New MDA Compact 4 user

Guest GordonGopher

Guest GordonGopher

Just received an MDA Compact 4 (with T-Mobile) as an upgrade, had a Vario2 before that. I seem to have a problem that the internet connection through the phone for mail and browsing/updating only seems to work when I have signal with an H icon. I can't get any data connection if there is a G icon on the top of the screen, is this a phone problem or a T-Mobile problem?

I'm in my seven day period so don't want to mess around with flashing the phone if I'm going to have to return it for repair or if I return it as not suitable as most of the time I don't have a good H type connection.

Thanks in advance,

Gopher

Guest moo_ski_doo

I can't claim to be an expert in data connections but this isn't a problem I've experienced with my Diamond on Orange (I've never tried on T-Mobile). Whether I have a GPRS or HSDPA signal I can still get a connection, GPRS is just a bit slower.

Sorry that doesn't help much; anyone else?

-Mark.

Guest Neil5459

It shouldn't happen with a new phone, but make sure the connection is set to Auto not WCDMA

Open the Phone Dialler screen then Menu/Options and look for the Band tab. Make sure both boxes are set to Auto, otherwise the phone will only be able to connect using whichever protocol is selected.

Guest andybarker

Should work fine on GPRS. I'm on T-Mobile and I have my Compact IV / Diamond set to 2G rather than 3G most of the time, as it uses less battery and I very rarely need the speed of the 3G.

Guest GordonGopher

Thanks for the replies - I think it's been resolved now as I got a text message linking me to T-Mobile's fixme service. Accepted that and all of sudden today in a GPRS signal it started checking for email!

Now I think I'll be keeping the Compact 4, like the size and inbuilt GPS, it's definitely an improvement on my previous Smartphones (Sony P800, Vario1, Vario2). Will have to try and find an idiots' guide to flashing the phone as I think I've only got ROM 1.37 - and would like to get the plain black TouchFlo3D theme that my othr half has got on her HTCTouch Pro (with Voda). Thanks for the replies.

Guest D8LOM

I'm glad you got that sorted, I was going to advice you to visit T-Mobile's website and download their internet connection setting as that always helps.

Guest Neil5459
Thanks for the replies - I think it's been resolved now as I got a text message linking me to T-Mobile's fixme service. Accepted that and all of sudden today in a GPRS signal it started checking for email!

Now I think I'll be keeping the Compact 4, like the size and inbuilt GPS, it's definitely an improvement on my previous Smartphones (Sony P800, Vario1, Vario2). Will have to try and find an idiots' guide to flashing the phone as I think I've only got ROM 1.37 - and would like to get the plain black TouchFlo3D theme that my othr half has got on her HTCTouch Pro (with Voda). Thanks for the replies.

There is no doubt that the ROM still being shipped with the Compact IV seriously underperforms. It is slow and prone to crashing, the GPS lock is poor and it uses more battery power than later versions.

Ireally don't know why T-Mobile continue to ship this ROM, as the have had the later 1.93 ROM since November, and they update warranty repair devices with this ROM, but don't haveit for download by other users.

Your problem will be that updating the ROM is not simple for inexperienced users (though it is fine if you follow the instructions to the letter); you will invalidate your warranty by changing the ROM, and there are no officially available ROM updates, so you would need to go to one of the 'modifying' sites B)

Guest andybarker

Take a look here for some info about flashing.