RetroSPV - Free SMS

Guest asif @ planus

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I've been testing it for the past half hour or so heh, and i can't get it to work. It may be that the rediect page _has_ to be on the server :/, i couldn't see anything on msdn about it though :/.

Sorry i couldn't be of any more help...

I've been testing it for the past half hour or so heh, and i can't get it to work.  It may be that the rediect page _has_ to be on the server :/, i couldn't see anything on msdn about it though :/.

I think it's more to do with the server side page and the way the URL is sent to the server than it is SPV-side.

If you create a page that refreshes to file:// something, it should work fine...

Guest ajb3000

ok guys, you will be pleased to hear I have got it working, and perfected the layout and everything (spent about 3 hours on it this evening), place these 2 files the the Storage Card root directory and run 'sms.htm' through ALL-Explorer (or create a shortcut to it). The only thing I really need to sort out now is the character limit. At the moment you can type unlimited characters, but I'm not sure what will happen if you type over 160.

SMS.zip

Guest HelloDave

You managed to get the redirect working? I would have thought that the line

input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="file://Storage Cardsent.htm"

would simply be taken by the server script and the value of "value" appended to the server's URL. For example, if you sent it the value above then your browser would try to go to "www.retrofone.info/spv/file://Storage Cardsent.htm", which obviously won't work. You can't fix that unless the server script is changed. The only solution I can think of is redirecting the page via javascript before the asp script does, but i'm not sure if pocket IE actually supports javascript?

Just my 2p... :)

[EDIT]Your download of the HTML files has appeared now and obviously you did get it working! I remember Netscape used to be very fussy about the formatting of file:/// links, especially the amount of /s you used!

ok guys, you will be pleased to hear I have got it working, and perfected the layout and everything (spent about 3 hours on it this evening), place these 2 files the the Storage Card root directory and run 'sms.htm' through ALL-Explorer (or create a shortcut to it).  The only thing I really need to sort out now is the character limit.  At the moment you can type unlimited characters, but I'm not sure what will happen if you type over 160.

You can limit the content of the box by adding "maxlength=160" to the input tag...

Guest ajb3000
You can limit the content of the box by adding "maxlength=160" to the input tag...

That doesn't seem to work for text boxes that take up more than 1 line, let me know if you can get this working.

The other thing now after the text limit is getting numbers from the address book, but I'm very doubtfull that this is possible through HTML.

Guest jaknife2000

Could you not do it the other way around, and add the html page in to the contacts webpage, and add a number= field into the html, then you could go into contacts, select there website, and it would load the page inserting there number into the number field ?

Rather than picking up from the contacts within the html file ?

You could of course, do a small modification to the sms.htm so that there is a small difference for your main contacts.

You know what i mean ?

Create a sms folder on your storage card, and call the file sms(contacts name).htm

then edit the html for each of the main people you use, obviously this would be mad if you sms like 50 different people, but i only sms like 5 different people a day, so it would be fine for me.

Guest ajb3000

Any opinions? Just open the 'sms.htm' file with notepad and change 'MoDaCo' to your phone number before you put it on your phone and it will default to your number in the 'From' field.

Guest ajb3000

Just tried that jaknife and yes it does work, but would take a lot of time and effort plus it would be different for every user. It is however usefull for a temporary solution for myself!

Guest HelloDave

Made some slight changes to the sms.htm file - hope you don't mind ajb! I've implemented the maxlength property in the message text box, but that means it can only be 1 line unfortunately. The maxlength support in Pocket IE is a bit buggy, and only works when you press space - in other words if you've entered 159 characters, then type "bye" PIE will let you type "bye" and then delete the y and e when you press space. I've also put in a character count, but it only updates when you press "preview", as PIE doesn't support some javascript events. Pressing preview also copies what you've typed to the text area at the bottom of the screen, which you can click on to easilty read the whole message. Just remember that anything you type in the preview box won't get sent as an SMS!

Thanks ajb for all your work on this so far! :)

sms.zip

Guest ajb3000

Thanks Dave, I was hoping to get the max character working for a multiple line box but now it doesn't seem like we'll be able to. Also the Character Count only displays the characters left after you hit preview, I presume this is a PIE problem and not something we can sort out? In doing this I have come to the conclusion that PIE is a POS.

Guest HelloDave
Also the Character Count only displays the characters left after you hit preview, I presume this is a PIE problem and not something we can sort out?
Yup, unfortunately :) PIE only supports a limited amount of javascript events (the things that trigger the counter update). The way to make the counter update as you type would be to add an "onkeypress" type event to the message text box, which would then call the code that changes the count, but although this works in IE4+ it doesn't work in PIE which supports a very basic subset of javascript (probably at about the level of Netscape 2 I think). I wanted to make the preview print text directly to the page instead of using a text area, but there's no chance with PIE!

I have come to the conclusion that PIE is a POS.

It isn't great, but even a browser to the level of Netscape 2 isn't bad for a phone! I didn't even think PIE supported javascript until tonight!

Guest ajb3000

ok, another update. I would preferably like to fit it all on a single page, so included a character length counter (thanks dave for the idea/code), removing the preview box. At the moment I just have it counting up and no character limit so I can keep the mulitple line box and fit it all on one screen.

Feel free to post comment and/or ideas/improvements.

sms2.zip

Guest HelloDave

Would anyone find a preview useful? I had one idea while I was looking at ajb's HTML of having the edit page as in his post above, with a preview button that opened up another page with the message written out in full and "send" and "back" buttons. Don't know about anyone else, but I like to read through my texts before I send them! If anyone's interested let me know and i'll have a go. :)

Guest HelloDave

ajb; it's this bit of code at the top of the source file -

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">

<!--

<!-- Dynamic Version by: Nannette Thacker -->

<!-- http://www.shiningstar.net -->

<!-- Original by :  Ronnie T. Moore -->

<!-- Web Site:  The javascript Source -->

<!-- Use one function for multiple text areas on a page -->

<!-- Limit the number of characters per textarea -->

<!-- Begin

function textCounter(field,cntfield,maxlimit) {

if (field.value.length > maxlimit) // if too long...trim it!

field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit);

// otherwise, update 'characters left' counter

else

cntfield.value = maxlimit - field.value.length;

}

//  End -->

Problem is it's driven by onkeydown and onkeyup events, which don't work in PIE :)

Guest ajb3000

Thats the thing, if we can get a max limit on a multiple line box then a preview will not be required as you can read over it before you submit, however if that would be impossible, then a single line box for the message would be better with a seperate preview page.

What do you think?

Guest ajb3000

ok, one more idea, have a look at the latest file I uploaded. How about adding in some sort of script to that file (if possible) to come and and tell you the message cannot be sent because it is too long if it is over 160 charcters. I think I have the layout pretty much perfected in that file.

Guest HelloDave

That shouldn't be too hard - change the submit button from a "submit" type to a "button" type and then check "message1.length :) OK, this latest attempt won't let you send an SMS if it's over 160 characters. You still have to click length to find out how many characters you've used though. Note - in one night we've produced something that can send SMSs and let's you know how many characters you've typed which apparently M$ haven't managed throughout the entire lifetime of SmartPhone 2002! :wink:

sms.zip

Guest jaknife2000

If you modify the textarea line to read :-

It will then count up the characters everytime you press a key down.

You can then remove the extra "length" button"

And it still checks that you are under 160 chars from the other piece of javascript.

FORGET THAT.

It does work, but i forgot you open up the textarea when editting it on the SPV, works fine on a PC browser tho.

Still the add to: contacts to go then. hmmm

Guest ajb3000

Here we go,

Dave, if you want to read over the readme file and make any changes do so. Then if you are happy with it we should put it up somewhere easier to find than page 9 on this thread.

EDIT: Add To: Contacts I don't think will be possible with HTML, but I would love someone to prove me wrong. Also one other thing to put in the readme: To clear all boxes just refresh the page.

RetroSPV SMS.zip