OMNIA or IPHONE

Guest dijpa

Guest blu_bie

geezzz....

iphone and omnia???

omnia is best i think,the camera is more advance than iphone,and more cheaper than that ipod with phone :D

and the app for omnia wm good,many many of them....

and for iphone? do i must crack or buy?? so.....? ;)

Guest ^nighthawk^

I havent read the whole load of posts on this.

But the Omnia has a steeper learning curve to get it to work at its full potential.

Let me get one thing straight tho.

I HATE iTunes, i think any company that cant just introduce a standard usb method for copying hte music on you device with a simple playlist/db format needs to be shot. You have an ipod for example......you need to use itunes (or some hacked together 3rd party software emulating itunes) to get music on to your device. This forces you into using iTunes. I'd love to see Apple taken to the european courts for this.

I use f00bar 2000 on my home pc, like the omnia it needs tweaking to get the best out of it, but it craps on apples sluggish bloatware from an immense height.

I use coreplayer on my phone and i find that to be fine.

Yeah the Omnia has a learning curve and it has problems with the original samsung firmware...the unofficial DXID1 is fine for me though ;)

Its spec blows the iPhone and Iphone 3G, and most of the 3GS features out of the water, this isnt even a competition.

It seems people with the i910's are people having an issue.

I'm in the uk with an i900 and i think its great.

Seriously if you try hard with your devices you can make them into something better for you. PC, Laptop, Phone etc.

I dont have freezing issues, gprs dropouts, nothing like that. There are loads of free Win Mo apps available where apple want you to buy the equivalent apps on their app store...and whats so funny is so many suckers buy them!! So microsoft is opening its own app store cause like me i'm sure they couldnt believe so many suckers would buy them!! There are so few useful apps too! If you want a good app donate to some hard working coder somewhere through paypal link.

What i find funny though is in my office 1 guy has sent an iphone back to apple twice and the other guy has sent his bakc twice then got it replaced with a 3G later, sent the 3G back and got a replacement when that screwed up and now has bought a 3GS and is ebaying his 3G.

No Problems with iPhone lol..........funny as.

Dont believe the hype surroundling anything. :D

Edited by ^nighthawk^

Guest forelli
I havent read the whole load of posts on this.

But the Omnia has a steeper learning curve to get it to work at its full potential.

Let me get one thing straight tho.

I HATE iTunes,

Dont believe the hype surroundling anything. ;)

+1

Guest StarVision

iPhone got so many issue on its quality. It exploded itself, it burns itself , it releases poisoned gas etc...and iPhone jusz famouse for itz brand. Itz not that DIYable campare to Windwos Mobile. More importantly , itz price is really ridiculous~

Guest Yunabeco

I currently have an iPhone 3G in the hands, took it from a friend for repairs (done now, a ribbon cable wasn't properly plugged in), and I can say it's a pretty neat piece of technology.

The good:

-Slick and fast interface.

-(Relatively) easy to use

-(With jailbreak) Repositories. Seriously.

-(With jailbreak) Sheer number of free apps and games. Or rather, sheer number of good free apps and games.

-Music player

-3.5 MM JACK AAAAAH

The bad:

-The crap you have to go through to jailbreak and unlock it. I don't mean the work of the dev team, I mean what Apple did to its own product.

-Camera. Low resolution, no video.

-No bluetooth transfers, GPSes and the like; Bluetooth can only be used for audio devices.

-Can't send MMS (but can receive them).

-Limited settings for limited operators (for instance, you have to hack your way through if you want the data connection to use a proxy).

-No multitasking.

-No memory card slots.

I won't cite the capacitive screen here since it has both advantages and disadvantages. I do prefer a capacitive screen however. I would say the iPhone is a phone for your average Joe that doesn't have any friends (no transfers) if it wasn't so overpriced. Jailbreaking and unlocking make it a good phone, and I can't say it's a bad phone; hey, at least, it can call.

I still wouldn't call it a fully-featured pocket assistant by today's standards with its default options; at most, it's a glorified iPod with a SIM card slot.

I can certify you however that there isn't a player as good as the iPhone's iPod software. Kinoma Play, HTC Audio Manager, Pocket Player, MortPlayer, CorePlayer; None is as swift and efficient as the iPod and its iTunes library sync system (though I hate iTunes with a passion, but there are alternatives; and the iPod's functions are rather limited), mainly because each and every one of them insists on either wading through each damn file I have from the device (not really funny when you have 10 GB of music), wasting my battery and listening time, and various annoying issues such as reading wrong tags, not supporting Unicode, adding their own files with mine, crappy decoding resulting in crappy sound quality, or all of the above. All this added with WM 6.1/6.5 overall flakiness. Well, that and the Samsung Omnia's audio quality plainly sucks when plugging headphones into its "audio jack".

If you have an Omnia, taking an iPhone would not be very wise because of its limitations. I personally use an iPod nano for music, and my i900 for just about everything else, besides making coffee.

Guest ^nighthawk^
I can certify you however that there isn't a player as good as the iPhone's iPod software. Kinoma Play, HTC Audio Manager, Pocket Player, MortPlayer, CorePlayer; None is as swift and efficient as the iPod and its iTunes library sync system (though I hate iTunes with a passion, but there are alternatives; and the iPod's functions are rather limited), mainly because each and every one of them insists on either wading through each damn file I have from the device (not really funny when you have 10 GB of music), wasting my battery and listening time, and various annoying issues such as reading wrong tags, not supporting Unicode, adding their own files with mine, crappy decoding resulting in crappy sound quality, or all of the above. All this added with WM 6.1/6.5 overall flakiness. Well, that and the Samsung Omnia's audio quality plainly sucks when plugging headphones into its "audio jack".

If you have an Omnia, taking an iPhone would not be very wise because of its limitations. I personally use an iPod nano for music, and my i900 for just about everything else, besides making coffee.

I'm a bit of an audio geek actually, i've tried some of the sound enchancement stuff available on the forums for the Omnia.

But i mainly get very good sound quality from my Omnia purely for 2 reasons.

1) I encode my portable media to AuToV ogg (great quality at low bitrates!) or occasionally very high bitrate mp3 from FLAC (my collection is in flac + some mp3 therefore if i want songs on my player i just encode and then have it sent to the device using f00bar ;) )

2) I have an FM transmitter for when i am in my car and this transmits to my rather decent headunit + speakers :D

The actual stock audio is quite poor, but some of the enhancement software seems to make a world of difference.

Back on topic, yes jailbroken the iphone is nice...but i still hate itunes and I wouldn not buy an iphone now anyway due to all the problems and the price comparative to the Omnia.

Maybe i'm a bit more willing to mess with stuff than some i guess.

Edited by ^nighthawk^

Guest bleteq

This conversation reminds me of the old battle between Linux (Omnia) and Windows (iPhone) users ;)

Linux/Omnia is more functional while Windows (iPhone) looks better.

I use Omnia as a GPS in my car, thats why I didnt buy an iPhone, but still WM is a shite do-not-touch-me-with-your-bloody-fat-fingers interface.

I am looking forward to see Android fully working on Omnia (or hopefully WM7 would be an advantage).

Edited by bleteq

Guest La Traviata

I originally wanted an iPhone. I love the UI and screen, it has many cool apps and accessories (e.g. iPhone dock) and it supports Japanese. But some things really bothered me (some have since been addressed with the 3G S, some haven't):

* poor camera

* memory not expandable/no SD slot

* battery not removable so can't carry spare

* no copy/paste

* no bluetooth transfer

* can't edit Word, Excel, Power Point

* MMS limited

* phone and tariff overly expensive

* can't use as modem

* tied to iTunes and other pre-approved apps

and so I got an Omnia instead. The Omnia also has issues (especially the small internal memory) but by tweaking and downloading apps you can correct or at least disguise most of them. You shouldn't HAVE to do that, I think a phone should be as user friendly, functional and stylish as possible straight out of the box, but at least you CAN. Try to tweak a 2mp camera into 5mp.

Edited by La Traviata

Guest epdm
I own both..and iphone isn't all that bad with a jail break, but i don't use it at all. Why? Because you can't change the f***ing - non multi tasking - interface at all. I have to have in my possession, a gadget i can tweak and totally change the interface and appearance every two months...If i don't own a device like that, i have to buy a new one because i get completely sick of the last one when there is nothing new to discover. The more bugs there are in the beginning the more I am happy if stuff is upgradeable, changeable and repairable. That's why i stick to microsoft and pc/pocket pc in combination with good hardware (yes omnia has excelent hardware too)...Oh and also the price tags.

(I bet a lot of people here operate the same way and if you're not one of them, then stick to the iphone)

The weird thing about iPhone is this:

IPhone OS is suposedly based on Mac OSX which in turn is running on a BSD Unix kernel. (BSD) Unix is known to be an excellent multi-tasking, multiuser operating system and yet the iPhone has NO multitasking capability. This let me wonder.

Needless to say that IF Apple would re-consider multitasking on iPhone it shouldn't be a problem to re-integrate it into the OS because Unix is inherently a multitasking OS. Unless Apple is lying and iPhone OS is NOT based on OSX (but based largely on Mac OS Classic).

Anyway. HW-wise it shouldn't matter which OS your device is running. The real interesting point is this. All current smartphones are build around the same or similar specs (ARM cpu, Qualcomm-phone IC's etc...). So basicly it should be possible to run iPhone OS on Omnia and vice-versa. Unfortunatly there's only one Smartphone OS targetted to be open source and therefore portable across many devices. Yeps, Android OS. This OS could be ran on both iPhone and Omnia... then we could really compare devices.

I think we should start to investigate/support Android OS on Omnia (or any other device for that matter). This is more important than bikkering about: my iPhone is better than your xxx (fill in what you like)! Because it's clear that iPhone too has its share of tech-savvy users (otherwise they wouldn't have "jailbreaked" it so quickly, right?)

The other day I saw a HTC Magic in the store and played with it for awhile. I must say it is very responsive. Though it's hw-specs come nowhere near those o/t Omnia. Again it's OS looked great. It's clear that Android OS has some real potential. So I really look forward to see a fully working Android for Omnia. Especially since it's clear that Samsung WON'T let us have an official WM6.5 upgrade.

BTW: Wasn't there supposed to be an Open Source Symbian OS? Has anyone ever thought about porting THAT to the Omnia? I mean the Omnia isn't that much different from the Samsung 8910 or Nokia 5800 (ARM cpu, Qualcom phone chip etc...).

Oh.. BTW Iphone DOES have Wi-fi.

Cheers

Edited by epdm

Guest La Traviata
Oh.. BTW Iphone DOES have Wi-fi.

Cheers

Yes, but tethering has only become officially available with iPhone 3G S (and some SPs charge extra for it).

Edited by La Traviata

Try taking a video and sending it to your mate who has an iPhone. You can't Bluetooth it to him, you can't MMS it to him because it delivers an error when he tries to open it.

So you have to email it to him, and he has to wait until he gets home to download it to his PC, then he attempts to download it to his phone via iTunes, but iTunes attempts to "update" his firmware at the same time with the official UK version, but it can't do that because he bought the phone new and boxed in South East Asia from an official distributor and it doesn't like the new UK firmware.

So the iPhone throws a tantrum, gets annoyed and decides to switch off, and won't come back on until said friend returns to the place he bought it 4000 miles away to have it repaired (a period of 6 months after the phone became annoyed and didn't love him anymore) - UK firms wouldn't repair it because it was a non o2 version.

All this because he couldn't receive a video via Bluetooth. All this for a phone that can pretend to be a Zippo, or a pint of Carling. As nice as the apps are, I'd rather have the option of using a grown up phone, and can use it while I'm lighting a cigarette with a real Zippo, while drinking a real pint of Carling!!!

"Omnia owners are born not manufactured, we do not choose we are chosen, those who understand do not need explanation, those who don't understand do not matter."

Ok, ok, ok I borrowed it from somewhere else, but it works for me! ;)

Guest SoupAssassin

I love my Omnia now, but I'm a very tech savvy person. When I first got my Omnia I was underwhelmed, it seemed slow and the GPS didnt work, but I wasnt unhappy because I knew I could change that. Hours of scouring the internet for apps and some new ROMS later I had a phone that fully satisfied me. Lately however the phone has been more than satisfying, it is amazing. After switching from the beta i910 rom (CC20) to bgill55's v3.1 rom my mind was blown. Everything runs SO fast and smooth now, GPS works flawlessly, and WM6.5 is actually very pretty and intuitive if you tweak it right. As far as performance, a well configured Omnia is probably the fastest, sleekest, and most responsive WinMo device on the market to date. No, disregard that, probably one of the fastest sleekest phones on the market, period.

As far as a lack of apps are you kidding me? Windows Mobile is the most supported and developed for phone OS on the market. There are literally millions of apps available, some free some pay. Some are crappy, some are amazing. Trial and error is the only way to find out but its no different than the iphone app store, which is cluttered to an absurd degree with really crappy apps and cheap knockoff copies of those crappy apps.

And I dont see your problem with the camera, as it is regarded by reviewers as the phones huge 1up over most all other smartphones. I am still constantly shocked by how well the camera works (the pictures look...well...really good). Granted you have to remember that despite its 5 mega pixels its still a tiny little sensor and you cant expect it to compete with a professional camera. For what its worth, the Omnia picture and video capabilities kick the crap out of even the iphone 3GS, with crisper video and much better picture quality.

IMO, the omnia's biggest flaws are lack of 3.5mm headphone jack, and the really gay (no offense to gay people, but even you have to admit it is really....girly) lipstick stylus thing samsung expects me to put on my keychain (I just got use to using my fingers pretty easily though, and sad as it sounds I always leave the right edge of the nail on my finger just long enough to be able to make precision selections without a problem). I can tell you, my Omnia makes my iphone friends green with envy, anything they can do I can do better.

As a knowledgeable person on technology, and as a power user that has seen many a phone it is safe to say your complaints are unfounded and I have to chalk it up as you are just too stupid to use Windows Mobile. I don't mean to be harsh, but there isn't a person in the world who knows what they are talking about who would disagree with me on that. As others said if you want an iphone, go buy one and enjoy your hipster friends swooning over it, little as they too I'm sure know. Whenever my friends ask me if they should buy a windows mobile device or an iphone I ask them one simple question; "Are you an adult or a child?" Because honestly, thats the core difference for me. I'm not saying the iphone isnt capable, I'm saying most people use it to make fart noises, pour fake beer, and do other stupid pointless things only a child would be excited about. For example look at the boob jiggling app that EVERYONE has; dont get me wrong theres few things in life I love more than watching boobs do their thing, but I mean....how sad. My message to iphone users; look UP at the world not DOWN at your phone, the world is full of beer and boobs you dont need your iphone to get them.

Btw you want a crappy, buggy phone? Go buy a blackberry storm. I cried when the screen on my storm shattered, not because I was sad it broke, but because I was happy I had a good reason to get rid of that useless piece of crap.

Edited by SoupAssassin