i910 Bricked Omnia Observations

Guest somedude

Guest somedude

Fellows omnians, If you bricked your verizon omnia, like me, maybe we can help others from doing the same by getting to the root cause of what may have went wrong.

First, the machine that i attempted to flash was windows xp, (no service packs though, maybe that could be a reason?)

Second, i dont think my phone was charged enough. I had attempted the flash at around 7pm, and i had not charged my phone since around 7am.

Third, i notice a error message when i opened the UMDL file. I can no longer reproduce this, and i forgot what the error said. But once i clicked okay on the message box, the program opened fine.

Fourth, I had followed directions to a t, installed all drivers, unchecked usb connection, im not a nood at this...But yet i could never get past 48% when i tried to download EBOOT. Finally, out of frustration, i resetted my phone while the EBOOT was stuck at 48%, then, once my phone loaded up again, the EBOOT loaded to 100% very quickly, shut the phone off, and killed it.

I also had the SCH-i910 || (WM6.1)[DPRAM] as a platform.

Guest krelvinaz

Sounds like you might have used the wrong button and some other possible problem stuff.

I did a hard reset of the phone itself (not the memory storage) before starting this. Don't know if this is needed, but I did it to be safe.

Your phone should be fully charged, and turned OFF. Not just the display, press and hold the power button and turn it off.

Your computer should be doing nothing else.

When using the UMDL_OMNIA app, the only button you should be pressing is the "Unified Image File (*.img)" button.

The PDF calls this button the "EBOOT+PDA+PHONE(+CSC)" button, which is the same button, but it is labeled differently on the newer version of the UMDL app.

After you press the DETECT button, you need to plug in your (turned off omnia) and then turn it on.

You should not do anything else while this process takes place.

Don't browse, use other programs, that could interfere with the transfer.

It takes a while to do all of the updates.

post-65252-1239390398_thumb.png

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest NewKlNGjames

pretty much the same thing happened to me. My phone was turned off all the way. the only buttons that I pushed were to load the image and detect. I forgot to mention in the other topic that it had locked up the first time. Got a checksum error while downloading the eboot file. nothing was installed and it booted up fine so I forgot about it. I am using a vista machine and had installed the usb driver and rebooted. I also disabled usb through windows mobile device center.

Edit:

A weird thing that I noticed was that the Backlit power button only turns red when on battery only. if I hook the phone up to a power cord or to the computer, then I get nothing at all.... weird.

Edited by NewKlNGjames

Guest somedude
i would just do it in store...

did you guys happen to hard reset the phone?

Did you have any of the boxes checked?

How many times did you try to flash it?

I did not do a hard reset.

Whatever boxes that were checked by default were the ones that were checked. I did not check any boxes on my own.

I tried to flash at least 6 or 7 times.

Guest NewKlNGjames
I would just do it in store...

did you guys happen to hard reset the phone?

Did you have any of the boxes checked?

How many times did you try to flash it?

I hard reset the phone a few days ago... only put on one app, so I didn't even think about it.

I did not check any of the boxes that weren't on the guide.

tried twice. second time it said that it was successful and bricked my phone.

Guest dwallersv
Fellows omnians, If you bricked your verizon omnia, like me, maybe we can help others from doing the same by getting to the root cause of what may have went wrong.

First, the machine that i attempted to flash was windows xp, (no service packs though, maybe that could be a reason?)

Second, i dont think my phone was charged enough. I had attempted the flash at around 7pm, and i had not charged my phone since around 7am.

Third, i notice a error message when i opened the UMDL file. I can no longer reproduce this, and i forgot what the error said. But once i clicked okay on the message box, the program opened fine.

Whoah, don't remember you posting this in the other thread (not that you didn't, just don't remember seeing it).

This, to me, is a major stop sign. When I pressed the "unified image" button and then selected the image downloaded from MegaDownload, the program clearly did some sort of verification on the file and the parts therein, probably some checksums and other stuff, then was ready. No warning dialogs.

It's not completely batsh!t that a few people could have ended up with corrupt downloads. It happens, not because of anything nefarious, just imperfect technology.

Guest Chugworth

Does the MD5SUM of your image match the one below?

664555509f821556775dc6f9222f4502 *i910WM6.1.REV10.CC20.VZW.img

I suspect that either your image was corrupt, or something interfered with the USB ports during your upgrade. I also doubt that your Omnia is truly "bricked." Usually these devices always have some way to allow re-flashing if the image is corrupt.

When you send it to Verizon, they will re-flash it, clean it off, and then give it as a replacement to someone else.

Guest bigdaddykane

Hi My Name is Bigdaddykane and I too have bricked my most valuable possession.......but the new on will be in the mail Monday

Guest somedude
Hi My Name is Bigdaddykane and I too have bricked my most valuable possession.......but the new on will be in the mail Monday

I thought a microphone was your most valuable profession? :excl:

Are you going to flash your replacement? I know i am, i dont care, if it bricks again, so be it.

Guest DenaeNo9

I also got an error when starting the UDML program, but I continued on and it flashed correctly. I did DL the .img file a few times until I got a transfer rate higher than 500k, seems the higher the transfer rate the fewer corrupt files I get. I also thought it done a checksum when loading the .img file, but maybe not.

Guest pylesw
Does the MD5SUM of your image match the one below?

664555509f821556775dc6f9222f4502 *i910WM6.1.REV10.CC20.VZW.img

I suspect that either your image was corrupt, or something interfered with the USB ports during your upgrade. I also doubt that your Omnia is truly "bricked." Usually these devices always have some way to allow re-flashing if the image is corrupt.

When you send it to Verizon, they will re-flash it, clean it off, and then give it as a replacement to someone else.

Having also bricked my phone, I am also leaning towards the belief that the USB ports were the issue. I have a lot of external devices connected via USB (drives, DVD-ROM, printer, etc) and the image file was on the external USB drive when I was flashing. It's possible that reading from the USB drive while writing out another USB port (connected to the phone) made the installation unstable. It's the only thing I can think of. I followed the directions to the letter. My PC is using Windows XP with all the latest service packs and hotfixes. ActiveSync was v4.5 with USB connections disabled. Samsung drivers were the correct version as stated in the documentation. Both the PC and the phone were booted/soft reset prior to install.

Beta code is supposed to be a bit buggy. Bricked phones would be commonplace if we were official alpha or beta testers for Verizon. Hopefully, Verizon will work out the kinks by the time the official version is released.

Contact customer support, tell them the phone won't start and they'll mail you a replacement. You'll need to mail back your original phone when the replacement arrives.

Guest pylesw

Are you going to flash your replacement? I know i am, i dont care, if it bricks again, so be it.

Rumor has it that the official Verizon release will be in May. Having flashed it correctly the first time, I need my phone and can live without GPS for another month. I'm not going to flash the replacement phone until Verizon releases the official version and then, I'm going to use another PC to flash it. Something caused it to fail the first time, and trying to flash it again exactly as i did before will likely cause the replacement to also get bricked.

Guest somedude
Rumor has it that the official Verizon release will be in May. Having flashed it correctly the first time, I need my phone and can live without GPS for another month. I'm not going to flash the replacement phone until Verizon releases the official version and then, I'm going to use another PC to flash it. Something caused it to fail the first time, and trying to flash it again exactly as i did before will likely cause the replacement to also get bricked.

This time im going to try vista. I bricked using xp. I wouldve used vista, but i got a error while the program attempted to find my device. I think maybe because i didnt have activesync 4.5 installed? I didnt think that was necessary because vista uses WMDC.

Guest dwallersv
This time im going to try vista. I bricked using xp. I wouldve used vista, but i got a error while the program attempted to find my device. I think maybe because i didnt have activesync 4.5 installed? I didnt think that was necessary because vista uses WMDC.

Not necessary. In fact, you can't install ActiveSync on Vista.

I did it from vista, exactly as the instructions said. You do have to have WMDC installed, and be sure the Connect via USB is unchecked.

Guest Chugworth
Not necessary. In fact, you can't install ActiveSync on Vista.

I did it from vista, exactly as the instructions said. You do have to have WMDC installed, and be sure the Connect via USB is unchecked.

Right. I flashed mine from Windows 7. I did not need to install any extra drivers. Just unchecked that "Connect via USB" setting, and it worked fine.

Guest bigdaddykane

yes but i will wait a month or so.... i want to watch the forums more carefully and see if there is anything i can do differently... or maybe verizon will pull their head out of their ass and unlock it already

Guest DeepBlueEditor
just wanna put it out there that a hard reset isnt needed before hand. i didn't do one, no problems.

FYI, I didn't do a hard reset either. Active Sync back up and total SPB backup but no hard reset.

S

Guest kidkitna
hmmmm... You know what, the computer that i flashed on only had USB 1.1. I thinking could that have been a possible reason?

It might be. My phone bricked with USB 1.0 and I talked to a member on samsung-omnia.org that also bricked their phone using USB 1.0. I personally think that's why my phone bricked as I followed all the other instructions to a T. It's not really that hard to do. I think the early days of the PSP-2000 took longer to update the firmware with cfw.

Guest somedude
It might be. My phone bricked with USB 1.0 and I talked to a member on samsung-omnia.org that also bricked their phone using USB 1.0. I personally think that's why my phone bricked as I followed all the other instructions to a T. It's not really that hard to do. I think the early days of the PSP-2000 took longer to update the firmware with cfw.

I think we might have found the culprit. Its no coincidence that we all bricked using USB 1.0...

When i flashed successfully, i used USB 2.0.

The only reason why i flashed on the pc with USB 1.1 was because my vista machine was displaying a error during the flashing process.(It doesnt anymore though).

Can anyone who bricked confirm if they were using USB 1.1?

Guest itzmeehtimmy

i also bricked about 30 mins ago using a frkn usb 1.1 cuz im too lazy to reach around back for the 2.0.....

but the message i recvd from the umdl was that it was unable to something something dpram, like unable to download dpram to that extent, then i unplugged usb and now my phone is just on but no nothing.

Guest somedude

so this seems like this is definitely a issue.

Can the folks who are making tutorials please emphasize that the user must have a USB 2.0 connection to avoid bricking their phone. So that this doesn't happen to anyone else!!

Guest am776

Hi,

Yesterday, I download new flash(i910WM6.1.REV10.CC20.VZW.img) to my omnia i910 Verizon ,and every thing was ok,then I use Samsung PST for Verizon with i910 DLL to modify Data and MMS parameter ,but after finished write to phone ,POWER-SAVED MODE appear in phone .no service in phone but when I make a call the service came back when finished just 2 sec then POWER-SAVED MODE came back.

Please help.