Garmin Mobile XT and WM6 E-mail problem

Guest Mark999

Guest Mark999

Hi I'm new to this site, I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this.

I am running Windows Mobile 6 on an HP iPAQ 210. The problem I am experiencing is that after I install Garmin Mobile XT 5.00.20wp, I cannot setup a new E-mail account or modify an old email account. From Messaging when selecting "New E-mail Account" it goes to the default outlook account. I did a hard reset on my iPAQ and the problem was corrected. After I reinstalled Garmin mobile XT the problem returned. To verify this I have done a hard reset a number of times and after installing Garmin mobile XT, I cannot create a new email account. I have also tried the 4 previous versions of Garmin Mobile XT software with the same results.

I have also reported the problem to Garmin, they didn't know about this problem. If anyone else is running Garmin Mobil XT on a WM6 device I would be interested in knowing if they could create or modify an email account, just wondering if I'm the only one.

If I can't find a fix to this; is there another way to create or modify e-mail accounts? Is there a reqistry entry I can change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Guest Mark999
Hi I'm new to this site, I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this.

I am running Windows Mobile 6 on an HP iPAQ 210. The problem I am experiencing is that after I install Garmin Mobile XT 5.00.20wp, I cannot setup a new E-mail account or modify an old email account. From Messaging when selecting "New E-mail Account" it goes to the default outlook account. I did a hard reset on my iPAQ and the problem was corrected. After I reinstalled Garmin mobile XT the problem returned. To verify this I have done a hard reset a number of times and after installing Garmin mobile XT, I cannot create a new email account. I have also tried the 4 previous versions of Garmin Mobile XT software with the same results.

I have also reported the problem to Garmin, they didn't know about this problem. If anyone else is running Garmin Mobil XT on a WM6 device I would be interested in knowing if they could create or modify an email account, just wondering if I'm the only one.

If I can't find a fix to this; is there another way to create or modify e-mail accounts? Is there a reqistry entry I can change?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Just an update on this problem:

Talked to Garmin support, and reproduced the problem. They didn't have a solution, so they are sending the problem to engineering.

Thanks Mark

Guest Mark999
Keep us updated when they get back to you (hopefully they will)

Not heard of this issue before

Another update and work-around:

The HP Business support forum listed the same Email account problem with Garmin XT

See:

"http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1239386783159+28353475&threadId=1318774"

and

"http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1331368"

The work-around to doing the hard rest, is to use the "HP iPAQ Setup Assistant" from a PC to create and modify email accounts via ActiveSync.

Guest Mark999
Another update and work-around:

The HP Business support forum listed the same Email account problem with Garmin XT

See:

"http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1239386783159+28353475&threadId=1318774"

and

"http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1331368"

The work-around to doing the hard rest, is to use the "HP iPAQ Setup Assistant" from a PC to create and modify email accounts via ActiveSync.

I have a fix for this problem on the iPAQ 210. The (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SMS) registry key needs to be deleted after Garmin XT is installed.

This is the process I ran through: I compared the registry before Garmin XT was installed to the registry after Garmin XT was removed from my iPAQ. I did this because the problem still existed after Garmin XT was uninstalled.

Of the registry keys left after Garmin XT was uninstall the following key : (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SMS)

was the key that seemed to be the most logical suspect key as it was under the INBOX key and the value of its subkey pointed to one of the CLSIDs installed by Garmin XT.

I deleted this key and the problem was corrected.

I did another Hard Reset, installed Garmin XT, and the create email problem was present. I deleted this key and the problem was corrected. I did another Hard Reset, installed Garmin, uninstalled Garmin, and the problem was present. I deleted this key and the problem was corrected. I ran some small tests on Garmin XT and email account creation, and everything seems OK.

This has only been tested on the iPAQ 210, and I would recommend you save the registry before deleting the key. I will also send this fix to Garmin under the ticket I opened with them.

Thanks Mark