How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest FutureDirt
am soooo jealous ... does anyone know of a company which will replace the touch screen? I sooo want this but dont trust myself ...

I just know there will be an "ohnosecond" and I'll screw up.

GG

Dood.... i was also extremely wary fitting the new screen myself.

But... after doing it once... i would have no problem doing it again and again.

The only extra tool i would recommend that you have, to compliment the screw driver and plastic lifting tool the kit comes with, is a pair of tweazers.

In fact... it was so simple.... i have now ditched my screen protectors and ordered another replacement screen in case i scratch this one!

Edited by FutureDirt

Guest GodsGift
Dood.... i was also extremely wary fitting the new screen myself.

But... after doing it once... i would have no problem doing it again and again.

The only extra tool i would recommend that you have, to compliment the screw driver and plastic lifting tool the kit comes with, is a pair of tweazers.

In fact... it was so simple.... i have now ditched my screen protectors and ordered another replacement screen in case i scratch this one!

damn, I'm gonna have to make the leap of faith i think. How can i ensure I get a nice sensitive touch screen ...

GG

Guest mementomori

well not to temper your enthousiasme...

i bought the wholesale andy vesion.. Did the swap.. used the manual and was quite proud that everything worked out. BUT... when i turn on the phone no view... so i read this with more people so i soft resetted... no IMAGE ...DAAMN .. i worked so carefully and now my omnia is wrecked.. either the lcd or the mainboard.. i hate it.. anyways i went to vodafone and they orderd a new lcd.. so i hope the dont make to much fuss about the black sticker that i removed with the imei.. i put it back but you can see it has been tempered with..

im not happy at all ;-(

does anyone have any tips? i tried the dis/assembly several times..

The only problem was the glue betweed the lcd and the touch digitizer.. the rest was not that hard.. but i guess i damaged something?

Guest GodsGift

The only problem was the glue betweed the lcd and the touch digitizer.. the rest was not that hard.. but i guess i damaged something?

ouch ... now this is why I asked if there is a company which does this ....

GG

Guest mementomori
ouch ... now this is why I asked if there is a company which does this ....

GG

well i guess phone repair shops will do it for money. Maybe my vodaphone servicedesk will also do it.. anyway first priority is to get it working again.. im not to keen on asking them to change the digitizer so they know what i did.

anither thing that had me worried.. when opening i noticed (bought the omnia september 2008) that the digitizer is exactly the same (even serial) witch lead me to believe that its actuallly the same one? i hope not.. its one thing to f.u. your omnia.. but for no reason is even more anoying

Guest mrdeadlock

rigor.m,

Do you know if that diagnostics menu is in the i910? I tried what you said, and couldn't figure out how to bring it up. Thanks for any help.

I'm seriously considering, just TRYING a new screen. My touch sensitivity doesn't seem to be anywhere near as efficient as those videos. Maybe i'll hunt for the registry hacks/screen tweaks first.

So undecided..:-(

Guest sector
rigor.m,

Do you know if that diagnostics menu is in the i910? I tried what you said, and couldn't figure out how to bring it up. Thanks for any help.

I'm seriously considering, just TRYING a new screen. My touch sensitivity doesn't seem to be anywhere near as efficient as those videos. Maybe i'll hunt for the registry hacks/screen tweaks first.

So undecided..:-(

buy the screen. trust me as a rom cooker i tried all possible tweaks for sens. nothing is more realistic than to change the screen.

Guest mrdeadlock

Hi sector,

I was actually just looking over some of your work at howardforums. LoL. Small world eh? I'll probably break down and buy the screen. Just have a vacation coming up, the girlfriend will kill me if I buy anything else right now. I'm also hoping by time I come back. V4 of wozzer's 6.5 rom is out...maybe even v5. So I can just revamp my phone all at once. It would be awesome, if we could contact a ebay seller, and see if all of there screens are from like the same batch...sorta do some leg work. Condense down who's gotten good screens and from where/who? I want to make sure I get a new one.

Thanks,

mrdeadlock

Guest sector
Hi sector,

I was actually just looking over some of your work at howardforums. LoL. Small world eh? I'll probably break down and buy the screen. Just have a vacation coming up, the girlfriend will kill me if I buy anything else right now. I'm also hoping by time I come back. V4 of wozzer's 6.5 rom is out...maybe even v5. So I can just revamp my phone all at once. It would be awesome, if we could contact a ebay seller, and see if all of there screens are from like the same batch...sorta do some leg work. Condense down who's gotten good screens and from where/who? I want to make sure I get a new one.

Thanks,

mrdeadlock

im not in howardforums or posted anything there. can i have a link please?

Guest mrdeadlock

The sector there appears to be a old account from 2004. I guess I just misread my tabs. Must have been something from this forum. I do apologize, didn't mean to get your alarms going....Hmmm, damn tabbed browsers. I blame having so many phone forums to keep up with!

My Apologies,

Mrdeadlock

Guest FutureDirt

i bought the wholesale andy vesion.. Did the swap.. used the manual and was quite proud that everything worked out. BUT... when i turn on the phone no view... so i read this with more people so i soft resetted... no IMAGE ...DAAMN .. i worked so carefully and now my omnia is wrecked.. either the lcd or the mainboard.. i hate it.. anyways i went to vodafone and they orderd a new lcd.. so i hope the dont make to much fuss about the black sticker that i removed with the imei.. i put it back but you can see it has been tempered with..

im not happy at all ;-(

That sucks dood...

Only thing i can suggest is that you check all the connections, but i know that you will have already done this :-(

Guest myoder020

im not happy at all ;-(

I had this problem too, turns out one of the cables I thought I had plugged in wasn't all the way in.

Pic of Cable

That's the one I was having trouble with, have to make sure its all the way to the white line.

Guest minimi

Bought my digitizer from wholesaleandy, received it today and WOW its almost like a new phone.

Before my phone had ""ok"" touch sensitivity on the edges but almost none in the middle of the screen.

I was so surprised how simple it was to change the touch panel.

Most important is just take your time and don't use any force. I tried to combine this link and the service manual.

The only hard part was separating the screen and the touch panel. I used the tool provided to slide it around the panel.

Put it together took no time at all (and now the annoying click sound from my right button is gone)

Guest Dobbs

Just ordered my new screen from Wholesaleandy, will let you guys know how it goes when I get it. I emailed him to ask what colour the screen was, it is silver. Would have liked a black one but not to worry, as long as it solves the sensitivity problems I'll be very happy.

On a side note, I've just flashed my phone with my first cooked rom yesterday, it is Shokka's latest WM6.5 rom with M2D built in, it is absolutely superb, my phone has never felt so reponsive, just need my new screen now and it will be like having a new phone.

Guest rammy121
I just rang Samsung UK and had a 10 minute argument with a girl who insisted it is designed to be used with the stylus. I pointed out this site: http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/ and the fact that the 'touch' section clearly highlights that it is designed for the finger but she was slightly stupid I think. In the end she said if I wanted to send it for repair they would look at it but if it works with the stylus it's unlikely to be repaired and i'll be without my phone for at least 2 weeks!

Didn't exactly fill me with confidence or leave me with a favourable view of Samsung! Looks like it's do it myself or put up with it as is!

..sounds like thes same person i spoke to when i rang about the usb cable..."it's made to synch. only, not for charging!",she said she'd test her omnia. still waiting for her call back, months later, i guess she's still waiting for it "trickle" charge. samsung=chocolate tea pot! and i was warned about them from s.e. asian friends who have a lot experience with samsung. oh well we live and learn, counting the days to get rid if it.

Guest rammy121
Why in the world would you want to buy another omnia? did you not have enough issues with the first one? <_< All the phones i've owed before this Omnia were HTC. I though this omnia would be a good investment because of all the things it comes with. However NO 3g for 850-1900, it only supports 2100 band. Screen sucks ass, for the first 3 seconds, the ringtone is so low that you cant even hear it if it is in your pocket and by the timeyou hear it and pick up your phone, you miss the call. For using GPS you have to download some next 3rd party gay software, which uses more ram to run TOM TOM. Moreover, the screen resolution is so stupid that half of the windows mobile phones dont even work. Trust me, its an idiotic idea to buy another samsung omnia. Buy an HTC, which dont have any of these retarted issues and oh guess what, ALL of them have twice as better touch response. Samsung makes shitty devices, they should not have entered the windows mobile market. I've been using an omnia from the first month it came out, my suggestion is that you dont buy this ever again. Like I said, I am not new to the touch screen phones and so far this is the shittiest piece of touch screen phone i've ever used.

AGREED, once bitten twice shy, ss-stick to t.v.s

Guest rammy121
aye, I brought mine down to Carphone Warehouse last thursday evening and they fixed it for me within 2 working days (actually 3 cos it took them 1 extra working day to deliver my phone)

I rang up Samsung and the lady on the phone gave me the same old bollocks that the phone "is not" designed for finger pressing. So I absolutely battered her by stating the facts that when I bought the phone at Phones4U, the sales clearly said the phone is finger friendly and furthermore on the Samsung Mobile website, it clearly says Omnia is designed for the fingers. I also said to her that because she changed one of the features of the phone (finger friendly to non- finger friendly) during our conversation, which constitutes a lie from Samsung UK, I reserve the right to sue Samsung and her personally (LOL! I still can't believe that she actually believed that I have the bargaining chips, the financial strength and the fuss to sue Samsung and her, what an idiot!!!). She got scared and ended up referring me to a Carphone Warehouse Express repair centre and they just changed it for me (that's probably because the proof of purchase I showed them is a Phones4U's contract and they wanna lure me away from Phones4U).

ta

W K D !!! Victory to you!!

Guest mementomori
I had this problem too, turns out one of the cables I thought I had plugged in wasn't all the way in.

Pic of Cable

That's the one I was having trouble with, have to make sure its all the way to the white line.

tnx man, i did check this specific cable since i thought it was the one causing troubles. I will try again!! (i have to wait anyway since the servicecentre had to order a n new screen)

i do appreciate your effort

Guest mementomori
That sucks dood...

Only thing i can suggest is that you check all the connections, but i know that you will have already done this :-(

yeah men it really does, but i will check m again.. (already did it 4 times;-)

well at least i know every part of the omnia..btw did anyone remove the black sticker where the imeinmb is on? the cable of thhe camera runs under it. Looking back i dont think you need remove it, since you probably can leave the camera in the phone?

any suggestions? i just followed all the dissasembly steps but im not sure

Guest Gibeon

I just got the black one from Wholesalesandy, will install it later today ^^

Cant get the camera separated...

Edited by Gibeon

Guest jared16
tnx man, i did check this specific cable since i thought it was the one causing troubles. I will try again!! (i have to wait anyway since the servicecentre had to order a n new screen)

i do appreciate your effort

Hi Mementomori,

I had the same problem that you did. If you see the pic that was posted previously. You can see that the tweasers are lifting the black side (opposite the cable) of the connector up. This will allow the cable to be inserted all the way in. Then the black peace should be pushed down to lock the cable in place. Initially, I didn't lift the black side of the connector up and the cable was not getting locked down hard enough to make good contact. I hope this solves your problem!

Guest jared16

Hey everyone, great forum topic!

I bought the i910 back in Dec 08. The screen would barely work using the tip of my finger but worked well with my finger nail.

After replacing the digitizer, I can now use the tip of my finger and it works VERY well. I highly recommend this if you need to use your

finger nail.

Things to point out would be:

1) After removing the 4 screws and lifting the edge of the casing. I still found it hard to separate the back of the case. It was being held

near the micro sd card. I had to wiggle the back of the case up toward the camera to get it to release.

2) Be very careful about dust getting between the digitizer and the LCD. I can see a few dots when the LCD is white!!!

I purchased the black digitizer from ebay user bestbuy.99

It came within 5 days from Hong Kong and was less than $24 including shipping.

Guest Gibeon
Things to point out would be:

1) After removing the 4 screws and lifting the edge of the casing. I still found it hard to separate the back of the case. It was being held

near the micro sd card. I had to wiggle the back of the case up toward the camera to get it to release.

2) Be very careful about dust getting between the digitizer and the LCD. I can see a few dots when the LCD is white!!!

Indeed, same here. But it works like a charm!

Now, NailCal is finally ThumbCal! It just really works with the pressure of your thumb, love it!