoiling the rest of us.... :P :D :P

I only ask this because of my large thumbs...sigh. Anyhow, if its not feasible, they smaller keyboard is a nice addition.

Thanks against keyboard God. B)

As far as I know, there are 2 files that describe the size and look of the keyboard:

- in the "skin-02-wqvga-port-00-types.txt" you will find the size of the whole keyboard - in the original layout it is 240 x 182 pixels. This applies to all portrait layouts.

- in the layout file (for example "skin-02-wqvga-port-01-eng.txt") you find the coordinates of the each key position (x,y) and also its size. In this file there is also some other important parameters (like the dark background dimension). This apllies only to this specific layout.

So, if you look at my previous mods of the portrait layouts, this is what I did:

- mod 1: changed the height of the keys (increased from 31 to 33) and lowered the total height of the keyboard (from 182 to 160) it required modifing both files: the layout and the general config

- mod 2: changed only the general config file: decreased the height from 182 to 142) this way the lowest row simply does not fit on the screen anymore and is not visible. Just a quick trick.

Actually, leaving a tall (about 200 pixels) keyboard with only 4 rows of higher keys is quite simple. Just change their size and position - if you make the first row higher, you have to move the next row lower and so on. I could do it, if you want.

Edit...

This was quick and easy...

MOVED to Post #1 under "mod VII" section

Unfortunately, I do not think that it is possible to make them wider - there is no more room left, look at the first row:q-p - it is from side to side already.

---Edit---

This is probably my last mod before I retire, otherwise I'll be facing a divorce :D

For those of you, who use the big buttons and miss the total lack of arrows in portrait, I modified the numeric pad, it looks

MOVED to Post #1 under "mod VIII" section

Regards

Edited by maad11

Guest TheDrizzle

Is there any way to control how quickly the zoomed in image of the key appears? If I just tap the key quickly, the zoomed-in box does not appear. I have to hold to the key down for a small amount of time to see it. On other keyboards (like zoomboard), it shows as soon as the key is touched.

I also noticed that when I use the key to minimize the keyboard (the keyboard with down arrow icon), it seems to "stick" on the screen after the keyboard minimizes. I have to bring up the keyboard, then minimize again for it to go away. Anyone else notice this? A similar things seems to happen with the spacebar too. It's like the zoomed-in image is getting "stuck" on the screen somehow.

Also, I wonder if it is possible to do the "slide" zooming? For example, if I tap and hold on O and slide to P and pick up my finger, it types the key where my finger released vs pressed (again, similar to zoomboard or spb keyboard).

That being said, this keyboard is amazingly customizable and a lot of fun to use! Thanks for sharing it with to this forum!

Edited by TheDrizzle

Guest dwallersv
its not bad but touchpal is better have a look

http://www.cootek.com/intro.aspx

thats what i think anyways it has a free trial but the full version is on the net if u know where to look (no im not going to tell board rules and all) :(

Okay... I've had TouchPal installed for 24 hours and have really been giving it a workout.

It is hands-down the best SIP I have used, ever. Across several TREOs, the Samsung, and the usually T9 SIPs from "dumb" phones.

Once you learn the tricks, it is damn good and damn fast! And, with the mistyping correction turned on, you truly can just "fat thumb" the full keyboard, despite the narrow keys (my thumbs cover nearly three horizontally), and it does an amazingly accurate job of actually figuring out what you're typing. It's almost spooky -- like it has telepathy or something.

Of course, the truth is that the developers have really just done a very, very good job with their word and grammar dictionaries, and prediction engine.

The only bug I found is that the Transcriber SIP no longer works after I installed TouchPal. I like the Transcriber, but with this SIP I don't think I'll miss it, and I expect the developer will fix this eventually anyway (logged a bug report).

I just paid my US$13 for this awesome piece of software. I'd strongly urge everyone to give it a trial. If you like it, please go ahead and buy at this modest price so we can support its development.

Guest theidoctor.org
This one works for me:

Did you reload (restart) the keyboard after overwriting the new layout file?. It is required to have the new layout working... Simply turn on the keyboard, change it to other keyboard (like Samsung one) and change it back to FingerKeyboard.

Regards

yea i restarted overtime by turning my phone off and on. i didn't know i could just switch the keyboards.

my problem is that my keyboard only shows q and w. but only in portrait mode. my coding looks good but it may have been something i did... i will probably revert to the original file and try again. thanks dude.

Guest maad11
Is there any way to control how quickly the zoomed in image of the key appears? If I just tap the key quickly, the zoomed-in box does not appear. I have to hold to the key down for a small amount of time to see it. Other keyboard (like zoomboard) it shows as soon as the key is touched.

I also noticed that when I use the key to minimize the keyboard (the keyboard with down arrow icon), it seems to "stick" on the screen after the keyboard minimizes. I have to bring up the keyboard, then minimize again for it to go away. Anyone else notice this? A similar things seems to happen with the spacebar too. It's like the zoomed-in image is getting "stuck" on the screen somehow.

Actually it seems pretty quick to me with showing the zoomed key, also did not have problems with "stuck" display. Maybe it is something ROM specific, large load on your processor or interfere with some other application...?

Also, I wonder if it is possible to do the "slide" zooming? For example, if I tap and hold on O and slide to P and pick up my finger, it types the key where my finger released vs pressed (again, similar to zoomboard or spb keyboard).

That being said, this keyboard is amazingly customizable and a lot of fun to use! Thanks for sharing it with to this forum!

This keyboard works with "sliding", it types the letter where you pick up your finger and not where you first touch. However, if you hold too long - it will type the letter assigned to the hold function. If you want to play with the time after which the "hold letter" kick in, I think you should modifiy the file: "skin-01-global.txt", there is this line:

HoldTime 400

I am not sure though, just my assumption - good luck :(

Regards

Guest sid0101
ROTFL... I think you overestimate me a bit... :(

As far as I know, there are 2 files that describe the size and look of the keyboard:

- in the "skin-02-wqvga-port-00-types.txt" you will find the size of the whole keyboard - in the original layout it is 240 x 182 pixels. This applies to all portrait layouts.

- in the layout file (for example "skin-02-wqvga-port-01-eng.txt") you find the coordinates of the each key position (x,y) and also its size. In this file there is also some other important parameters (like the dark background dimension). This apllies only to this specific layout.

So, if you look at my previous mods of the portrait layouts, this is what I did:

- mod 1: changed the height of the keys (increased from 31 to 33) and lowered the total height of the keyboard (from 182 to 160) it required modifing both files: the layout and the general config

- mod 2: changed only the general config file: decreased the height from 182 to 142) this way the lowest row simply does not fit on the screen anymore and is not visible. Just a quick trick.

Actually, leaving a tall (about 200 pixels) keyboard with only 4 rows of higher keys is quite simple. Just change their size and position - if you make the first row higher, you have to move the next row lower and so on. I could do it, if you want.

Edit...

This was quick and easy... Button hights increased from 31 to 40 pixels, general dimension of the keyboard roughly the same:

compare3.png

To use it, download the attached txt files and overwrite to Skins directory, it needs the original "skin-02-wqvga-port-00-types.txt" file.

Unfortunately, I do not think that it is possible to make them wider - there is no more room left, look at the first row:q-p - it is from side to side already.

Regards

Simply pure Awesomeness.

Guest dwallersv
The only bug I found is that the Transcriber SIP no longer works after I installed TouchPal. I like the Transcriber, but with this SIP I don't think I'll miss it, and I expect the developer will fix this eventually anyway (logged a bug report).

URP... this problem has gone away. Transcriber works now.

I think I didn't reboot after installing the trial, and this was the problem.

Anyway, the other bug I found is that the "select all" button doesn't work on the Omnia. Again, something that I'm sure will be fixed in a later release. Also, the landscape layout leaves much to be desired, being very small -- looks like they don't account for the width available, but simply size the portrait layout based on available screen height in whatever orientation you're working in.

This was raised in the cootek site forum, and they responded that they are working on a new layout for WQVGA and other wide screens for the next release. I can live with it, since there are plenty of alternatives for those times I need to input in landscape, which for me is rare compared to portrait.

Guest maad11
Also, the landscape layout leaves much to be desired, being very small -- looks like they don't account for the width available, but simply size the portrait layout based on available screen height in whatever orientation you're working in.

This was raised in the cootek site forum, and they responded that they are working on a new layout for WQVGA and other wide screens for the next release. I can live with it, since there are plenty of alternatives for those times I need to input in landscape, which for me is rare compared to portrait.

Check my posts #25 and #34 maybe this will help you with landscape.

Regards