[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest whiplash000

The old svn is still up. If you're looking for its source, it's at https://dotpt.com/svn/andromnia/. We don't use it anymore, but if you want it it's still up. The latest revision is revision 9, which is also the latest release version available from our official site, andromnia.net. We are currently working on a git repository hosted on SourceForge (git://andromnia.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/andromnia/andromnia_31r6 for those interested). Also, the www subdomain does a proper redirect, so www.andromnia.net works now.

this is great news and I wanna try it out on my i910, but I don't have any linux machines. I'm on windows 7. How do I formart my SD card in ext2 or ext3?

EDIT:

okay, reading through this thread, looks like I have to use a Linux LiveCD to format my SD card and follow this below:

ok, here are my organized & detailed instructions.

Load ubuntu live cd.(no need to install linux, runs off cd)

Plug in omnia(make sure its in usb mode, and mass storage is set to the storage card.)

Load Gparted, (you can skim through the menu, it is called partitiion editor, or press alt + f2 and type "sudo gparted" )

In Gparted will need to create 3 partitions, primary partition ext2, extended partition, and the fat 32 partition within the extended block. Make sure you choose the proper drive from the menu usually on the top right.(you may experience issues making some changes to the partitions because the volumes are mounted, unmount them, and try again.. )

Press alt+f2 and type "sudo nautilus" then use that to extract/copy the files over to the card. (ON ubuntu, they dont have the usual way of gaining SU permission so you will get access denied if you try using the normal file explorer "nautilus" to copy the files over without the extra permission. Thats what makes Linux Safer.)(if you are using other flavors of Linux its a bit different to gain permissions and probably managed when you set up your users accounts)

After successfully extracting the contents of the rootfs file to the ext2 partition make sure you unmount the volume for the ext2 partition, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE FILES WILL NOT BE WRITTEN.

Instead of ALT+F2 : sudo xxx

you should do : gksudo thecommand

Edited by pules

Guest DirtDiver
this is great news and I wanna try it out on my i910, but I don't have any linux machines. I'm on windows 7. How do I formart my SD card in ext2 or ext3?

EDIT:

okay, reading through this thread, looks like I have to use a Linux LiveCD to format my SD card and follow this below:

ok, here are my organized & detailed instructions.

Load ubuntu live cd.(no need to install linux, runs off cd)

Plug in omnia(make sure its in usb mode, and mass storage is set to the storage card.)

Load Gparted, (you can skim through the menu, it is called partitiion editor, or press alt + f2 and type "sudo gparted" )

In Gparted will need to create 3 partitions, primary partition ext2, extended partition, and the fat 32 partition within the extended block. Make sure you choose the proper drive from the menu usually on the top right.(you may experience issues making some changes to the partitions because the volumes are mounted, unmount them, and try again.. )

Press alt+f2 and type "sudo nautilus" then use that to extract/copy the files over to the card. (ON ubuntu, they dont have the usual way of gaining SU permission so you will get access denied if you try using the normal file explorer "nautilus" to copy the files over without the extra permission. Thats what makes Linux Safer.)(if you are using other flavors of Linux its a bit different to gain permissions and probably managed when you set up your users accounts)

After successfully extracting the contents of the rootfs file to the ext2 partition make sure you unmount the volume for the ext2 partition, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS THE FILES WILL NOT BE WRITTEN.

Instead of ALT+F2 : sudo xxx

you should do : gksudo thecommand

Paragon Partition manager or a program similar will let you do it from windows, also if you google it you can get the drivers for NTFS support so you can modify your files from your windows pc natively

HELP PLEASE!!!!

I'm still getting this error

(...)

Freeing init memory: 120K

Warning: Unableto open an initial console.

Failed to execute /init. Attempting defaults..

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

_

I'm a total Linux newbie, so can some please give me exact step by step. I've followed all other instructions and I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks

Guest cclafferty
HELP PLEASE!!!!

I'm still getting this error

I'm a total Linux newbie, so can some please give me exact step by step. I've followed all other instructions and I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks

Check out how to build the linux kernel. I've just worked through it and have successfully got the kernel to boot.

Follow the older tutorials on how to partition your SD card. And make sure to UNMOUNT your SD card before you unplug it from your computer.

You should follow this approach from now on as the project has moved home and there have been a lot of changes to how Android works since the last release.

By all means however work over the quick tutorial that whiplash made and try to get it to boot. Don't expect to be able to swap WM for this just yet but at the least you will get used to compiling the kernel and testing it on your phone. If anything when a more stable release is out you should have no problems then getting it on your phone.

In other news - My experience with the latest code - revision 36r3 (i think)

Sound works which is GREAT but I wouldn't say this bleeding edge is ready to be released. After trying to make a call I couldn't hang up and eventually I lost connection to the network I was on. The phone heated up something fierce. It got to the point where I had to pull the battery out for fear it would start to cause damage. - After about 15-20mins (Phones working fine on WM again now after its cooled down)

Screen displays OK but the touch function is still a little laggy still (you'll be aware of this if you've used a previous release). - Drivers probably need tightened as project is tested more. Good news however is that with new kernel there are developer tools, including one for testing touch. Hopefully this will help with touch screen calibration.

I tried to send a TXT but it didn't go through. I think it was because I was not registered to a network after my problems with the phone call.

Didn't have much luck with the MIC just yet - wasn't heard on the other end of my phone call. I also couldn't hear anything from the person I called. I don't think they've got the audio for the mobile radio working yet but they're definitely going in that direction

So far, it seems to be shaping up so we'll have a basic functioning phone on our hands. I can't wait. Anything to get rid of WM

p.s. This development is awesome. Using it last night and looking at some of the drivers these guys have made really opened my eyes to how difficult this whole project is. Excited now for a stable release which wont LITERALLY burn a hole in my pocket. Keep up the good work guys

Edited by cclafferty

Guest mnegutu
Check out how to build the linux kernel. I've just worked through it and have successfully got the kernel to boot.

Follow the older tutorials on how to partition your SD card. And make sure to UNMOUNT your SD card before you unplug it from your computer.

You should follow this approach from now on as the project has moved home and there have been a lot of changes to how Android works since the last release.

By all means however work over the quick tutorial that whiplash made and try to get it to boot. Don't expect to be able to swap WM for this just yet but at the least you will get used to compiling the kernel and testing it on your phone. If anything when a more stable release is out you should have no problems then getting it on your phone.

In other news - My experience with the latest code - revision 36r3 (i think)

Sound works which is GREAT but I wouldn't say this bleeding edge is ready to be released. After trying to make a call I couldn't hang up and eventually I lost connection to the network I was on. The phone heated up something fierce. It got to the point where I had to pull the battery out for fear it would start to cause damage. - After about 15-20mins (Phones working fine on WM again now after its cooled down)

Screen displays OK but the touch function is still a little laggy still (you'll be aware of this if you've used a previous release). - Drivers probably need tightened as project is tested more. Good news however is that with new kernel there are developer tools, including one for testing touch. Hopefully this will help with touch screen calibration.

I tried to send a TXT but it didn't go through. I think it was because I was not registered to a network after my problems with the phone call.

Didn't have much luck with the MIC just yet - wasn't heard on the other end of my phone call. I also couldn't hear anything from the person I called. I don't think they've got the audio for the mobile radio working yet but they're definitely going in that direction

So far, it seems to be shaping up so we'll have a basic functioning phone on our hands. I can't wait. Anything to get rid of WM

p.s. This development is awesome. Using it last night and looking at some of the drivers these guys have made really opened my eyes to how difficult this whole project is. Excited now for a stable release which wont LITERALLY burn a hole in my pocket. Keep up the good work guys

could you please upload that rev onto megaupload or smth? both zImage and rootfs?

Guest cclafferty
could you please upload that rev onto megaupload or smth? both zImage and rootfs?

Certainly, and here you go. I used sendspace as megaupload was giving me problems:

Download Andromnia 36r3

(only zImage and rootfs included, will NOT work on its own without Haret)

Just remember that I wont be doing this for all revisions that the team are working on.

Use it, test it and give feedback and for the love of christ DO NOT ask me how to install it. There is enough of this over vast pages in this topic.

If you are truly interested in this project and want every single piece of cutting edge code then please follow the guide I mentioned above and compile this thing yourself.

Disclaimer: Not stable in the slightest and could possibly cause problems with your phone if code that has been written is still in experimental stages.

Run this at your own risk.

Guest mnegutu
Certainly, and here you go. I used sendspace as megaupload was giving me problems:

Download Andromnia 36r3

(only zImage and rootfs included, will NOT work on its own without Haret)

Just remember that I wont be doing this for all revisions that the team are working on.

Use it, test it and give feedback and for the love of christ DO NOT ask me how to install it. There is enough of this over vast pages in this topic.

If you are truly interested in this project and want every single piece of cutting edge code then please follow the guide I mentioned above and compile this thing yourself.

Disclaimer: Not stable in the slightest and could possibly cause problems with your phone if code that has been written is still in experimental stages.

Run this at your own risk.

thx a lot. i was building my own releases but for the moment my laptop that has linux on it broke down so i couldn't do it this time. but thanx for taking the time to upload this release and sharing it with us. when i get my laptop back i'll be available to build and upload future rev's for the users here. just post here when a new rev comes out and i'll try to upload it asap. 

cheers

Guest snoopy33

Hi,

I ve just compiled and test it.

So sound is Ok, I can t access wifi, wpa or open, don t hear sound during a call, and phone very very hot...

I read that battery driver was ok... does it means that it s not include on git ?

++

I have to say, I haven't been this excited about a project in a long time! Mainly because I have been half tempted to change phones lately, I have my Omnia about a year now and was actually thinking about getting an Android based phone, but if I had the option of using this instead on my Omnia I'd jump at it, there is just something about the look and feel of the Omnia that still gets me since Day 1! And that mixed with Android would just be 100%!

I messed around with it last night and had pretty much the same experience as other users.

Sound worked OK which was brilliant

Very smooth and responsive GUI

Text messages worked perfect for me

Phone made and received calls, but once in a call I could not hang up, I had to soft reset to get out of the call.

Calls came in ok, but with both calls in and out I could not hear what was being said, but there was some noise coming through the speaker, it was like a faint echo of what I was saying, so the drivers are trying to work somehow!

Phone got very,very hot like others said.

I was able to browse images and videos perfect, but once I played the a video the screen went black, but I could still hear the sound, Once the video was over, or I hit the call end button I would get the screen back.

Everything else, general browsing of the phone and changing settings, playing with the widgets etc all worked perfect for me. Can't wait to start using a usable stable release of this.

Still trying to get Android to run on my phone....I get to the "android" start-up page, but it continues to loop and won't start up. I don't know if mt sd card could be the problem.

I use to to run Android on my HTC Vogue previously. I was just wondering if anyway to help me out? Thanks

Still trying to get Android to run on my phone....I get to the "android" start-up page, but it continues to loop and won't start up. I don't know if mt sd card could be the problem.

I use to to run Android on my HTC Vogue previously. I was just wondering if anyway to help me out? Thanks

I encountered this problem when I downloaded the new source from git, but used the old Zimage by accident, it stayed in a loop like you said, but once I put the new Zimage on my phone it booted fine, could this be it?

yes this will fully support android apps cause it is and always will be fully android the only thing holding things back is from what I can tell the porting of certain drivers.... other than that we will all be rejoicing and finally be done with flashing our omnias 15-20 times a week.... ok well I hope no one really flashes their phones THAT much but yall know what I mean :D

Guest javikid
once this project is complete is there gna be an easier way to put it onto your omnia or will everyone still have to do it from scratch

wow, when when? this is great stuff

thks