[Project] ANDROMNiA - Android on Omnia

Guest FeLLa_

Guest peang

i think sciphone n21 almost have the same hardware spec. can you just use their android os and use it in omnia? or it still a lot of things need to be done? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest chopperthedog
i seen that chopper the dog posted somewhere recently about this project now being able to use the external speaker for audio now so i dont think its dead.

No, I was just being a smart ass :angry: . Thats like the 6th andromnia thread someone started over there.

Sound is the ONLY feature. Last action on project was january of 2010. I applaud peoples efforts but lets face it the omnia is not the device to do this on. It will never be able to be used on a day to day basis. At least not on the i900 or i910.

good day.

Edited by chopperthedog

Guest enjoy_mobility
No, I was just being a smart ass ;) . Thats like the 6th andromnia thread someone started over there.

Sound is the ONLY feature. Last action on project was january of 2010. I applaud peoples efforts but lets face it the omnia is not the device to do this on. It will never be able to be used on a day to day basis. At least not on the i900 or i910.

good day.

Sound is the ONLY feature?? :D

what about SMS feature?? is it works?? touchscreen and wifi?? i've read it works already... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chopperthedog
if any one can help for 7610 android plz reply

The cool thing. There are a number of devices that come with android already installed and all the functions work plus you can make a call.

good day.

Guest andrew.mazlim
The cool thing. There are a number of devices that come with android already installed and all the functions work plus you can make a call.

good day.

+1! :( Well said, indeed! "Android" (the original thing, fully working) is a "fairytale" for i900. Only some "hybrids" of it. So, 'choppertherdog' wrote it well. Buy a device with "Android" as UI.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Darkkk

Hi, guys!

Sorry for my bad English. Recently, the guys from Russia ported the android 2.2 on the omnia! The difference between the assemblies - android 2,2

Adapted by permission qwga...But many functions do not work. Take a look at the project page for more details ... Please, help us!!!!

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=111750&st=720

Video

Edited by Darkkk

Guest xylograph
Hi, guys!

Sorry for my bad English. Recently, the guys from Russia ported the android 2.2 on the omnia! The difference between the assemblies - android 2,2

Adapted by permission qwga...But many functions do not work. Take a look at the project page for more details ... Please, help us!!!!

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=111750&st=720

Video

Very Interesting,

Can you give us some more info about this project (since my russian is not so good :) )

What is working and what not ?

Thanks

Edited by xylograph

Guest Darkkk
Very Interesting,

Can you give us some more info about this project (since my russian is not so good :D )

What is working and what not ?

Thanks

Works:

+ Screen

+ TouchScreen

+ screen Illumination

+ Hard keys

+ Vibro

+ the battery Indicator

+ battery Gymnastics

+ SD card

Does not work:

-g sensor

-gsm

-wifi

-bluetooh

- sleeping mode

- processor (it is necessary to adjust work)

- sound

Sorry for my bad English :)

Помогите _)

Edited by Darkkk

Guest xylograph

Thanks for the quick reply Darkkk :)

I saw you also posted this news on the andromina forums and someone replied that

it is still using the same kernel which is missing a lot of 'drivers for hardware components'

So is there still any development for this going on somewhere to make things work (hardware drivers etc.) ?

It would be cool to have an option to run android on our omnia.

And yes there are a lot of phones which come with android already installed like someone above me stated,

but as you can see (for example htc hd2 which can run both os wm & android) it is cool to have both :D

regards.

I thought that this project was dead for a long time, its nice to see that some people are still interested in the omnia i900 and trying to port latest Os to work with it.

Have both omnia i900 and a HTC Desire, the omnia is being being used much lately, kept it for my flashing fun. wouldnt hurt to see android 2.2 or 2.1 running nicely on it. keep it up!

Guest Darkkk

Work goes also I think in the near future we will make the worker Android (and in general work on android 2.2 only has begun).

If something is added to worker from the list I will inform.

And so in adaptation plans such points:

1) Fasten SD card (works)

2) Make a sound

3) wi-fi

4) Normal work of the processor

5) Sleeping mode

6) gsm the module

But do not forget if there are people with experience HELP!)

Once again excuse for clumsy English -(

Edited by Darkkk

Guest Darkkk
I saw you also posted this news on the andromina forums and someone replied that

it is still using the same kernel which is missing a lot of 'drivers for hardware components'

If they not only spoke but also did...

Edited by Darkkk

Guest xylograph
If they not only spoke but also did...

Yes I understand it's difficult to make things work (I can't help there either since my knowledge of it is not good)

I just wanted to say that I think it's great that people are still working on it and I hope more people with

the right knowledge will 'join the club'

Thanks Darkkk for the info and letting us know the project is still alive :)

Waiting patiently for more..

Leave it to the russians... lol.

I thought salvation would come from the chinese to make the necessary drivers and improvement for android to run on our i900. But I guess they have their hands full on copying the iphone 4 :).

Anyway, if I look at what Darkkk said about what currently works and doesn't work I don't see much difference between the state of the Modaco andromnia project, except maybe vibration and sd card support.

I dream of this working someday, but I don't expect it to ever work like android should work. If someone proves me wrong then i'll be happy to use fully working andriod on my i900. But disregarding what the bunch of russians are doing, i don't see a chance of it in the future.

I will however, buy myself a nice android phone when my i900 finally breaks down. I don't expect that to be very soon :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zagzag99

It's unfortunately far from flawless.

I've tried today the ported android 2.2 from the Russian forum quoted above.

It took a while to set up.

Mostly the problem of arranging the SD card.

Then some 2-3 unsuccessful boots and then finally Android loaded. (it was funny how the screen was split into two)

What you get is to witness Android in slow motion.

The touch screen sensitivity is not good. You need to really press hard sometimes.

It's quite obvious the CPU can't handle the pressure... the phone heats up within a minute, and still the CPU can't react fast enough to the touches.

The Keyboard included is of HTC, and it's a bit offsets from the screen.

Barely managed to go through the initial Setup.

WiFi didn't work for me (although they claim it does in their forum).

GSM for sure not.

Sound I didn't experience at all.

At some point I got tired trying to wait for the screen react.

All in all, a nice attempt.

I would keep my eyes if they progress, wish them best of luck.

Most important will be that they make sure not to burn the CPU.

I send my 12 points to the Russian team to further their progress.