Mobile Homepage launcher using icons

Guest RickDawson

Guest RickDawson

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, so can a mod move it if necessary. Thanks.

I've made a homepage for PIE on my HTC TyTnII / Vario 3

It is just a grid of icons that link to various mobile versions of popular & useful sites plus others that I use.

I originally got it running on my mobile, and that is where I will develop it

I have copied what I have done so far to my webspace.

http://mobi.richarddawson.co.uk/HOME

Disclaimer: I take no credit for any of the graphics whatsoever. I got them from various blogs/forums and Deviant-Art and other sites. where they were available free.

any other useful sites that I can add, mayby more pages?

any other graphics that you think would work.

Edited by RickDawson

Guest SilentBob

Fantastic idea. Unfortunately way to small to use on Touch HD (800x480). <_< I suppose it's only one step away from accessing bookmarks/favourites, but could look very nice.

Any links exist to a page showing only an London Underground available??? That would be handy.

Guest RickDawson

could you expand on what you mean by too small?

the icons are used the same size they are created for the iPhone

they are big enough to use on the Vario 3, and I have what I call Simpson (shorter fatter) fingers.

I have ae button plus installed and used it to change the t-mobile w'n'w button to open this instead.

Guest SilentBob
could you expand on what you mean by too small?

the icons are used the same size they are created for the iPhone

they are big enough to use on the Vario 3, and I have what I call Simpson (shorter fatter) fingers.

I have ae button plus installed and used it to change the t-mobile w'n'w button to open this instead.

When opened on the Touch HD, with an 800x480 resolution, the buttons are squeezed into less than a quarter of the screen, leaving a lot of blank space. I have to take the zoom bar in Opera to half way across to get them to the correct size.

Would I be correct in thinking that if a page is "over" sized then, regardless of device & resolution, it will be scaled to fit the width of the screen? Perhaps someone else could confirm?

Unfortunately the HD has no hardware buttons to program for browser. However, it is obviously quite easy to set this as a home page. What's more, it could be saved as a local html giving quicker access to these shortcuts. Perhaps, if I get time, I could work on a customizable WVGA version for local install?

Good work anyways. <_<

Guest SilentBob
found the London Tube Map (copied the image from their widget)

Linked the next blank icon to it (TubeMap)

Looks good. However, it would really need to be linked to the live version, so it will show the latest updates. Again, I am sure it'd be easy enough to source the appropriate URL. I was just making a lazy suggestion. <_<

Guest RickDawson
Looks good. However, it would really need to be linked to the live version, so it will show the latest updates. Again, I am sure it'd be easy enough to source the appropriate URL. I was just making a lazy suggestion. <_<

They do have a live version, in a javascript app. (widget)

the thing is though, it won't work on the Vario 3.

Linked it to the live version.

you can see the map, and sections of the map, but the menus don't work. (wouldn't have thought so anyway)

what about other stuff that could be put into this interface / linked to?

240px x 320px is the resolution of the vario 3's screen.

I originally wanted this to be a local (on the users mobile) install.

I uploaded it to my webspace, so that people could see it etc.

I actually have and use it as a local install. set as the browser homepage.

does anywhere list what the browser can do?

It would help me refine it.

Edited by RickDawson

• 8 months later...
Guest RickDawson

I'm looking again into this, but making it more of a menu.

I found the code that will make it fit perfectly to any size of screen, regardless of what the device.

not sure if it is cross browser though. It works with opera mobile.