OMNIA or IPHONE

Guest dijpa

Guest sys_error
just installed DXIA5...

... will let you know battery life/hangs/soft resets requirements later...

why bother to install DXIA5? i would rather you go poke an apple's arse.

no need to let us know anything, we are not interested... shoo, shoo, please go away!

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Lol! Almost everyday in the subway, people ask me if i have an iPhone (they mostly see it on tv...) and that they didn't know it was working with gloves! I just answer that the iphone doesn't even have a mouse and a Start menu... And I do recommend they buy an iPhone, keep Winmo for people who know. Just like somebody says in a upper post, either you lead or you follow. Guess where is WinMo...

To the Omnia basher:

1) go to an iphone forum to bash the Omnia

2) respect others: we don't say your hype phone is crap because the bluetooth only works with a headset and can't even communicate with other phones, not even saying a computer...

3) if your too stupid to make your way around winmo, just play with your kid phone and let the serious things to men.

Have fun with you Iphone, make the App store richer and let us cook, flash, install, tweak, modify, customize and hell yeah, SOFT and HARD RESET for God's Sake!

2nd that and I've not gotten tired of trying new things on my Omnia for the past 6 months, SOOOOO many new and old apps to try, buggy yes but fun: PRICELESS and if something stopped working? 2 min of restoring (thnx to SPB) got it back to where I wanted.

Ok I got FREE full laptop version of a REAL GPS turn by turn voice navigation so here is a final knockout to icrappy iPhone fan boys: absolutely NO voice turn by turn GPS navigation (you can sue Apple for misleading ads about "GPS navigation" but it is actually only a "map" B) and good luck to jailbreaking the damn skin deep pretty iphone.

Trust me, I got 7 co workers with iPhone and after months of comparing side by side (forget the non 3G one because his owner complained about battery life), gaming graphics is the best on iphone and so is its light touch UI and that is it! Asphalt 4 on ipone does NOT have tilt control :( so left and right portion of the screen was block by the damn fingers lol. Hologram stunned the hell out of them. Ah it was funny to see an error when I asked an iphone owner to go directly to youtube.com website (and all we know why right?) In all Omnia has almost everything for business AND entertainment alike (all the little nifty tricks from its big brother desktop OS version) and btw I came across this interesting article today and it is EXACTLY what all iphone owners have been wanting after a damn 2 years (contract is up so hurry over to Symbian or wmo lol):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343013,00.asp

So I said if iPhone got what it missed from Omnia then I would consider buying it but until then..

Guest Jokes On You

That has to be the funniest thing Ive seen in a while. And Jobs comment that people who use keyboards are "standing in the way of human progress". Yes Jobs we should all forget how to type 30 wpm and use a wheel made by you. Matter of fact lets all go buy a macbook and iphone and further add to your technological monopoly. B) Anything apple is made for the average person not for anyone who is into customization. This poster is obviously an average joe who doesnt know how to use the phone and is frustrated. O yea your precious iphone interface has been replicated by both iFonz and Wisbar. :( If you want a quick interface then go with iphone but if you want limitless possibilities then go with Wimmo.

Guest justpratik

hello,

may samsung omnia is buggy .

but it is still far far better then IPHONE.

Just compare following

iphone/omnia

8/16gig/8/16gig + (1/2/4/8/16/32 gb microsd),

macos/windows (seamless integration with windows for sync/storage/wifi/internet sharing and alot)

iphone has only few hundred app/while windows have millions of apps.

iphone has 2mp/omnia 5mp.

iphone have no a2dp,bluetooth file send/rec.

where is file manager in iphone?

can u change or add the ui in iphone?

Guest mobilehappy
I love my omnia too, but i agree with the OP in one respect: i wish there was decent intuitive mp3 player software with playlists, sorted by genre/artist/album etc as you get with the bloody iphone. And TBH i would love to be able to sync straight from Itunes....

Thats it tho, in every other respect the omnia is tweakable perfection.

Kinoma Play is great, even better than many standalone MP3 players ... it also includes alot of extra features...

As an alternative there is also Pocket Player

Guest Natsirt

OMFG!! ROFL!!! lol.. pure idiocy.. "...one of the lucky people to be able to try out the new macbook wheel and take 45 minutes to type an email."

"New hummingbird battery that can last an amazing 20 minutes before it needs recharging"

guess we cant type emails if we dont hav it plugged in, nevermind because everything is accessible within only a insanely small few hundred clicks away!!

Edited by Natsirt

I have had an omnia now for 4 months... and I've seen my friends Iphone.. and my general opinion is that the SAMSUNG OMNIA is shite... its full of bugs... unsupported... no "iphone" type apps beong developed... ZERO coordination on rom updates... multiple countries, multiple roms, multiple bugs...

Why did samsung bother?

.. oh... wait a minute... they didnt.

the IPHONE is intuitive, and designed from the ground up to work, it has an excellent array of programs that can be downloaded and installed, the camera works... etc etc...

OMNIA... jeez... this thing needs soft reseting EVERY day... it hangs for no reason, there are NO releases from samsung to fix bugs, we have to search for custom roms, we have to be software engineers just to install the damn things...

OMNIA in the UK is a complete failure... iphone killer my arse... it has only taken extremem will power to stop me throwing the thing against the wall on some evenings... Why oh why is it so bad?

seems like u just made some good enemies here. talking cr*p abt the omnia here is like giving urself to be eaten alive by the wolves here.

we are real diehard lovers of the omnia here and we are definetly not interested in baby stuffs like iphone, its just a good looking thing filled with cr*p inside. the iphone somtimes locks itself and u need to reconnect it to the pc to unlock it and besides the better screen resolution, just mention one thing that it has which is worth its price?

my friend bought his iphone last year and i bought my omnia this year, he saw my phone and at first was boasting abt his iphone so much, not that he can see what my omnia is capable of.... installing new apps with ability to modify them to ur own taste or needs, GPS,5 Mp camera, able to use it as a wifirouter and many more stuffs, he is regretting every penny he spent for that phone.besides iphone is only and simply a phone, while the omnia is classifed as SMARTPHONE/POCKET PC. i never heard anything smart abt the iphone. if i have to mention all the pros of an omnia against an iphone, then basically i would take 5 pages in this thread just to mention how the omnia is better than the i(cr*p)phone.

i mean, sure if the iphone was selling for £10 operator free, then yes i might consider having it like a small toy. but the omnia is worth every penny u spend for it.

frustrated that samsung is not updating firmwares too often, hey, every 2 to 3 months we got new ROMS, and besides, there are many talented people here on whom u can depend to get the one of the best ROMS, softwares. and yeah i forgot, samsung just released the developpers APIs for the omnia,, did apple ever mention about opening their OS for the iphone to be able to modify it as us wish?

but hey, if u are only into the only good looking cr*p stuff (actually only the screen resolution is good looking), then good for u man, just sell ur omnia and go for the iphone, but if u are more into grown up phones, then u are welcome here with an omnia.

Guest dwethiswar

no need to let us know anything, we are not interested... shoo, shoo, please go away!

dude, seriously, hold back a bit, will you? At least the TS is not a genuine apple troll that just comes bashing the omnia, no, he's doing an effort and installs DXIA5 (in which he appears to have succeeded, which in turn proves part of his own post wrong ;]).

Maybe you are not interested (which maybe proves you're the one poking MS' arse? or Samsung's arse?), well I am, I'd really like to know if he's changed his mind a bit after checking out the latest rom.

Guest dijpa

ok ok.... so I've installed DXIA5 (after first installing DXHK3) over MSHJ1 which was the first rom I installed over the orange branded BVHH1...

jeez... I sound like a software geek... this is precisely whats wrong with it... its far too much like a damned PC... I decided on the omnia originally over the iphone precisely because of its "uber" spec in comparison... but its execution of a great idea is so very poor... its too buggy, it requires too many skills and too much time to personalise and get it right... when frankly it should have been perfect straight out of the box...

its utterly ridiculous that the official samsung site doesnt have a clearly defined upgrade facility... Why on earth do the network providers release their own roms and then no possible mechanism to upgrade? you have to search the internet, find these obscure forums where geeks (yes, I think most of you probably are), have both the time and the inclination to reinvent the wheel... and users like me (that just want the phone to work), are invariably drawn to in desperation.

Out of the box (from orange)... when I first got the phone I was excited to try all the little gizmos... it connected to my wifi router perfectly... and I merrily browsed to the bbc iplayer website... "cool"... I click on a programme and hey presto, it plays beautifully... with NO SOUND... and thus began the beginning of my foray into the wonderful world of omnia ROMs...

The more I use the omnia the more I get annoyed with its nuances... I want to follow a link on a website, but the omnia cant decide if I want to zoom in or zoom out... "AAARRRGGGHHH".... then it hangs... so I reset... I then spend hours trawling the internet and discover that other people are suffering from similar problems... but there is a solution... upgrade your rom! - some people have an aptitude for these things and some people dont... but frankly, why the fark should you have to? When I bought a TV recently I didnt give a rats arse about the motherboard inside, or memory or the farking ROM chip version... I just want to turn it on and watch telly... and yet phone manufacturers and that spawn of satan cnut Bill Gates... seem to think that when you buy a PC or a phone, thats precisely what should be on your mind... well guess what... some of us WORK for a living... these are simply TOOLS to get the job done... and the majority of users do not live breath and eat this s***.

But I digress... DXIA5 appears to be a little more stable than the previous two roms I used... it hasnt needed to be soft reset yet, and the battery life which is dreadful at best, seems to be just as bad... I reinstalled spb and syncd outlook contacts so all seems to be hunky dory at the mo... I even got fring working with skype, I'm a farking Geeeeeeniuuuuuuuus....

Guest Natsirt
ok ok.... so I've installed DXIA5 (after first installing DXHK3) over MSHJ1 which was the first rom I installed over the orange branded BVHH1...

jeez... I sound like a software geek... this is precisely whats wrong with it... its far too much like a damned PC... I decided on the omnia originally over the iphone precisely because of its "uber" spec in comparison... but its execution of a great idea is so very poor... its too buggy, it requires too many skills and too much time to personalise and get it right... when frankly it should have been perfect straight out of the box...

its utterly ridiculous that the official samsung site doesnt have a clearly defined upgrade facility... Why on earth do the network providers release their own roms and then no possible mechanism to upgrade? you have to search the internet, find these obscure forums where geeks (yes, I think most of you probably are), have both the time and the inclination to reinvent the wheel... and users like me (that just want the phone to work), are invariably drawn to in desperation.

Out of the box (from orange)... when I first got the phone I was excited to try all the little gizmos... it connected to my wifi router perfectly... and I merrily browsed to the bbc iplayer website... "cool"... I click on a programme and hey presto, it plays beautifully... with NO SOUND... and thus began the beginning of my foray into the wonderful world of omnia ROMs...

The more I use the omnia the more I get annoyed with its nuances... I want to follow a link on a website, but the omnia cant decide if I want to zoom in or zoom out... "AAARRRGGGHHH".... then it hangs... so I reset... I then spend hours trawling the internet and discover that other people are suffering from similar problems... but there is a solution... upgrade your rom! - some people have an aptitude for these things and some people dont... but frankly, why the fark should you have to? When I bought a TV recently I didnt give a rats arse about the motherboard inside, or memory or the farking ROM chip version... I just want to turn it on and watch telly... and yet phone manufacturers and that spawn of satan cnut Bill Gates... seem to think that when you buy a PC or a phone, thats precisely what should be on your mind... well guess what... some of us WORK for a living... these are simply TOOLS to get the job done... and the majority of users do not live breath and eat this s***.

But I digress... DXIA5 appears to be a little more stable than the previous two roms I used... it hasnt needed to be soft reset yet, and the battery life which is dreadful at best, seems to be just as bad... I reinstalled spb and syncd outlook contacts so all seems to be hunky dory at the mo... I even got fring working with skype, I'm a farking Geeeeeeniuuuuuuuus....

Well done, do you want a medal??

If you despise your omnia so much, why not just sell the device and get yourself a dam iphone..

If you despise your omnia so much, why not just sell the device and get yourself a dam iphone..

cannot agree more with Natsirt!!!!

well put and said

Edited by kav

Guest bpivk

Ok i'll use my favourite line from a movie: Are you dumb or just plain old stupid?

No offence ment but you have a whole section that talks about roms not to mention Samsung's site. You just go there and take a look at Secany's post and you're set. Or choose a country on Samsung's webpage and download the blasted thing. You don't have to be a geek to figure that out.  B)

And uprgade process works in three easy steps if you can read and understand english. And as always i'll just say that if my brother cann upgrade his firmware then everyone can and his way of turning off the computer is with an axe.  :(

Guest forelli

This phone isnt for everyone, I have the US I910 model and I wish I could send it back too. Mainly for the Poor Reception (I average 0-2 bars at the most. Which if any body has a tweak that can resolve this that would be great) but apparently samasung/verizon US forgot they were making a phone 1st and a PC second.

On another note: post like this are extremely important, people need unbasis information when it comes to buying cell phones. They need the Good and the bad as much as it hurts. I myself wish I read this post 3 months ago. I probaly wouldnt be kicking myself in the a$$ hoping that this would work out.

Edited by forelli

Omnia = a stick shift Carrera GT (NOT EASY to drive and easy to burn up its clutch taking off) or a Turbo 911 B) (good for either a daily hauler or an exciting track day)

iPhone = a luxo cruiser like a big old fat Cadillac or GM (no need to use a brain to operate it: NICE huh)

That has to be the funniest thing Ive seen in a while. And Jobs comment that people who use keyboards are "standing in the way of human progress". Yes Jobs we should all forget how to type 30 wpm and use a wheel made by you. Matter of fact lets all go buy a macbook and iphone and further add to your technological monopoly. B) Anything apple is made for the average person not for anyone who is into customization. This poster is obviously an average joe who doesnt know how to use the phone and is frustrated. O yea your precious iphone interface has been replicated by both iFonz and Wisbar. :( If you want a quick interface then go with iphone but if you want limitless possibilities then go with Wimmo.

HAHAHA LOL :( , Oh man just skipped the link because thinking of waste of time but holy funny crap, it was HILARIOUS to see the clip of a BIG joke netbook from Apple = an absolute failure :( . So funny to watch adults (or clowns lol) playing with the BIG joke scroll wheel that looks right out of proportion relative to the netbook: the BIGGEST thumb wheel on the BIGGEST ipod :( , and had to scroll down through probably hundreds of defined messages to select one: just plain weird, stupid, and SLOOOOW. Jobs got sooooo stuck with the one button iPhone so much that he got carried away with this BIG joke (see the girl's grumpy face playing with it).

Guest absolutly

Recently I have been developing for Windows Mobile, specifically to write games for the upcoming Windows Mobile Appstores that are coming very soon. I can say without a doubt that the fault of the interface/slowness/crashing issues is mostly Microsoft's fault. Microsoft has basically neutered Windows Mobile to be "compatible" with existing hardware. "Compatible" means "things Microsoft thinks your phone can and can't do".

What that means is, well, lets take Compact Framework 1.0. Its a SUBSET of functions that allow you to program for pocketpc/winmo. In CF 2.0, they implemented Alpha Blending, basically the fadein/fadeout Transparency effect (such as in Vista). Why wasn't this in CF 1.0? Because Microsoft excluded it purposely! And not all graphics libraries were implemented in 2.0 or 3.5, for instance there is no GDI+, which is known to speed up graphics processing on standard windows apps using visual studio languages.

Pretty much if you want to do anything at least half the speed of its potential on WinMo, you need to use native code. Microsoft has put a layer on top of native code for "managed functions" thats supposed to make it easier to implement your code, but you know what? That managed code slows down graphics processing considerably. It makes things choppy.

As I understand it Apple has also disabled its SDK, but only to small time developers like you and me. You can't hardware render on the iphone unless you are authorized by Apple, like a licensed Apple developer. All graphics must be rendered in software. Definitely a minus, but at least there they didn't exclude functions from the library!

If there was anything Samsung could have done to make the Omnia better, the screen should be true color! It only displays like 65000 colors. Which is why the colors don't "pop" as much as the iphone does. When it comes to multi-touch, even if Microsoft implemented multi touch in its OS, the screen still needs to support it as well.

I could name a ton of things that the Omnia is better at than iphone, like the camera (with flash), video function, removable memory, replaceable battery, battery life, haptic feedback, etc. But hardware-wise, hands down the iphone's best quality is its screen. And a lot of people would take this one thing over all those other features that are better on Omnia and some wouldn't. Personally I would have been 50/50 between iphone and Omnia if I had AT&T. But I have Verizon, and for someone wanting to stay with Verizon, Omnia is the phone to get IMO.

Guest djdavid60
This phone isnt for everyone, I have the US I910 model and I wish I could send it back too. Mainly for the Poor Reception (I average 0-2 bars at the most. Which if any body has a tweak that can resolve this that would be great) but apparently samasung/verizon US forgot they were making a phone 1st and a PC second.

There you go, blame the phone for your service provider's lousy coverage in your area.

Guest nossy_89

I used to work in a phone shop and had the iphone and now have the omnia, nuff said........................ for now

errrrm I was multitasking, listening to music, texting, on the internet and sending files via bluetooth.............. wait that was my omnia. Did you know that with the iphone if yr listening to music that you have to exit it before replying to a text, even the ipod nano allowed you to play a game and listen to music at the same time. As for programmes, its Windows Mobile, what programmes are you after? With Ifonz you can get the iphone interface, you can get the HTC interface using Manilla 2D, SPB shell, Omnia Widgets etc but you can't do that on the iphone.

20080926-stone-vs-iphone.jpg

Guest smoothcrooner
PS everybody mentions Winmo crashing. I was amazed at how often my wife's iphone crashes. More than my Omnia!

Hear, hear. My girlfriend has got an iPhone 3G and you wouldn't believe how many times the d**n phone crashes. When me and my girlfriend are out and about, we have to use my omnia to take pictures, I think we all know the reason why. The only drawback on the omnia is the screen resolution, but I believe that will change with the upgrade to the omnia sometime this year or next, but in all other aspects, it canes the iPhone. Bring on winmo 6.5 & 7.

Guest smoothcrooner

Are you thick and stupid? Did u actually do your research before u bought the omnia. It is winmo and ppc, it is suppose to be "like a damned PC", hence the term ppc, duh. Why don't you just do urself a favour, just sell off the omnia to someone who will appreciate it, like we do.

Guest smoothcrooner

Hear, hear.

I used to work in a phone shop and had the iphone and now have the omnia, nuff said........................ for now

errrrm I was multitasking, listening to music, texting, on the internet and sending files via bluetooth.............. wait that was my omnia. Did you know that with the iphone if yr listening to music that you have to exit it before replying to a text, even the ipod nano allowed you to play a game and listen to music at the same time. As for programmes, its Windows Mobile, what programmes are you after? With Ifonz you can get the iphone interface, you can get the HTC interface using Manilla 2D, SPB shell, Omnia Widgets etc but you can't do that on the iphone.

20080926-stone-vs-iphone.jpg

HAHAHA you are so funny and really lighted me up for today, iPhone is only better than brick phone.