RetroSPV - Free SMS

Guest asif @ planus

Guest ajb3000

I will look into the contacts thing, trouble is this is the first time I've done raw HTML coding, usually I just use Dreamweaver.

I have found a small problem, but I'm not sure if it's server side or not. When sending to an SPV everything works fine, however when sending to my mums Nokia 3310, it misses off the last 3 digits of the 'From:' number. Anyone have any ideas?

Guest HelloDave

ajb - The readme looks fine; can't think of anything to add to it! Only other thing would be to package everything nicely into a .cab file for easy installation; that would then automatically create the start menu shortcut.

however when sending to my mums Nokia 3310, it misses off the last 3 digits of the 'From:' number. Anyone have any ideas?
I've had this - enter your number in the format "07xxxxxxxxx" and it works fine.

Ajb3000 is their *ANYWAY* you could make it read a CSV/HTML formatted contacts file?

For security reasons, javascript won't read from a file, but I'm having a look at writing a script to copy the contents of a csv file into a list box on the sms page which you can then choose a contact from. Only other solution would be an Outlook macro which copies a custom HTML link to the notes page of each contact.

Guest ajb3000

any ideas how to create a .cab file that will install it nicely? The only problem with that is the changing 'MoDaCo' text to your phone number.

Shall we put this file as a new thread or do you still think we need to sort out the .cab and possible contacts first?

Guest HelloDave

I'm having a go with the contacts at the moment, so i'll see how that goes (biding my time with the update!). True about the MoDaCo thing; not sure about that one.

Guest asif @ planus

Hi,

Well, You guys have done very well..

The nature of the from fields means that the max on certain networks can only be 11 Chars.

Also, if you cant think of anything to put in the from, feel free to use "RetroFone" :)

Let me know how it goes - we may be looking into developing this as an App and getting it signed, which will co-incide with our plans to do some specials with MoDaCo. If any developers can contact me at [email protected] that would be great.

Regards

Asif

Guest ajb3000

so that means it depends on the recepients network then?

I'm pleased you like what we have done. Maybe someone who has the SDK and an Uncert phone can take a couple of screenies to show others what we have done? (I'm on 56k and my phone seems to have locked itself after the update).

Hows the contact thing going Dave? Also who knows how to make this into a .cab installation? I think we should just have it install with default 'RetroFone' in the 'From:' field with instructions on how to change this after install.

Guest HelloDave

OK, here it is (if anyone's interested now the update's out!) - the first version of the SMS script with a .csv importer. It works for me, but it isn't that user friendly! (I only started writing it this afternoon!)

First thing to do - export all your contacts in Outlook. Go to file...import and export and a wizard will appear. Choose "Export to a file" and click next. Then choose "Comma seperated values windows" and click next. Select the contact folder you want to export, click next and call the file "contacts.csv". Put the exported file in the same folder as "contacts.js". Now the important bit - on the next page don't click finish yet, click "Map Custom fields" and export First Name, Last name and Mobile number in that order. Now click OK and you should end up with a csv file. If you open it up in notepad it should be in the form "First Name","Last Name","Mobile Phone".

Once you have the contacts.csv file double click on "contacts.js" and after a few seconds a message box should appear telling you the file has been written. Copy the contacts.htm file to your SPV along with the new sms.htm and sent.htm files. Now open contacts.htm instead of sms.htm when you want to send an sms and all your contacts should appear in a list - click it to expand it in Pocket IE. Once you've chosen a contact, click the "choose" button and the sms page should appear with the contact's number in the "to" field.

I haven't tested this very much, so let me know if it works for you! The readme file is unchanged from ajb's version.

SMS Contacts.zip

Guest ajb3000

Sounds promising, I'm trying to de cert my phone again after the update messed it up right now, but as soon as I get the phone up and running again I'll give it a go.

Guest jaknife2000

Hi ya,

Yep works nice, the contacts.js and that.

Only one question i have left now, and i wont keep on, it sends perfectly well to the +44 contact number, but if you put the +44 in the sender field it drops the numbers, the last 3 digits of my number are 786, and in put its 7H

If i take out the + at the front it works fine, but the receiving phone, if it has caller id, and lets face it they all do, doesn't display there saved contact name.

It just displays the phone number minus the + on the front.

Any ideas ?

Does work lovely, but already i have had people ask if i sent them a message as it didn't list my name.

PS this is post update, which for me worked fine, slight weirdness issue, where it never left the UPDATING do not close screen, for over half an hour, which i had 2 sms, and 2 emails, and an answerphone message.

I read, and cleared them, then turned the phone off.

The update HAS taken, and i have got the couple of new apps, and is slightly quicker.

Guest ajb3000

jaknife, if you read the previous page RetroFone states that it is a network issue where only 11 characters can be sent in the 'From' field. using 0 instead of 44 or +44 works fine for me for national numbers (and the recieving phone does show my name), using 44 or +44 works fine when the recieving phone is on Orange, neither work when recieving on O2, haven't tried the others.

Basically using 0, 44 or +44 should display your name as long as the entire number is sent.

My phone is running decert again so I'm just gonna install everything then try Dave's additions.

Guest ajb3000

Ok, found the CD and got my phone back up and running.

Not sure if it's just me, but the 'contacts.htm' is completely screwed, it only displays bits of peoples names and the first digit is missing from all phone numbers. Any ideas?

Guest ajb3000

No worries, it was just me being stupid.

Wow this is good, just a couple of things need sorting. First of all, can we get rid of the + in front of the recipients number? I know it probably doesn't matter but when we can't have a + on the from field it just looks tidier. Also we need the 'contacts.htm' to be laid out better, with maybe a title and a button to press if we want to send a message to someone not in the address book.

EDIT: I'm working on this right now, not sure how to remove the +s tho.

Guest HelloDave

If the +s bother you then change

document.write("value='" + unescape(location.search.substring(location.search.indexOf("=")+1, location.search.length)) + "'>")
to
document.write("value='" + unescape(location.search.substring(location.search.indexOf("=")+2, location.search.length)) + "'>")

in sms.htm

To change how contacts.htm is laid out then edit contacts.js - it's easy to see where the HTML is written, just be careful not to mix single and double quotes! Let me know if you've got any more questions! :)

Guest lukeyboy

Cheers for all the efforts guys.

Couple of things.

1. my redirect to send page aint working :-( even though the sent.html is located in the redirect location of file:///IPSMApplication DataSMS Htmlsent.htm"> :?: Its weird because its sitting there and all the paths are correct (have't moded any of your work)

2. when clicking on the to box, can you make it so that the default is 123 not t9?

3. Length validation in the sent box so that it can only send if only 12 numbers (inc. 44). Would do that but my javascript is s*** and I'm not convinced it would work in PIE anyway.

Anyway, keep up the good work :)

Guest HelloDave
1. my redirect to send page aint working  even though the sent.html is located in the redirect location of file:///IPSMApplication DataSMS Htmlsent.htm">
Ah, that's becuase the URL in the current sms.htm page points to file:///Storage Cardsent.htm. Doh! :oops: I'll fix that...

2. when clicking on the to box, can you make it so that the default is 123 not t9?

Not that I know of

Length validation in the sent box so that it can only send if only 12 numbers (inc. 44). Would do that but my javascript is s*** and I'm not convinced it would work in PIE anyway.

Good point - another thing that's easy to do.

Guest lukeyboy

1. my redirect to send page aint working even though the sent.html is located in the redirect location of file:///IPSMApplication DataSMS Htmlsent.htm"> Its weird because its sitting there and all the paths are correct (have't moded any of your work)

Don't worry about that. I was editing the old storage card one at the same time as the IPSM location and saved to the wrong file. Well it is after midnight Doh :wink:

Guest ajb3000

Heres the latest version of all files, so everyone try these, trouble is people having been trying different versions of different files together, hence some of the errors.

The only things I think need doing are removing the + (just a preference thing so it looks tidier), and including easy to follow instructions in the ReadMe file for the exporting of contacts.

Quote: "3. Length validation in the sent box so that it can only send if only 12 numbers (inc. 44). Would do that but my javascript is s*** and I'm not convinced it would work in PIE anyway."

Personally I don't think this is a good idea as some international numbers may have a different number of digits?!?

RetroSPV SMS.zip

Guest HelloDave

OK, here's the new version. Changes -

- "+" is gone from phone numbers

- If you don't choose a contact, contacts.htm won't let you proceed

- Added an "other" button to the contacts page if you want to manually enter a number

- Fixed the redirection to sent.htm

I haven't bothered with form field validation - likelyhood is if you've got the number wrong it's going to be under 12 digits anyway! All we need now is a decent readme, but it's 1.15AM and I can't be bothered! :)

Instructions on how to use contacts.js are in one of my previous posts (for all you programmers out there - yes the script is a bit messy, but it works! ;))

Enjoy :lol:

Latest SMS scripts.zip