[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest Compuse

NO IDEA WHY ANYBODY WANT AN ANDROID PHONE!!!, .. oh sorry about the caps!

I've been working with the i7500 and htc hero, both aren't as fast as i expected nor having more options that the basic windows mobile phone..

Layar, .. yea great fun, but it's only time that will give layar to the winmo peeps!

Guest shokka9
Shokka, slightly off topic, but hows the responsiveness and speed of the HTC Hero? Was thinking of getting the Hero as well to work alongside my Omnia.

Cheers

Its quicker than WinMo but in ways not expected...Internet is quick, the keyboards, typing is so much easier.

Its slower to boot than WinMo (well a customised WinMo). HTC takes forever to boot, they NOT are designed to be soft reset either.

I prefer the newer better designed UI of HTC more than Android. Android is quite dull personally thats why i got HTC Hereo, so i at least have M2D (SenseUI).

But after installing custom ROM to Hero, it is quicker.

WinMo wins hands down for real APPs, not gimmicks...But WinMo needs to get a grip, where is Layar or Quickpedia or any useful GPS location services?

WinMo for all it cash, still has the ugliest UI ever made, it looks like its from, the 80s. Android, Apple even Symbian look so much better and slick, and importantly NEW, its 2009, nearly 2010 and m$ have just released a touch frinedly UI....

WOW!!

Give Android another 12 months and it will be on more devices than we think.

Guest shokka9
NO IDEA WHY ANYBODY WANT AN ANDROID PHONE!!!, .. oh sorry about the caps!

I've been working with the i7500 and htc hero, both aren't as fast as i expected nor having more options that the basic windows mobile phone..

Layar, .. yea great fun, but it's only time that will give layar to the winmo peeps!

because its new, different, looks good, open source, customisable, etc etc...

have you used custom ROMs on your Hero & i7500? If not, then please do, it makes the difference. Trust, i know.

Guest Compuse

Yea I bet, but I sell those damn things! :) will be fooking with the warranty if I temper with the ROMS =/

But it's really really pathetic how slow some things are working, .. and it all feels kinda, static .. less dynamic as Windows

Guest Zealster

I went into a T-Mobile store the other day and played around with the HTC myTouch (g2, magic, ect) and personally didn't like it. I mean it could've been the test model, but I personally liked the Palm Pre better. But for now my Omnia works perfectly. :) Except the keyboard is hard to type on occasionally..

+1 for shokka, -1 for the smacktards like Adyz. Stop being a dopey ass, Adyz.

I don't know, what "smacktard" or "dopey ass" means, but I really didn't mean to be impatient or anything like that. I just asked if anyone could paste a link to some kind of changelog where I could keep track of dev team progress. Sorry if this was understood as being rude.

Guest cclafferty
I don't know, what "smacktard" or "dopey ass" means, but I really didn't mean to be impatient or anything like that. I just asked if anyone could paste a link to some kind of changelog where I could keep track of dev team progress. Sorry if this was understood as being rude.

Ignore semmtexx who has clearly ranted to show in some way he is superior to you with his incredible post count. You have not offended a single person and your point is valid. You are not the one to appologise. See the andromnia news on their website, you'll probably find more up-to-date knowledge there

Everyone is eager to see this project make some headway and if some people feel like saying "its dead" then I say fair play. They are only commenting on what they have been subject to...ie. not much, with a fairly dismal change log to back them up.

To rant on that people are selfish and make out that somehow such people are unworthy to receive the developers work on their omnia because they dont "appreciate hard work" when they simple state a slow down in productivity is absolute rubbish. If the project has lost some of its momentum then it is up to us to remind the developers how much we would like to see this project progress. Such statements as "its dead" are only used to trigger a counter argument ie. "No its not and for these reasons ....." which is exactly what everyone wants, more progress info! They are not used to offend, of which you semmtexx now look like an absolute ass kisser trying to defend against.

In your words, Andromia +1. Any other comment on this thread not helping its progression -1

Guest Zealster
Ignore semmtexx who has clearly ranted to show in some way he is superior to you with his incredible post count. You have not offended a single person and your point is valid. You are not the one to appologise. See the andromnia news on their website, you'll probably find more up-to-date knowledge there

Everyone is eager to see this project make some headway and if some people feel like saying "its dead" then I say fair play. They are only commenting on what they have been subject to...ie. not much, with a fairly dismal change log to back them up.

To rant on that people are selfish and make out that somehow such people are unworthy to receive the developers work on their omnia because they dont "appreciate hard work" when they simple state a slow down in productivity is absolute rubbish. If the project has lost some of its momentum then it is up to us to remind the developers how much we would like to see this project progress. Such statements as "its dead" are only used to trigger a counter argument ie. "No its not and for these reasons ....." which is exactly what everyone wants, more progress info! They are not used to offend, of which you semmtexx now look like an absolute ass kisser trying to defend against.

In your words, Andromia +1. Any other comment on this thread not helping its progression -1

So in defense of this thread, what exactly is the benefit of Android over Windows Mobile? Sure reliability, but what can Android do that Windows can't do, and can't be tweaked the same way to do? The only valid argument I could see is OpenGL performance vs WM. But as Android is progressing, so is WM. Albeit, a bit slowly. The core of WM is very customizable and all but open source. With Windows there is almost nothing we can't change to our liking with know-how.

Android seems to be a WM knockoff, so why should this project be furthered when WM is accomplishing the same thing? Other than the fact that it'd be ultimately cool to have Android work perfectly on a Windows-based device. And the fact that ParallelKingdom is available for Android. (Which is pretty much the coolest game that I totally want to play) But besides that, I don't see the point in furthering this project when we could make WM customization even better. I mean heck, anyone want to truly tackle the messaging inbox? That thing is a piece of work and Microsoft can take 5 minutes out of their day to improve it. BUT NO. Anyways, constructive criticism? Or more probably just wondering what Android has over Windows. Besides ParallelKingdom. That game is so cool..

Guest Ob1haze
So in defense of this thread, what exactly is the benefit of Android over Windows Mobile? Sure reliability, but what can Android do that Windows can't do, and can't be tweaked the same way to do? The only valid argument I could see is OpenGL performance vs WM. But as Android is progressing, so is WM. Albeit, a bit slowly. The core of WM is very customizable and all but open source. With Windows there is almost nothing we can't change to our liking with know-how.

Android seems to be a WM knockoff, so why should this project be furthered when WM is accomplishing the same thing? Other than the fact that it'd be ultimately cool to have Android work perfectly on a Windows-based device. And the fact that ParallelKingdom is available for Android. (Which is pretty much the coolest game that I totally want to play) But besides that, I don't see the point in furthering this project when we could make WM customization even better. I mean heck, anyone want to truly tackle the messaging inbox? That thing is a piece of work and Microsoft can take 5 minutes out of their day to improve it. BUT NO. Anyways, constructive criticism? Or more probably just wondering what Android has over Windows. Besides ParallelKingdom. That game is so cool..

Pretty simply WinMo has been in devices since 2001, and is currently on 'stable' release 6.5, Android has been in the wild for only 11 months - still very much in its infancy, when its market penetration and app list matures, it will be a very serious contender in the smartphone OS scene. When I look at Android I say "this is what they have managed in 11 months" when I look at WinMo it's "8 years and they still can't make a stable, stylus-free ui?". The massive interest in this project should tell you that WinMo users want a lot more...

Guest Grouper

I have Android on my Omnia, the current revision (I think, rev 9 from the SVN).

The camera, GPS, CDMA radio, power button, etc. don't work... still I would rather use this. I can't wait until it's in a usable state.

In the two to three hours that I messed with it, I didn't have to pick up a stylus once, and it was like that out of the gate when the first Android phone hit the streets. In fact, I could mash my finger flat down on everything and still not hit the wrong thing.

Edited by Grouper

I have Android on my Omnia, the current revision (I think, rev 9 from the SVN).

The camera, GPS, CDMA radio, power button, etc. don't work... still I would rather use this. I can't wait until it's in a usable state.

In the two to three hours that I messed with it, I didn't have to pick up a stylus once, and it was like that out of the gate when the first Android phone hit the streets. In fact, I could mash my finger flat down on everything and still not hit the wrong thing.

+1

Android is a fantastic platform. As Grouper has said, I found the Andromnia rev9 release easier to use than my WinMo. My only complaint is that I still can't hear calls, otherwise I would have switched. I don't care if I can't access Google Maps via HSDPA or have Bluetooth for my headset - for once I can write an SMS using one hand!!! I can actually use my phone while doing something else! The WinMo interface is so counter-intuitive that every interaction feels laborious and requires attention.

Microsoft has built a corporate product and is trying to sell it to the mainstream. WinMo is built, from the ground and up, to be used by Enterprise users who need ActiveSync, remote desktop, custom .NET applications etc. It isn't designed for rich multimedia use like MMS or audio playback, this much is clear when you try to type, when you simply look at the settings menu's and go "What the hell does any of this do??? I just wanna add my Gmail account".

WinMo is a very poor fit for Samsung Omnia, because it's specifications have been designed to be a rich multimedia/everyday fun phone. You can see this because, at it's release, it had the highest end camera, a flashligh and a ton of custom work on Samsung's part to drag WinMo 6.1 kicking and screaming into 2008.

So with this opinion, why did I buy an Omnia? I had faith in the open source community. I honestly believed that there were people out there with a similar opinion to me, that the Samsung Omnia was, and still is, a hardware powerhouse - it lacks only the OS to take it there. Yes, as the months

go by there have been ups and downs with the project. I've been watching it's development since I got my phone in March and there have been very clear ups and down.

A few months ago, the project seemed done for, there was no activity from the developers and believers like me desperately bookmarked every thread on every forum on Modaco, XDA Developers and pretty much anywhere that we could get a glimpse of new information. At this time, the developers were stuck at a shell and, from memory, they couldn't even send input.

Then, there was a breakthrough and the phone suddenly had a GUI, touchscreen support (that was more intuitive than WinMO) and eventually even basic GSM. They are doing this in their spare time and the sheer amount of work they've done tells me that the developers care about this project and that there is more going on than we know. If you put yourself into the shoes of a developer, every keystroke spent posting news updates, writing guides, troubleshooting user issues (user issues that are the same over and over and over again) is time spent not working on the project.

Kudos to the developers and thank you all of your hard work.

Guest semmtexx

Warrning: loss of patience and tact ahead:

First, these are called insults. I often use them for idiots who refuse to google. Secondly, @cclafferty: there are no feelings of "superiority" here. I am merely fed up with lazy, overly exuberant cluttering of this forum. For example, I have had enough of people posting the same moronic questions like "how do I get android working on my omnia?" I find people that refuse to do simple searches, or read the entire forum to find answers to their questions very rude and hard to tolerate.

Edited by semmtexx

Guest Undertow68
Warrning: loss of patience and tact ahead:

First, these are called insults. I often use them for idiots who refuse to google. Secondly, @cclafferty: there are no feelings of "superiority" here. I am merely fed up with lazy, overly exuberant cluttering of this forum. For example, I have had enough of people posting the same moronic questions like "how do I get android working on my omnia?" I find people that refuse to do simple searches, or read the entire forum to find answers to their questions very rude and hard to tolerate.

And "+1 for shokka, -1 for the smacktards like Adyz. Stop being a dopey ass, Adyz" is not "cluttering". Posting a +1 to any post is useless to say the least if you do not add useful information after it, and does more damage then someone ASKING a question. If you find them moronic then don't respond to them.

Guest eclsnowman

This topic has just become a flame and whine war. Ohh well I guess it is one less topic to keep checking. Some of the people in here need to chill the He|| out.

Guest johnsie

Shut up trolls, or as MR T. Would say,' fools'. Some of us have better things to do with our time than read pathetic ego-based arguments about internet etiquette, so go have your petty arguments elsewhere. I'm here to read about Andromia, not that BS.

Now that is out of the way, any word on the progress of this project? I've had android on my MicroSD card for a few months now and would like to migrate from winmo but need gprs internet and phone to work. Any sign of these issues being resolved?

Edited by johnsie

It looks like there's some activity on the Sourceforge page...

Maybe it's time to dump this thread and start fresh?

I haven't spoken to anyone but I'm guessing that Sourceforge is going to be the new platform for watching the project so it makes sense to ditch the current discussion and start anew once we get some info...

It'd be good too to anchor news into the first post as it looks like the OP of this thread isn't updating.