Male dominated zone!

Guest emsoftsys

Guest emsoftsys

Just noticed Sarah_SPV's post, there aren't many girls using this forum, this must be a case of 'boys and their toys'.

In the earlier days of me using this forum there was a lady called Vickie who used to post, indeed I think she generated a few 'personalised' backdrops for the phone, I wonder what happened to her :?:

I wonder how many ladies have bought this phone, Orange must understand that the phone is attractive mainly to males, surely this limits their market?

Any thoughts anybody?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I hadn't noticed any kind of sexism in the (limited) advertising.

I think it's more a case of blokes being more interested in technology over the majority of women, in general of course.

I don't think Orange had "aimed" the SPV at any particular gender....

I've always got the impression that girls don't like lots of menus and fiddly things - and would rather just press a few simple buttons. Something that the SPV isn't that great about doing...

It's very much a tinkering toy I think. Don't know how many general females could put up with some of the technical "sh*t" with the phone too.

I don't think Orange had "aimed" the SPV at any particular gender....

They didn't out of choice, but it's naturally intended for PC-mad blokes.

If you don't know what HTTP stands for, this phone's not for you, and most birds don't...

Well I gave up trying to convince my Wife about the phone! She wasn't too happy that I paid 200 Euro on an upgrade for the phone - I got a 160 Euro reduction - phones are more expensive in France.

When trying to explain all the wonders and beauties of the phone (minus the bugs) she was uninterested. She thinks that the SPV is too complicated to use. She owns a Nokia and we all agree that the user interface for the basic Nokia mobile was superior to anything else.

I believe that woman and men often don't share the same value for things. I had to have the SPV because its the latest technical gadget. My Wife needs a mobile just to make phone calls - anything else is a burden!

In fact she won't even SMS when I am travelling abroad despite the fact its much cheaper than calling me on my mobile or for me to call her. Instead I get massive mobile bills.

No hope ...

Considering I often hear my other half refer to my area of expertise and acreer as "that nerdy computer cráp"...I can see why she might not want to use the SPV.

She likes the games though...:roll:

B

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah same heh, my gf wasn't impressed with me getting the SPV either ;)

I'm hoping she'll come around soonish. took 3 months when i bought my laptop though for her to accept it :/

I'm hoping she'll come around soonish. took 3 months when i bought my laptop though

What did you do? Smack her over the head with it? ;)

Well, if she doesn't quit beating me at Slurp any time soon...this may be the drastic action required!

B

"All you do is play on that bloody phone lately. I wish I'd never bought it for you..."

Thats right guy's - She paid for it!

Ha Ha Ha.

Seriously though it probably is a case of boys and their toys. We should welcome more female users to the community.

Guest Paul [MVP]

My other half loves her GD87, and thinks the SPV is ugly ;)

I seem to remember I posted stats here before about the ratio of birds/blokes... can't be arsed to do a search tho :lol:

P

Games! No chance of that convincing her. More likely an e-book of recipes :lol:

Mind you not that I am really complaining! As I work from home, I am always spoiled for lunch and dinner ;)

And look what I do when I work from home - surf the Net and pop into to look at the MoDaCO forum allday:!:

Guest Sarah_SPV

Listen to you lot! ;)

I must admit I have to agree with you about the male/female divide thing. Weird isn't it? Speaking for myself I've always been into the latest bits and bobs and therefore made to suffer 'endearing' terms such as 'squary squary egghead', which is my personal fave. On the flipside, my boyfriend, an accountant (the long winter nights fly by in our house) isn't into technology at all so it all goes over his head.

I absolutely love the SPV, it's fantastic and I couldn't ask for anything else in a phone!

On the flipside, my boyfriend, an accountant (the long winter nights fly by in our house) isn't into technology at all so it all goes over his head.

;) Did you show him the fantastic calculator? I am sure it would help him be more productive and then he will have more free time on his hands :wink:

;) Did you show him the fantastic calculator? I am sure it would help him be more productive and then he will have more free time on his hands :wink:

My cousin and her boyfriend are both accountants. Trust me, having more free time is not necessarily a good thing!

B

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
"]My other half loves her GD87, and thinks the SPV is ugly ;)

I seem to remember I posted stats here before about the ratio of birds/blokes... can't be arsed to do a search tho :lol:

P

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic...&highlight=male

4x that many users here now though, so that should mean all of about 36 female members :lol:

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

My daughter's desperate to get her hands on an SPV, and my Mrs. reckons it's cool - but she still wants a T68i anyway - it *looks* more ladylike (a real girl's phone, she says). A mate wants to chop her 7650 in for an SPV. For males only? Nah, no dice.

At the risk of turning this thread into a socialogical discussion, I'd say that the SPV's appeal would vary most from generation to generation rather than being just a simple gender-related thing. From a youth point-of-view, using my kids' youth club as an example, the lads are more impressed with the internet functions of the phone and the girls like the mp3/video player....which is a good indication of the sheer versatility and broad appeal of the SPV. All the SPV needs is more Nokia-style marketing; if anyone understands how to appeal to various market sectors (and succeed), it's Nokia...

hi guys. looks like i should stop posting under my boyfriends account then, and have my own sign in name and then there will be two females on this forum me and sarah lol.

i personally blame nokia for over-running this mobile industry first, with easy to use phones, working for Orange the first thing women say is i want a nokia they are the best and are ignorant to any type of persuasion to another make or model, or i want that one cus it looks nice (i can say these comments as im female lol) - for instance the facination with the A300 for goodness sakes.

the other main issue is maintainance - women and high maintainance 'toys' do not mix they cant be bothered and seek no pleasure from tweeking. at this point i would like to say that i am talking from the experience of 90% of female customers i serve.

the attempts to explain how easy it is to drag and drop to your spv even seems too much trouble - as long as its small enough when they go out they want it -- im sorry to say it too as a female but its true.

since October only two women have bought an spv me, as an employee and a lady who was a computer technician typically no other female has sniffed at this handset. shame really i could not be anymore overwhelmed with this handset and its become a ritual to get home first so i can check modaco, for new skins and wavs on my fav list. sounds obsessive but it is daily point of conversation with fellow male work collegues who also have the hanset of 'hey ive found a new skin website or look at my new cool skin, or listen to this '

it looks like its down to me and sarah to comment on behalf of females for this forum until we can convert more females, i daily try, but hold little hope :wink:

good job i dont mind predominant male company guys :wink:

It'd be difficult to cram in so many features and make the UI idiot-friendly.

Difficult, but possible, Ericssons have many features, but are easy to navigate (despite being slow).

The 7210/6610's are also presumably easy to navigate, but I've not had any experience - has anyone else?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

All nokia's will have pretty much the same menu system, bar the Symbian powered ones.

As for posting stats, i've also been a little busier than normal this week, been keeping up but not had much chance to actually post much ;)