[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest cooleydan5
Just wait man, it's an alpha version, it can totally destroy your phone. I really don't understand why you guys all want to test it, just wait for a stable version.

I really want Android too (that's why I donated as one of the first people on http://androidomnia.com/), but you have to wait.

yea ill probably just do that im just super stoked. WM is just boring compared to the android . but i still love my Omnia thanks! cant wait to see it fullly functional tho

Guest Omnia-Winker
Just wait man, it's an alpha version, it can totally destroy your phone. I really don't understand why you guys all want to test it, just wait for a stable version.

I really want Android too (that's why I donated as one of the first people on http://androidomnia.com/), but you have to wait.

Got to say mate, I dont agree with the comment about it destroying the phone.

It runs an application from the current OS you are running, and then loads Android.

I will try and knock up a how to guide tomoz as I found it bit difficult to start with.

and I guess those guys that wanna test it, are just really keen to see how far the developing team are working and have come from nothing, to what it is now a functioning OS.

Dont take offense at the comments though ;D

Guest cooleydan5
Got to say mate, I dont agree with the comment about it destroying the phone.

It runs an application from the current OS you are running, and then loads Android.

I will try and knock up a how to guide tomoz as I found it bit difficult to start with.

and I guess those guys that wanna test it, are just really keen to see how far the developing team are working and have come from nothing, to what it is now a functioning OS.

Dont take offense at the comments though ;D

that would be awesome! thanks i appreciate it . yea im just relly curious as to how far they have really come. i really just want to get hands on with it you know? well anyway i hope to see that guide whenever you can get to it thanks! ;)

Guest aceofrazgriz

lol its not going to destroy anything, even if it completely bombs and doesn't load for you. it doesn't even touch the phones memory at all, nor the phones built-in storage. only works of SD card (for now.) Even then, device memory will stay untouched for safety. Its fun to play with and see how the progress is coming if your have the know how. but really with not much working, its not worth much yet. keep on eye, they're making progress daily.

Currently working:

Touchscreen (and its calibrated)

Most hardware buttons

Battery driver

work in progress, but impressive and much to come.

Guest Zeski

Just a thought -since we're all going be using the same hardware (i900) - what's the point of everyone having to compile their own versions and go through all that trouble?

Can't someone just do an image dump of their SD card and post it on RapidShare or Mininova? I know that you need to do stuff with GParted... but I'm sure there's a way to capture, dump and restore that data that is much simpler than people like me, who don't have Linux installed atm.

Guest joža
Just a thought -since we're all going be using the same hardware (i900) - what's the point of everyone having to compile their own versions and go through all that trouble?

Can't someone just do an image dump of their SD card and post it on RapidShare or Mininova? I know that you need to do stuff with GParted... but I'm sure there's a way to capture, dump and restore that data that is much simpler than people like me, who don't have Linux installed atm.

it's no big deal but to developers it takes precious time and it's better for them to focus on work progress rather than compiling versions that will eventually go absolete. but we have our friend mnegutu

here and he said he's gonna keep us posted as soon as some bigger progress will be done and i think developers will also compile ona as on rev 103..

have a nice day:D

Guest joža
Can this be installed without using Linux?

yup, you just have to find a program to format it to ext2 and copy all the files on your sd card.

Guest Omnia-Winker

As promised

Step by Step Guide.

Please try it out and report back any problems......

Its a bit rought

http://www.2shared.com/file/6646939/13aac0...step_rev1a.html

or

http://www.leposse.co.uk/Andromnia_step_by_step_rev1.pdf

If you like it and would like to donate any amount no matter how small, I will ensure I keep it upto date.

Donate Here

EDIT: Updated Guide as some users reported broken links!

Keep me informed.

Edited by Omnia-Winker

Guest Gibeon
lol its not going to destroy anything, even if it completely bombs and doesn't load for you. it doesn't even touch the phones memory at all, nor the phones built-in storage. only works of SD card (for now.) Even then, device memory will stay untouched for safety.

you should not test every new image/revision out there... there are maybe lots of bugs in it and unstable kernel revisions maybe could brick your phone! we make new andromnia package if its time... testing every revision from any user could be ending in revisions chaos and lots of broken phones... be carefull

Guest mnegutu

@Zeski : i'll compile the images when something big comes along (like the battery driver in rev 145). You can find it here : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MYGUI7VZ and a guide can be found on this thread.

And there is no risk of damage being done to your phone, as the android does not touch the ROM of the phone or the contents of the main memory/my storage. It doesen't have any drivers to acces them anyway for the moment, and they're not even mounted. Just the ext2 partition is mounted, and the biggest risk when tinkering with android is probably just corrupting the ext2 partition, but repairing this is easy. Anyway i didn't hear anything happening to any user, and i have lots of friends that have tried this on their phones.

Edited by mnegutu

Guest cooleydan5
As promised

Step by Step Guide.

Please try it out and report back any problems......

Its a bit rought

http://www.2shared.com/file/6635905/91a4ac..._step_rev1.html

or

If you like it and would like to donate any amount no matter how small, I will ensure I keep it upto date.

Donate Here

OMG! ugh something does not want me to run android. i guess ill just have to waitfor full version or try tomorow. for some reason the ubuntu wont load. i select languange and enter run without installing then it says reboot CD was not succsesful. thanks very much for the instructions tho Winker. i'll try again tomorow when i have more time. i will definately donate. thanks again. oh and your link for the iso is dead. 404 not found comes up.

Guest Omnia-Winker
OMG! ugh something does not want me to run android. i guess ill just have to waitfor full version or try tomorow. for some reason the ubuntu wont load. i select languange and enter run without installing then it says reboot CD was not succsesful. thanks very much for the instructions tho Winker. i'll try again tomorow when i have more time. i will definately donate. thanks again. oh and your link for the iso is dead. 404 not found comes up.

bad news that mate, what language did you choose,

I've just updated the guide with a link to a iso hosted elsewhere.

Let me know if it improves

Guest mnegutu
if Im running android on my omnia will i still recieve texts and calls?

No, because Windows Mobile is shut down during that time. No drivers are running, hence the phone part will be turned off. 

Guest cooleydan5
... that one says the file is damaged and could not be repaird lol. it wont even navigate me to the page.

ok cool i got the gOS to work. and i followed all the instructions but when i got here i was confused.

Confirm you want to proceed-i did this

The MicroSD card will now be formatted to ext2- i did this

Click close on the popup- i did this

Exit Gparted-i did this

disconnect / Eject your MicroSD card- by this i unpluged the micro sd card, but i have a feeling this is wrong becasue now my card only has one folder titled lost and found

This will remount the MicroSD card

change back to the terminal window- i did this

type: cd Desktop (case sensitive)- when i typed this it said unknown file directory or somthing like that

cd andromnia_rootfs (Press Return)-same response

mv * /media/disk (Press Return)-same response

This should move the whole contents of the andromnia_rootfs folder on the desktop to the

MicroSD card - ext2 partition.

NOW IMPORTANT

Right click the MicroSD Card icon on the desktop and choose Unmount Volume - VERY

IMPORTANT

can anybody please help me cause now when i put my card back i my phone all my programs wont open. and the card wont even read. when i plug the sd cardback into windows it says the card has not been formatted. do you want to format to a Fat32? if i click yes everything will be lost. please help. im usually pretty good at flashing asnd hacking my phone but this is all new to me. please help!

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi,

Can someone tell what tools I need to develop/compile android for the omnia, and where to get the tools?

Thanks,

Gary

Guest mastakila

any news on project progress?

I'm checking changelog every day but it hasn't been updated for more than a week now...

I hope project is not dying...

my omnia is still in Samsung Service Centre but as soon as I get it back I will be testing android on it...

Guest aceofrazgriz
any news on project progress?

I'm checking changelog every day but it hasn't been updated for more than a week now...

I hope project is not dying...

my omnia is still in Samsung Service Centre but as soon as I get it back I will be testing android on it...

no update doesn't always mean no progress! with mostly big things left to get working, its going to take a good bit of time for them to get them functional.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good and free arm emulator so I can test/debug the andromnia code

before installing it on my i900?

Thanks,

Gary