Samsung Omnia II

Guest IBTECH
Here I found detailed specs of new CPU http://www.samsung.com/eu/business/semicon...ads/S3C6410.pdf

OpenGL ES supported!

Yes the chip supports OpenGL ES, but the question is...will they actually include the drivers so we can use it.

I made the mistake and bought the acer M900 (which I am now replacing with the Omnia II) and it has the same processor as the Omnia II only clocked at 533Mhz. Acer did not include any drivers for OpenGL ES even though the cheap can support it.

I hope that Samsung will do a better job.

Guest FerdiBorbon

Unbelievable!!! i just got the phone today and only using it for 30 mins it coped a scratch on it already on the screen...man thats why resistive touch is annoying its not scratch proof! man im really bummed is there anyways to remove light scratches from the screen??

Guest jonboyuk
Unbelievable!!! i just got the phone today and only using it for 30 mins it coped a scratch on it already on the screen...man thats why resistive touch is annoying its not scratch proof! man im really bummed is there anyways to remove light scratches from the screen??

Try displex (see ebay!)

Guest jonboyuk
Yes the chip supports OpenGL ES, but the question is...will they actually include the drivers so we can use it.

I made the mistake and bought the acer M900 (which I am now replacing with the Omnia II) and it has the same processor as the Omnia II only clocked at 533Mhz. Acer did not include any drivers for OpenGL ES even though the cheap can support it.

I hope that Samsung will do a better job.

This means we can potentially run TouchFlo 3D ..... finally!!! (That said the new Omnia II interface looks better anyway)!

Guest chokia
HTC is trying to compete: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/07/22/...mmm-snapdragon/

This beast needs more storage space and better camera, otherwise it's a winner

if the screen is 4.3" and yet still have bottom button area, I wonder how huge is HTC Leo/Firestones in size.

Toshiba TG01 with 4.1" and still with huge top and bottom spacing already too long for my taste.

Anyway the closest to Omnia II screen quality is Omnia I8910 HD with 3.7" AMOLED but only HVGA resolution (similar to iphone) not WVGA. Of course the former is capacitive and Omnia II's is advanced resistive. Some owners of both phone said the latter is better.

In fact some onwers of iphone 3GS and Omnia II claimed that the latter is 98% of the former in terms of sensitivity and usability.

I think that's not bad at all for Advanced Resistive. Perhaps the 2% lack is due to placebo effect of that fancy eye candy transition of Iphone UI that has nothing to do with the speed of opening application.

Guest FerdiBorbon

Ive had an i phone for 3 days before now having my Omnia II i can honestly say that the touch responsivenes is probably only 10-15% lower than the i phone...so definitely the advance resistive screen is beter than the original Omnia

Guest Apo11on
I thought WinMo 6.x could not support capacitive touchscreen? :) Or was that multitouch?

I think it's multitouch. winmo also has color space restriction, i believe 18bit colors is the max it can do.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
I will be ordering my i8000 next Friday!!!!!!! I feel good baby!!!!!!! Daddy wants a new gadget :( ;) :huh: :angry: !!!!!!! I am such shameless whore4tech :) ;) <_<

LOL, what a whore u r! But wait until the N.A version is available and let me know how it is. I am still undecided due to some unpleasant drawbacks from its performance. Faithful i900 still serves me good (and bad occasionally with the DXID1 custom rom). I might go back to DXIA5.

Guest mementomori

i definitly like the specs of the omnia 2 but then again i might switch to the omnia pro (the slider since there are two pro's) since i miss the keyboard from prev. winmo devices...anyway im hearing not much (i didnt check all the pages of this topic) about the screen concerning visibility..from the reviews i read on pocketnow etc i get the impressing that visibillity om the omnia 2 is again like with the omnia poor with full sunlight. This i find quite troubling since this is basicly my biggest issue with my beloved omnia. i dont understand why since the touchpro 2 (which has lesser specs) actually gets a good review on visibility with sunlight.. i feel this is a big miss and could be the only reason for me not to go with the omnia 2 or pro. So im also checking how the xperia 2 will do spec wise.

is there anyone who can comment on the visibility?

greetings

Guest tim1979

I just switch to omnia 2 ,

Disable touchwiget, ram = 80+ with spb3 install.

Damn this phone is fast with respect to omnia 1. Which i own before.

Guest luxsteele

How did you disable it completely? The only thing I'm able to do is "general setting->Samsung TouchWix UI->disable".

This however disables only the shortcut from "start" to the samsung productivity menu.

Could you please advise on the procedure.

Thanks

Lux

I second that.

Is there a comparison video to confirm that if you can make one? I saw one on youtube for the i8910 Omnia HD vs iphone but it got cheated because after the first few seconds when both looked about the same, the HD screen got locked out and looked very dim.

Guest tim1979
How did you disable it completely? The only thing I'm able to do is "general setting->Samsung TouchWix UI->disable".

This however disables only the shortcut from "start" to the samsung productivity menu.

Could you please advise on the procedure.

Thanks

Lux

Go to setting(from start button) - > today(on personal tab) - > goto items tab - > uncheck Samsung WidgetPlus

done, this will disable the samsung widget, then u can install spb3 to replace the plain today screen

Guest severance

thank you!

Guest luxsteele
Go to setting(from start button) - > today(on personal tab) - > goto items tab - > uncheck Samsung WidgetPlus

done, this will disable the samsung widget, then u can install spb3 to replace the plain today screen

Thanks. By spb3 I assume you are referring to SPB mobile shell 3, right? If so I just installed it. Is there any way to redirect the taps on the messages and call phones to the original omnia II applications. When I tap them I get the old and ugly WM6 applications.

BTW with spm mobile shell 3 this phone flies, I can say it is as fast as an Iphone...if not more.

Thanks. By spb3 I assume you are referring to SPB mobile shell 3, right? If so I just installed it. Is there any way to redirect the taps on the messages and call phones to the original omnia II applications. When I tap them I get the old and ugly WM6 applications.

BTW with spm mobile shell 3 this phone flies, I can say it is as fast as an Iphone...if not more.

I told you so SBP is FAST, ver2 is even faster but kinda like all others' std boring grid like icons. Ver3 is like Android UI but I wish each spin page has its own customisable background. But bad if wm apps still shows up :) .

Guest tim1979

Hi,

For your question, its possible.

I assume u know how to add a widget.

add widget - > find the link/program , as for the build in samsung sms/mms should be name

"SMS-MMS" .

Add this and u can access the nice samsung interface to your SPB

For those call log etc... that is not listed in the program list from spb when adding widget,

What u need to do is to

1) Find those app name in \windows

2) create short link to "\windows\start menu\programs".

3) Add widget in spb , u will find them there.

Edited by tim1979