omnia external antenna

Guest percy s

Guest percy s

I need an external antenna on my omnia. (I live and work in poor signal areas most of the time). I am aware that I can get a passive external booster antenna (about $290.00 here). but that is pretty clumsy, with minimal gain. Does anyone know how much of a project patching in an external half wave or full wave antenna would be? I spent years in IC fabrication, and decades in software/hardware, I am not afraid of making it into a paperweight. Yes I was asleep when I bought the omnia as the antenna was on my list of musts but I forgot to read the list and the deal suckered me in.

I have not seen complaints about omnia GSM reception so maybe mine is substandard. My three year old Sony k750i is much more phone useable.

Edited by percy s

Guest KayDat

Take off the battery cover. About 2/3 of the way down between the SIM card and the bottom of your phone, there should be a black square. This is nothing more than a sticker. You can peel this off revealing the external antenna port.

Edit: If you take a look here, in the first image the square is just above the bottom right hand corner circle. You can see the antenna port revealed in the second image as well, near the top middle. That phone is a SIM card free phone though, so the innards will look slightly different.

Edited by KayDat