[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest elminsterr

just my 2 cents here, buttttttttt if you really want android, for right now you can get a WAD2 skin =] i was just sitting here wishing i had android and then a light kinda turned on lol, i mean, its just a nice sub until someone gets this working =D great work, and i am really looking forward to this =]

Guest semmtexx
just my 2 cents here, buttttttttt if you really want android, for right now you can get a WAD2 skin =] i was just sitting here wishing i had android and then a light kinda turned on lol, i mean, its just a nice sub until someone gets this working =D great work, and i am really looking forward to this =]

Yeah except the android WAD2 theme sux and WAD2 is buggy as hell(at least the latest version i was screing with. I found recently that with all the freaking shells out there, all they do is suck up memory and battery life. I got stuck on SPB MS3 for a while and then that actually started giving me some pretty rough device errors as well. (black screen w/ red lettering). So, for now I just stick with the 6.5 titanium interface until Android really gets off the ground. Sorry for the rant...

Guest taki sobie user

Ok, cuz I wanted to try this one I've builded the newest svn revision (135) and I will share with ya :D

http://jabluszko.org/andromnia/

You need to download:

rootfs.tar.gz/bz2

default.txt

haret.exe

1. Format your microSD card to ext2. FeLLa_ advise Ubuntu Live CD (and "gparted" typed into console) if you are running under Windows©.
  2. Extract rootfs.tar.gz/bz2 into the root of card. There should be few directories (data, dev, sbin, proc etc)
    I was having some problems with card - I put the files from root account - it prolly that why it failed. Try to chown the files on the card to some 'normal' user.
    Ubuntu live is "chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu *"
  3. Copy haret.exe, default.txt and Image to the phone (not to microSD card, the "system" partition should be good).
  4. Run haret.exe and have fun ;)

Guest escobol
Ok, cuz I wanted to try this one I've builded the newest svn revision (135) and I will share with ya :)

http://jabluszko.org/andromnia/

You need to download:

rootfs.tar.gz/bz2

default.txt

haret.exe

1. Format your microSD card to ext2. FeLLa_ advise Ubuntu Live CD (and "gparted" typed into console) if you are running under Windows©.
  2. Extract rootfs.tar.gz/bz2 into the root of card. There should be few directories (data, dev, sbin, proc etc)
    I was having some problems with card - I put the files from root account - it prolly that why it failed. Try to chown the files on the card to some 'normal' user.
    Ubuntu live is "chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu *"
  3. Copy haret.exe, default.txt and Image to the phone (not to microSD card, the "system" partition should be good).
  4. Run haret.exe and have fun ;)

'

anything new in this rev??

edit: tested, i dont see any difference :D so waiting for HERO :o

Edited by escobol

Guest aceofrazgriz

The Hero UI (Sense UI as HTC calls it) is built specifically for that device, and won't be available for all Android phones (altho porting will be a possibility.) I wouldn't expect anything of that nature until the devs of this project get the phone fully functionally. Why make something pretty when it doesn't work right?

Guest whitj

this is a completely speculative question, but it could be a deciding factor for me in the near future:

Once everything is said and done and we get a reasonably functional Android OS on the Omnia i9x0, what is the likelyhood that you all will continue on to the Omnia 2 and get android working on that bad boy? I just don't want Windows mobile to ruin that beautiful device, and I don't really want to go to a blackberry just out of WinMo frustration!

Any comments are appreciated, and GOOD WORK TO ALL DEVS!!!

Guest Michael122w

I wonder if running Android on our ominia's will increase the colours on our display.

The omnia's screen is capable of displaying 256K colours, but Windows Mobile can only display 64K - hence we don't make optimal use of the screens capability. (see = http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i900_omnia-2422.php for specs)

So, will Android circumvent the Windows mobile limitations and give us better colour on the screen? The default backgrounds in Android look nice - but I can tell if they are better than WM!

Guest AndreLim

Is it normal to get permission denied when android is booting? If it isn't how do i give it permission?

EDIT

Never mind, i just reformated the ext2 partition and used "sudo nautilus" to set the permission to allow everyone to read and write.

Edited by AndreLim

Guest lorier
Is there any difference found yet? Is the touchscreen driver stable now or?

With this release, I haven't encountered the freeze problem and the touchescreen seems to work fine.

Guest renegadEE
With this release, I haven't encountered the freeze problem and the touchescreen seems to work fine.

Ok, will try it then and see for myself ;)

Guest Gary Crutcher

Thanks everyone for a great Android project.

Got it installed and it is beautiful!!!!!

Only thing I could not do under Win Vista was set the file permissions (used Paragon Part. Mgr. to create/format my

SD card; Installed ext2ifs to view/copy files to my SD card).

Once I set file permissions (sudo chmod 755 *) using Ubuntu under VMWare, it booted right up.

If I could have figured out how to set file permissions, I would not have needed Ubuntu.

Again, thanks for all the hard work guys.

Looking forward to Beta #1.

Gary

Guest aceofrazgriz

a quick peak at the changelog i noticed this:

"rev140 - drivers/power/sgh_battery.c battery voltage and percent working"

didn't see if they had rev140 for d/l tho. But they're still making progress. Gotta start with the basics. Also, rev 139 noted screen calibration.

Guest mnegutu

none of the new rev's are available for direct download but you can compile them for yourselves under linux. I can compile the image and rootfs if smb wants a newer version of the android, just post here if you want me to do that.

Guest joža
Is it possible to install applications at this point? If it is possible how do I do it?

it's possible from first release. download .apk files from some android apps site and copy it to storage card under /system/app and next time you boot they will be in menu. but most of them are useless (we dont have g-sensor for games, data connection for others and so on...). personally i played solitare and i must say it's much much better than the one on omnia... have fun;)

Guest joža
none of the new rev's are available for direct download but you can compile them for yourselves under linux. I can compile the image and rootfs if smb wants a newer version of the android, just post here if you want me to do that.

can you please make rev145 and keep them commin' in like every next 20 if it's not bothering you....don't know how to compile anything ;) tnx! :D

Guest mnegutu

yeah sure, just give me like 30 minutes to download the last rev and compile it, and i'll just upload it on megaupload or smth, and post the link. just check the topic in like 30-45 minutes because it takes a while to download all the stuff.

Guest joža
yeah sure, just give me like 30 minutes to download the last rev and compile it, and i'll just upload it on megaupload or smth, and post the link. just check the topic in like 30-45 minutes because it takes a while to download all the stuff.

thank you! ;) i would give you a kiss but probbably you're a guy and i like WOMEN xD :D

Guest wlogan

Hi all,

Thanks § Looking forward to d/l it ! ;o)

Guest AndreLim
it's possible from first release. download .apk files from some android apps site and copy it to storage card under /system/app and next time you boot they will be in menu. but most of them are useless (we dont have g-sensor for games, data connection for others and so on...). personally i played solitare and i must say it's much much better than the one on omnia... have fun;)

I did that but I can't see the application.

EDIT

Would a list of applications that work be useful?

Edited by AndreLim

Guest joža
I did that but I can't see the application.

hummm yes i had this problem also with apps created for i don't know newer or older release of android you should ask developers about that...

android is still alpha version so don't expect any miracles on it...try another app maybe you get luckier next time ;)

Guest mnegutu

Here you are, rev145: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MYGUI7VZ

Just unzip it, copy the haret folder wherever you want (except the sd card), and then the contents of the andromnia rootfs.tar.gz must be copied under linux to the ext2 partition. don't forget to unmount before disconnecting.

I haven't yet tested it but if there's a problem please tell me so i can take a look at it.

Oh yeah and run haret to boot it. More details and support at the project official page : http://support-koehler.de/andromnia/index....d39e86fddf8c151

LE: i tried to include solitaire and some apps but i think they need to be optimised, so they don't run, i'll remove them in the next release.

Enjoy.

Edited by mnegutu