How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest scuba264

All I can say is wow. I've been somewhat skeptical and thought maybe I wou'dn't see much improvement by replacing my digitizer. I was totally wrong. I went from HAVING to use my nail for everything to now just a light brush of my finger! I'm so pumped, it went so smooth I couldn't be happier!

I've got the i910 bought in Feb 2009 and though it would have the best digitizer. Now I'm wondering if it had an old crappy one or if they just lose that much sensitivity over time. Its hard to remember what it was like when I first bought the thing.

If you have any doubts in your touch screen, definitely replace it.

Got mine here:

http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i910-omnia-digi...amp;language=en

Didn't come with any of the fancy tools, but they're not really necessary. I used a set of eyeglass screwdrivers and a guitar pick(I've found over years of ripping apart electronics that a guitar pick is one of the best tools around for safely separating pieces)

Start with page 37 of http://andromnia.net/pub/docs/SGH_i900_service_manual.pdf

And watch this:

And you're good to go! iPhone what???

Guest mar90

i just finished replacing my new digitizer.amazing.really a lot of improvement in terms of sensitivity.but after sticking a screen protector the sensitivity reduced a little.thinking of removing the protector. :)

Guest jbrittmartin
i'm just about to pull the trigger on the second one you listed as it looks exactly like my original one.

can someone confirm that this works well?

EDIT: i went ahead and bought one as i am fed up with my phone's poor sensitivity. i'll let ya know.

digitizer arrived from Hong Kong in less than a week. looks EXACTLY like my original Verizon digitizer.

install took about an hour... i moved very slow as i don't do this stuff often.

screen response is frickin awesome and no scratches. dialing a number quickly on the keypad is effortless.

booyah.

couldn't be happier as of right now.

EDIT: i will add one thing... i do have a VEERRRRRRRY slight bow up in the middle of the screen at the bottom now, like a millimeter or two right above the optical mouse button.... i wonder if i didn't get it put back together exactly right....

anybody else with the digitizer from the cnn.cn site having that issue?

it doesn't seem to affect anything though.

Edited by jbrittmartin

Guest scuba264
i will add one thing... i do have a VEERRRRRRRY slight bow up in the middle of the screen at the bottom now, like a millimeter or two right above the optical mouse button.... i wonder if i didn't get it put back together exactly right....

anybody else with the digitizer from the cnn.cn site having that issue?

it doesn't seem to affect anything though.

Mine is from cnn.cn and it is perfect. Exact color and perfect fit to my phone. I'd guess its hung up on something under there.

Guest EK273

I've just bought one from eBay again, from another store, and it works great! I replaced mine for the first time on March 2009, and it has loosed its sensitivity. The seller at the eBay whom his digitizer I have just bought said, that he bought the digitizer directly from the Samsung service centre, so, its sensitivity should be last longer. The other copied one, will loose its sensitivity faster.

So, all touch panel will just eventually looses it sensitivity over time?

Guest DaBlakKnite

Having a problem with the new digitizer. I replaced it with no problem. Now, the phone cuts on but the screen does not display anything. When powering up, the LCD backlight comes on for a couple of seconds then shuts off. The screen is completely black, but the power up and booting sounds continue as usual. Took it apart a couple of times to see if anything is loose. The only suspicious thing is the digitizer connection isn't locked in as tight as I would like. But, I've held it in place with most of the backing off, and I ran into the same no display issue.

I would like to get this to work. I love my Omnia. But if nothing works, it's not a big deal. The screen on the phone was almost unusable. Only the middle of the screen worked. I was ready to get another phone or go back to my 700w. 700w? That would be tough to go back to...

Guest EK273
Where did you buy your new digitizer? A link maybe ;)

Hi, I assumed that you were talking to me because your message appeared right after mine:)

I bought from this store http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/siansmobiles, unfortunately, the one I bought (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380210129470&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D380210129470%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1) has been marked as ended on Mar 27, 2010 09:58:17 GMT. I'm not sure what does it mean. Oh, BTW, it was only the touch panel, no screw driver and any other tools.

Guest MzOmnia

finnaly after using this phone more than a years i change this touchpad. i bring it to samsung service center and ask them to change it. since the warranty ended so i must pay around $40 to change to the new digitizer. anybody in indonesia who want to change it you can ask the samsung center, mine work great and now we could say its a touchscreen ;)

good luck 4 everybody trying to change the digitizer and thanks 4 this great info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gayan
Hi, I assumed that you were talking to me because your message appeared right after mine:)

I bought from this store http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/siansmobiles, unfortunately, the one I bought (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380210129470&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D380210129470%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1) has been marked as ended on Mar 27, 2010 09:58:17 GMT. I'm not sure what does it mean. Oh, BTW, it was only the touch panel, no screw driver and any other tools.

How is the Digitizer from this seller doing now ? is it the Genuine thing as the seller mentions ?

I'm just about to buy from him :huh:

Guest andyxl987
Having a problem with the new digitizer. I replaced it with no problem. Now, the phone cuts on but the screen does not display anything. When powering up, the LCD backlight comes on for a couple of seconds then shuts off. The screen is completely black, but the power up and booting sounds continue as usual.

I'm having the same problem does anyone know what may be wrong? The phone works fine (tested via a TV-Out cable and the new touchpanel and phone work as expected) except the display. If I press hard on the lower part of the displays connector then I get a display on the screen but obviously this is impossible to do without the phone taken apart.

The phone has previously had display problems which required a repair from a Samsung repair centre (apparently due to water damage) although that was sorted a long time ago. I have an HTC Desire now so it's not important I get the Omnia fixed ASAP although I would love to have it as a backup phone.

Guest Lac75
Could anyone tell me if switching the digitizer fixes the problem with the looping alignment screen?

Yes!

Untill you get the new one, you can fix it for temporary.

Make an empty file on the SD card's root with "welcome.not" name. After this modification, you don't get the alignment screen.

Edited by Lac75

Guest Cosmin mja

or you can use your mouse to control the phone( wm.6.1 required).

i changed the touchscreen on 2 omnia. mine was scratched and the other was with the alignment error. the screens feels perfect now and i can control both very easy.

Be carefull to put everything in order after open your case because my camera stopped working after a while(the connector was not properly inserted) and i changed a few ROMS until i figured that there is a hardware error.

(pentru steff195 - eu am luat de pe gsmnet din constanta, ecranele nu vin cu banda aia de izolat dar functioneaza perfect. Felicitari pentru rom-ul de wm6.5 ultimul pentru ca il folosesc de o saptamana si nu am intalnit prea multe erori. Alti useri nu m-au incantat pana acum)

Edited by Cosmin mja

Guest Spawn Freak

hey guys, please tell which is the best ebay store to buy the digitizer???

bcoz in my currency, $$$ are too costly and i dont wanna lose money for a shitty device

I changed the housing of my omnia, thinking about doing the screen too but after changing the housing I lost service in a lot of places T_T Idk what's wrong...help'?

Guest gorf1000
All I can say is wow. I've been somewhat skeptical and thought maybe I wou'dn't see much improvement by replacing my digitizer. I was totally wrong. I went from HAVING to use my nail for everything to now just a light brush of my finger! I'm so pumped, it went so smooth I couldn't be happier!

I've got the i910 bought in Feb 2009 and though it would have the best digitizer. Now I'm wondering if it had an old crappy one or if they just lose that much sensitivity over time. Its hard to remember what it was like when I first bought the thing.

If you have any doubts in your touch screen, definitely replace it.

Got mine here:

http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i910-omnia-digi...amp;language=en

Didn't come with any of the fancy tools, but they're not really necessary. I used a set of eyeglass screwdrivers and a guitar pick(I've found over years of ripping apart electronics that a guitar pick is one of the best tools around for safely separating pieces)

Start with page 37 of http://andromnia.net/pub/docs/SGH_i900_service_manual.pdf

And watch this:

And you're good to go! iPhone what???

Unfortunately my story is not quite as great. I got my new digitizer from cnn.com, took about 2-3 weeks for it to get to me. It looked great and was a perfect match for the old one.

It took me about an hour to do the switch because I was taking my time to make sure I did it right. Once I got the new digitizer in it only took about 5-10 minutes to put the phone back together then I powered it up. Everything came back on which made me very happy, but then I tried out the screen. I did notice that the screen response was significantly improved but the alignment was completely shot. I tried to align the screen and had absolutely no luck. The bottom and top of the screen seemed to respond fine but anything in the middle 3/4 of the screen was either way above or way below what I was aiming at.

I took the phone apart again and tried moving the cable in the connector, I did this a couple of times to no avail. On the upside I can now replace a digitizer in about 15 minutes total unfortunately I eventually had to just put my old one back in and I'll deal with the scratches until I can order a new one from eBay.

From the other comments on this thread it seems like I just got boned with a bad egg. I would consider ordering from them again but I think I'd like to get one from someone here in the states that I can deal with if I have another problem. Luckily I'm only out about 15 bucks. It's a shame, it looked really nice not having a scratched up screen but I'll have to just learn to deal with it again.

To those who want to try it I do recommend it, it's not very difficult at all. I didn't need any special tools, I just used a fine point phillips screwdriver, a pick to get under the sticky sheet and a guitar pick to separate pieces. The only thing to remember is that the i910 is slightly different than the instructions in the pdf. When you get to taking the front buttons off the silver bezel actually runs across under the connector so be really careful there.

Guest Lac75
I changed the housing of my omnia, thinking about doing the screen too but after changing the housing I lost service in a lot of places T_T Idk what's wrong...help'?

Download the pdf file from the first post, read page 18 (5-1).

Original hausing, in the middle part , QRE01 (ASSY CASE-REAR), on the bottom, there is 2 or 3 metal flan (metal stripes), do you have the same in the new house?

Friend of my, had the same problem, in the new (replacement) hausing, he didn't find those metal stripes.Take them out from the original hausing and put in the new one, if necessary use some quick glue.

Also check this part on your phone: QAN05.

Guest Hsy
Download the pdf file from the first post, read page 18 (5-1).

Original hausing, in the middle part , QRE01 (ASSY CASE-REAR), on the bottom, there is 2 or 3 metal flan (metal stripes), do you have the same in the new house?

Friend of my, had the same problem, in the new (replacement) hausing, he didn't find those metal stripes.Take them out from the original hausing and put in the new one, if necessary use some quick glue.

Also check this part on your phone: QAN05.

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I accidentally ripped half of the metal strip while trying to get it off my original :huh: oh well, I have service in some places so I guess its okay lol

Guest gman34
Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I accidentally ripped half of the metal strip while trying to get it off my original :huh: oh well, I have service in some places so I guess its okay lol

How hard is it to reconstruct the metal?

or just fabricate a new one.