Samsung Omnia II

Guest Root-dir

just read that gsmarena article and all i have to say is WOW im going to buy stock in samsung....

my only complaint is the fact they got rid of my beloved optical mouse but it seems that some of the advances they have made on the software will allow me to forgive them it almost seems like the omnia 2 will be the final product and the orginal omnia was a really good beta

now if you will excuse me im going to go cry because it will be a long time before a cdma (SUPERIOR! minus that whole video call thing) version is released :D

Edited by Root-dir

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Heheh...looks like Omnia 2 or the Omnia Pro going to be my next phone. I going to wait on for the rest of the specs for both phone before I make a desicsion.

I still have a odeal about bigger screen and better camera vs dedicated keyboard and faster processor. SAMSUNG needs to release the rest of the detail so I can make my decision NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Another...HTC suck like hell... try the Touch HD and it lag like my Honda! I am ready to trade in my car and phone for something else faster and better.

Sorry guys......I just have to let it out. =)

hehe wanna buy my Boxster S 6spd. It is fast to make up the lag in the Omnia :D . If the Omnia II or whatever out there with at least a 3.7" AMOLED (an optional slideout keybrd for better gamming or texting), and a fast fluid UI (like iPhone or Pre BUT with multi tasking ;) ) with every apps similar to wm6.1 for the Omnia (any OS here), then I will swap it but what the heck it has been AGES and THOUNDSANDS (exaggerated here) of smart phones and so far NONE, yes NONE is the PERFECT one: a child of Omnia HD (big OMOLED screen, HD record) + Android (OS or wm for multi tasking and portable apps) + iPhone (fast fluid UI and nice form). If I were the chief designer I would build the world's first perfect phone like that.

One thing i noticed in the videos is that samsung again changed alot winmo 6.1 and in a way that i like.It seems a mix of mobile shell 3 with titanium.So i think that if i purchase one of these i will keep 6.1 for a while

Guest Foster318
silly question, is there any chance to change our omnia lcd screen to omnia 2 amoled screen?

Not possible, Omnia 3.2" screen and Omnia 2 3.7" screen. Probably different connection too.

Guest ronzo77

What a new phone will need to have over my Omnia to warrant replacing it:

- Better visibility under direct sunlight.

- More sensitive touchscreen.

- Higher resolution, with more colours, matching iPhone display.

- 3.5mm jack.

- Standard mini USB.

- Better video recording quality.

- Ability to remember camera settings.

- Built in memory which doesn't mysteriously dismount itself.

- Stylus slot.

- At least 2 days of battery life if just used for calling/sms-ing.

- No need to reset phone regularly otherwise strange things start happening, like memory leaks.

- Large user community like for HTC.

Better hardware specs doesn't mean jack if they can't plug some of the Omnia's current shortcomings. At the end of the day, I believe most users can live without the extra hardware bells and whistles, or they'll only need it 20% of the time when watching a movie on a long trip or trying out a PS emulator. I want my phone to answer a call when I need it to, take a good picture when I want it to, sync files to my PC when I want it to, play some music when I want it to, without any hassle or searching on forums for how to get it done right.

From reviews it looks like Omnia II only meets half of those, the rest uncertain. Wait and see....

Edited by ronzo77

Guest FerdiBorbon

HTC i believe is going to annouce a beast of a phone too this month, i wonder whats going to be a great upgrade, but AMOLED is too sexy to resist.

Guest lipobay

From YouTube clips the Omnia 2 i8000 looks like it DOES have:

- 8 Meg Cam, dual flash

- 3.5mm connection at the top, i think, the tilting of the phone in vids not great.

-Samsung have customized the Windows Start Menu, with there own sliding left to right catagorised menu system that looks editable - oh yes!!

- Lot cleared screen and looks alot more responsive.

- Cube interface and their own TaskFacade animated task manager for apps

It may not have a Snapdragon or Nvidia graphics backend, but heh, its getting there

-- beware Iphone Windows Mobile is gaining ground (shame it took the Iphone for MS to realise) and about bloddy time to!!!

OMNIA 2 looking good, have 9 months on my 18 month contract, so I've still time to ponder and my Omnia i900 I still luv and wouldn't swap for anything -- including an Iphone. Am sure upgrading to Omnia 2 won't cost a fortune like the Iphone 3G S (S for suckers!)

:D

Guest shokka9
HTC i believe is going to annouce a beast of a phone too this month, i wonder whats going to be a great upgrade, but AMOLED is too sexy to resist.

There's a couple new handsets to be revealed....mainly the Firestone (which i want, until i seen the Omnia II close up).

The Firestone replaces the Touch HD, it will have similar specs to the Omnia II also, but like you say the AMOLED looks amazing.

Also, there are quite a lot of WinMo devices coming out the back end of this year, just when my contract runs out (one of them :D).

Laters

Guest chokia

But im sure HTC phone lack behind of samsung on camera part, even VGA 30fps of Xperia look like crap.

htc-2009-rumor-15.jpg

Not to mention if it does come with flashlight.

Edited by chokia

Guest dwallersv

Lovely.

Yeah, but what happened to the slide-out kbd?!?!?? It's worrisome that such a radical change would be left out of this video review, so I'm confused.

Guest lipobay

INTERESTING OMNIA 2 vs IPhone 3GS Detail

OMNIA2

--------

Height:

118mm

Width:

60mm

Depth:

11.9mm

Weight:

123 grams

screen:

3.7 INCH

480x800 pixels

65000 colors (AMOLED / Accelerometer / Compass / Light Sensor)

IPone 3GS (specs direct from Apple site)

---------

Height:

4.5 inches (115.5 mm)

Width:

2.4 inches (62.1 mm)

Depth:

0.48 inch (12.3 mm)

Weight:

4.8 ounces (135 grams)

screen:

3.5 INCH

480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi

~~ DIMENSIONS-WISE SAMSUNG WINNING! ~~

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

IF AND ONLY IF it shows the same smooth fluid and precisely responsive UI like the iPhone and it does NOT slow down multi apps running at the same time, AND it does not crash or need a stupid soft reset once in awhile, then I really do NOT care about 8mpx camera, 3G in US, and I will more likely upgrade to it. But why it does not have the same internal 16G like the Omnia.

Guest Omniaaddicted
personnaly i m inlove of touch flow 3d....will it work on omnia II?????...if yes.. this is the perfect phone...

sorry for my bad english

of course dude....omnia II have 3D accelerators

Guest ronzo77
of course dude....omnia II have 3D accelerators

I thought the problem about porting touchflo 3d was compatible drivers, not actual hardware.

Guest Apo11on
i dont think sector will get one :D

I won't be either, but it is tempting..... :D

The camera has not been upgraded which is strange, they seem to of upgraded everything else. It looks coolio, the others (except Omnia II) are not worth the money really, imho.

Hopefully, they will be the same to cook for....lets hope for you guys that a kitchen is available soon, it should be very similar to the i900 one.

I might be tempted to buy one, but i want something else........ ;)

you sir, will get one whether you like it or not - our donations will make sure you do - after all somebody's gotta cook for it, right?

your statement the camera hasn't been upgraded isnt accurate - it may be the same 5mp as Omnia 1, but this time camcoder is better: 720x480 @ 30fps video recording, which is true DVD quality, as opposed to 640x480 @ 15fps lousy Omnia 1 video

Guest Apo11on
I wonder if Verizon will lock the GPS on this one as well...

today I contacted Verizon and asked just that, along with questions about availability date and upgrade options & cost from Omnia 1. Will post response once I get it. I just hope they dont ignore my request NOT to provide me with information about their Location Based Services, and the VZW Navigator crapware, which i've already read many times.

For those who are wondering - Omnia 2 info is no longer leaked, Samsung USA has officially announced Omnia 2 for Verizon network on Monday, June 15th. Engadget Mobile also confirmed the oficcial announcement.

Look for more info to come to Samsung's official page soon: http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2/

Guest Apo11on

Looks like the keyboard much better and bigger, especially in landscape mode. And FINALLY - proper Flash support in Opera 9.7! No more need to install Skyfire for Flash. Thanks for the videos - very informative.