How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest lorin.bute

Reporting after a month.

My digitizer didn't lose any of its sensitivity. Its like when i changed it. Remember that mine was changed at a phone service and i believe its an official digitizer from Samsung (i have the 8GB sign on it).

Guest Rednose5
I already answered this question one page back

Also, vodaphone omnia will only have the vodaphone logo and not the GB. Proof:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/294386..._8d2342cf60.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/vodafon...efit/omnia7.jpg

Ok, that means that my Vodafone Omnia from september 2008 already had the "new and senstitive" digitizer!? ;)

It is branded but also one of the first Vodafone sold in the Netherlands. And yes I never had problems with sensitivity. :angry:

But this would also mean I'm just a lucky bastard and the theory about new digitizers being used from 2009 and furhter is perhaps not totally true ? :D

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
I lost one of my omnia's screw (the 4 screws in the conners when we first open battery cover). Anyone has an extra one, or knows where I can buy one?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks

RLMAO, you are very clumsy and forgetful huh :D . It could be in "bun rieu oc" bowl, lol.

how would i know if my screen is the old one or the new one?

Would love to know the same.

I'm going to try and contact Verizon (i910 here :D) and see what they have to say about a touch screen upgrade. I'd prefer to go in, pay $50, and be done with it. ;D

Has anyone been able to find a seller with official digitizers? I ask because I believe I have one of the newer ones, but need to replace it because of scratching. I don't really want to pay for decreased sensitivity in a month or so.

Guest Zealster
Has anyone been able to find a seller with official digitizers? I ask because I believe I have one of the newer ones, but need to replace it because of scratching. I don't really want to pay for decreased sensitivity in a month or so.

I will let you know of my experience after installation and continued use. I just bought some random one. It said "official samsung digitizer" so I figured for $20 why not. Anyways, hopefully I'll get it Wednesday on my day off!

Installed my new digitizer and all is fine.

No more scratched screen!!

EDIT: I purchased my Omnia in November 2008 and one noticeable annoyance I experienced no matter what ROM, or registry tweak: With the 'phone' application open, the only way I could input numbers was with my finger nail. Now it is very finger-friendly. I never thought I had any problems with sensitivity at all before, but I am really quite surprised now at what a difference it has made. Went from grey to darker/black digitizer.

Edited by nollie

Guest Zealster
Installed my new digitizer and all is fine.

No more scratched screen!!

EDIT: I purchased my Omnia in November 2008 and one noticeable annoyance I experienced no matter what ROM, or registry tweak: With the 'phone' application open, the only way I could input numbers was with my finger nail. Now it is very finger-friendly. I never thought I had any problems with sensitivity at all before, but I am really quite surprised now at what a difference it has made. Went from grey to darker/black digitizer.

Was it really hard to install? Any tips/tricks? Also, please let us know in about a month if the digitizer starts to get less sensitive. If not, I'll totally buy from the place you bought.

I used this guide. In the guide, before taking the metal frame off, it left out that you should remove 2 more screws which are obviously seen.

I'd say it wasn't hard, just time consuming, though I have never attempted anything similar before.

Patience I'd say is the main thing here. Took me about half an hour from start to finish. Make sure you buy a digitizer with all the tools you need.

Note - on the stage where you reach this part -

omnia5.jpg

The connector on the right is simply pull off, though the one on the left the grey part of the connector can flip up, as it acts as a grip to the cable.

Also the power/main menu buttons of main came off/loose (easily put back) when I took the main casing off. Just be patient, take your time and make sure you follow each step closely.

Guest Rednose5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=390044197311

This is the digitizer I ordered. I'll let everyone know my experience after installation and everything. Still hoping I can get everything disassembled and then reassembled..

I'm sorry to say this is not original, I've contacted the seller earlier and he stated it was compatible with samsung omnia.

Here is his answer:

"We are sorry to inform you that this item is not the genuine part.

All of our products are OEM wihch is made by the third party.

We promise all products are totally brand new and all parts are 100% guaranteed for quality.

So you don't have to worry about the quality."

Just hope it works fine, then who needs to worry about originality of a touch screen.

For anyone who is still in doubt about new, more sensitive touchscreens like I was.

I've just bought another Omnia the other day which the owner thought was broken (touchscreen was defect due to rain). I tweaked around with it for a while and the touchscreen started to work again :) .

My own omnia is from september 2008 and this "new" one from Februari this year. Trust me it's f.... unbelievable how fast this touchscreen is responding and I didn't think my omnia had a problem :) .

Anyway, I bought this second omnia for trying out a new touch with a replacement and compare it with mine. Now I will need two touchscreen as the previous owner was not very careful and the screen has a few scrathes. Replacing mine with the new one is not an option, mine is bronze (sold as black!?) and the other one was black with scrathces so I scratched of the rest of the paint and now it's chrome/silver :) . Now it really looks like an Iphone.

Funny thing, I would have thought black would be a base plastic colour. Samsung appearently paints the cover after it has a chrome/silver finish :)

Guest Zealster

It took me a little longer (about an hour and a half). I had trouble disconnecting the motherboard cables. For future reference: the far right cable has a black part that is a latch. It just comes up and releases the whole cable.

My new digitizer is awesome though! I hope it stays like this forever! <3

Guest Diablo0o

So did anyone find the perfect ebay seller for this item so far? Whose touch screen sensitivity haven't changed after they replaced it with a new one and where did you buy it. Thank you for the info. I think there should be a summary for this thread from where we're adviced to buy it if we want a quality replacemnt.

Well, I've stepped into it and bought one from wholesaleandy. Came today and it was boxed up with bubble wrap on the digitizer and the tools (one screw driver and one plastic prying tool). Bought the bronze version with no markings (8/16GB or provider) at all. It's confirm better than my current one which i bought in august 2008.

Dun need fingernails now although not as good as my old iphone but definitely better than stock. i luv it.

Just hope it will last..... then again it's pretty cheap.

Guest disciplined

VZW I910 Owner:

Well I got so fed up with my screen that I went and ordered a new digitizer. It was getting harder and harder to hit the close button in the upper right hand corner, plus the screen was always slightly out of alignment no matter what I did.

Here are the three U.S. sellers I found from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Omnia-LCD-Glas...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Touch-Screen-FOR-Samsu...id=p3911.c0.m14

I think the last two are the same person. I bought mine from "hi-etech" because I live in NY and I want it NOW. Everywhere I looked either did not mention that the screen was ok for i910 or specifically said not for cmda (verizon). Oh well! Since it seems no one has answered the pleas of my fellow i910 owners I will be the guinea pig. I have blown $13 on worse things. Plus its comparable to replacing an invisible shield! I have taken great care of my screen but its over 2 years old now so its time anyway. The only concern I have is if Verizon will give me hell for not having a branded phone.

It should ship tomorrow and arrive in a day or two (I'm only a couple of hours away). I'll let you guys know how it goes. For the i910 owners thinking of trying, stay tuned. If any other i910 owner has already tried, speak up!

Guest str8tripin
VZW I910 Owner:

Well I got so fed up with my screen that I went and ordered a new digitizer. It was getting harder and harder to hit the close button in the upper right hand corner, plus the screen was always slightly out of alignment no matter what I did.

Here are the three U.S. sellers I found from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Omnia-LCD-Glas...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Touch-Screen-FOR-Samsu...id=p3911.c0.m14

I think the last two are the same person. I bought mine from "hi-etech" because I live in NY and I want it NOW. Everywhere I looked either did not mention that the screen was ok for i910 or specifically said not for cmda (verizon). Oh well! Since it seems no one has answered the pleas of my fellow i910 owners I will be the guinea pig. I have blown $13 on worse things. Plus its comparable to replacing an invisible shield! I have taken great care of my screen but its over 2 years old now so its time anyway. The only concern I have is if Verizon will give me hell for not having a branded phone.

It should ship tomorrow and arrive in a day or two (I'm only a couple of hours away). I'll let you guys know how it goes. For the i910 owners thinking of trying, stay tuned. If any other i910 owner has already tried, speak up!

http://www.samsung-omnia.org/how-to/i910-d...eplacement/msg/

Just some info for ya.... This guy replaced his i910 screen with one that said it was compatible but when you look at the compatiblity listing on his ebay add it says i900-i908 just like the rest of them. Seems to have worked out for him in the end though. Some good pointers about the differences in the i900 vs. the i910 that he explains though.

I'm gonna go ahead and order one of these touchscreens... My dog decided my phone looked like a good chew toy... no damage to the phone itself, just the touch screen and battery cover. I haven't had to many issues with it other than almost a quarter of the screen not recognizing a touch... which is slightly aggrevating to say the least. My last flash to the new CF03 rom sorta did it in and requires that whole screen calibration thing.... and it won't do it.... o well I'll post and let everyone know how it goes.

Guest eufouria

A couple i910 users on here, myself included, have already replaced their digitizers. The process is very similar to the i900 dismantling but as it has been stated on here before, chances are your new touch screen from eBay will only function properly for the first month or so and then begin losing sensitivity quickly.

*Unless the touchscreen has an 8 or 16gb icon in the corner, which seems to be the calling card of a Samsung original.

Edited by eufouria

Guest disciplined
http://www.samsung-omnia.org/how-to/i910-d...eplacement/msg/

Just some info for ya.... This guy replaced his i910 screen with one that said it was compatible but when you look at the compatiblity listing on his ebay add it says i900-i908 just like the rest of them. Seems to have worked out for him in the end though. Some good pointers about the differences in the i900 vs. the i910 that he explains though.

I'm gonna go ahead and order one of these touchscreens... My dog decided my phone looked like a good chew toy... no damage to the phone itself, just the touch screen and battery cover. I haven't had to many issues with it other than almost a quarter of the screen not recognizing a touch... which is slightly aggrevating to say the least. My last flash to the new CF03 rom sorta did it in and requires that whole screen calibration thing.... and it won't do it.... o well I'll post and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks that was very helpful! Gona try it when I get the chance. I wonder if there is any difference between the US and HK screens. Probably not.

A couple i910 users on here, myself included, have already replaced their digitizers. The process is very similar to the i900 dismantling but as it has been stated on here before, chances are your new touch screen from eBay will only function properly for the first month or so and then begin losing sensitivity quickly.

*Unless the touchscreen has an 8 or 16gb icon in the corner, which seems to be the calling card of a Samsung original.

So did anyone find the perfect ebay seller for this item so far? Whose touch screen sensitivity haven't changed after they replaced it with a new one and where did you buy it. Thank you for the info. I think there should be a summary for this thread from where we're adviced to buy it if we want a quality replacemnt.

I agree with you; I had the same issue (bought mine from wholesaleandy from eBay -see link in 1st post-). I contacted wholesaleandy about the problem and he directly sent me another one; but I guess it'll the same.

I found this website selling the digitizer and it claims a 1-year warranty.

Edited by N_M_S

Ok I'm actually beginning to like this.. I ordered a full case and LCD from maxtel-ltd on ebay; now my phone looks like new and the screen is even more sensitive than the one from wholesaleandy - now I can honestly say is Iphone like, it responds to the lightest touch of the finger.

Of course by now screen changes take about 10 mins, as the first time the screen from maxtel had a flaw, i put the old one back , returned it , then put the replacement back :)

EDIT: OMG I can use the touchscreen with the touch of a folded piece of soft cloth ... awesome...

Edited by rigor.m