Omnia: full off bugs and worst user experience ever

Guest zappa2

Guest wisdome416
You could probably take your bad attitude elsewhere... those of us here love our phone and are quite happy with it. So in the meantime go smash your phone into the wall. Enjoi!

Hey! just srmash it right into your face, Omnia doesn't deserve to be in your hands, GET A LIFE

Guest Turborepu
It's dangerous to operate ANY PHONE in your car you IDIOT

I was gonna say get better suspension on your car, but this reply was much funnier! made me LOL..

Guest bpivk
I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not use this feature?

I'm with you. I don't use voice dialing. If I have to press a button to select voice dial why wouldn't I just click on the name i'd like to call.

Guest forelli
When driving nothing safer than voice dialing mates.

When driving nothing safer than paying attention to the street/road/path/etc.

Guest gianton
When driving nothing safer than paying attention to the street/road/path/etc.

Indeed, that's why voice dialing doesn't distract you from driving.

Guest monyozt

im using omnia and im so satisfy... best camera phone for PDA class... good sound quality... after upgrading to WM 6.5 khunchai's rom,, very2 improvement on touchscreen... :D

Guest bpivk
Indeed, that's why voice dialing doesn't distract you from driving.

I never use the phone while i'm driving and pressing the button to enable it is just the same as pressing the call button twice to call a person.

Guest jhils1

Havent been on here for a year or so and it seems to have been taken over buy mouthy yanks who dont live in the real world, worship the Omnia like a god, think all Winmo phones are perfect and if you have probs then its your fault and youre stupid or something.

All mobile phones have bugs, Winmo ones more so.

Winmo is far from perfect and its perfectly possible to like it but get frustrated with its faults.

I have loads of issues with my Omnia and I ve had Winmo phones for over 5 years, so its not that I cant cope with technology.

These forums used to be for help and advice, not for hurlin abuse at people or suggestin theyre stupid if they dare to say anything negative about their phone/Winmo, or even suggest it might be less than perfect. If you havent got any useful advice to help fix the bugs or solve the probs, DONT POST!

Edited by jhils1

Guest necosino

jhils1, it's the fact that most of the complaints are things that have already been addressed on this forum and solutions found. With a simple search, almost every one of those issues could be resolved.

Instead, the people choose to blaim the phone and call it worthless for their own lack of initiative to try to change something they don't like.

Guest ronaldb3
I'm with you. I don't use voice dialing. If I have to press a button to select voice dial why wouldn't I just click on the name i'd like to call.

Well to give you an actual real answer-

I use voice dialing with Voice Commander whenever I can in calling someone in my contacts. I have VC on the top right hand button. I really do not have to focus my eyes on the Omnia while driving to push this button. And then just a quick look to hit the speaker soft/screen button. Even with a contact in some sort of favorites, I think one would have to focus eyes for a longer time than with VC to find the exact contact line to touch.

IMHO,

Ron...

Edited by ronaldb3

Guest ronaldb3

"These forums used to be for help and advice, not for hurlin abuse at people or suggestin theyre stupid if they dare to say anything negative about their phone/Winmo, or even suggest it might be less than perfect. If you havent got any useful advice to help fix the bugs or solve the probs, DONT POST! "

Hi jhils1,

What did you expect to find in a thread with a title like this one - Some really complicated problem solved???

There are plenty of threads around here where exactly that IS being done.

This seemed to be started as more of a "thoughtful" thread, rather than a "technical problem" thread. I don't think this is too bad a thing as long as we keep mostly to helping people with their technical problems, and of course, the new cooked roms.

IMHO (I use this signoff for thoughtful, not technical threads),

Ron...

Edited by ronaldb3

Guest bpivk
Well to give you an actual real answer-

I use voice dialing with Voice Commander whenever I can in calling someone in my contacts. I have VC on the top right hand button. I really do not have to focus my eyes on the Omnia while driving to push this button. And then just a quick look to hit the speaker soft/screen button. Even with a contact in some sort of favorites, I think one would have to focus eyes for a longer time than with VC to find the exact contact line to touch.

IMHO,

Ron...

As i have stated... I don't talk while driving. Period.

Guest davidmrrr
Oh yes, another unforgivable flaw:

- No proper voice dialing support! This is a must for a touch screen phone..

Try to call or anything during a (bumpy) ride in your car (phone in holder of course).... it's even dangerous to operate this phone in the car.

Got my Nokia N85 yesterday and this is a TOTALLY different experience.

> GPS works like it should (quick fix)

> Much better battery life.

> Uses standardized micro USB connector.

> Built in FM transmitter to send audio to your car stereo

> Voice dialing without the need to first record voice dialing tag.

> Standard 3.5 mm audio connector.

> Regular updates (just downloaded update from Nokia server)

> Way better support by Nokia. They even have their own A-GPS server, so you can lock on via your LAN with seconds.

> Music and Picture browser which are truly user friendly and rock stable.

In general I you say, you can accomplish the tasks 3-4 times faster with the N85

No irritating behavior. It just does what you ask.

Nokia does not release 10 phones a month, but actually pays attention to the quality and usability of their phones.

Compared to the N85, the Omnia looks like an amateurish piece of shiit.

Zapp

uhhhh, built in microsoft voice command?

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

Ok obviously you got a very BAD phone so sometimes I got so mad at my Omnia (slow down a bit) I really wanted to smash it into the concrete wall or ground, but no because it has been such a very helpful portable device to me for the rest of everyday of mine until late at night it lies right next to me :D .

SO PLEASE SMASH IT HARD INTO THE WALL OVER AND OVER UNTIL YOUR CRAPPY PHONE DIES OVER AND OVER AND HIT RIGHT BACK AT YOUR FACE :D . AND ENJOY PICKING ITS PIECES UP AND THROW THEM AWAY ;) .

Guest Terminalx

Try to call or anything during a (bumpy) ride in your car (phone in holder of course).... it's even dangerous to operate this phone in the car.

> Way better support by Nokia. They even have their own A-GPS server, so you can lock on via your LAN with seconds.

In general I you say, you can accomplish the tasks 3-4 times faster with the N85

Nokia does not release 10 phones a month, but actually pays attention to the quality and usability of their phones.

Zapp

It doesn't even sound like you came looking for any kind of help, it appears you are gloating about your nokia phone?

Of course things are going to be different, the omnia is a touchscreen device your nokia is not - right there is going to cause a different experience

depending if you were using the stock rom (which I am assuming you were) also will give you a different experience from people on here.

what people fail to understand is how much you can do to this phone, so just because someone loves their phone and holds it in the highest regards could mean next to nothing for the next guy as each person customizes it for his/her needs.

Personally, I love this phone and how much I can do with it and I am pretty clueless when it comes to doing a lot of the work on here but I can follow directions when they make sense and the people on here are quite helpful so long as you are not demanding or believe everything should just be given to you.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Check.Check.Check.

The three-way adapter is awkward, but certainly no major deficit.Check.Check. Lots of different chargers on my end, most 3rd party. Never had a problem charging, with one exception that I'll post about in its own thread.Check.Check.Check.Check.Check.

In fact, the only app that doesn't go into landscape on my 6.1 Omnia is the Camera app.

This guy's smoking something.

Yup he is on crack!

Guest Henxu

Zapp

1. Omnia GPS isn't good enough to locate 5 GPS sats in less than 15 sec (ofc, with xtra gps activated = a-gps[i think so] )

2. It may have a better battery life because it isn't a touchscreen. The screen is 2.6" and Omnia's 3.2"... It's true that OLED is better than Omnia's screen blabla.

3. A point for you, nothing to complain.

4. I don't know about this :S, you mean use your phone as radio? Doesn't every car have one?

5. Install a voice dialer, free :=)

6. Another point for you.

7. "Regular updates". Not cooked updates. I think you know this because your phone has reset a lot of times because of the first N85 firm...

8. Don't we have support from our cookers, way better?

9. It's WM vs S60 , a touchscreen vs not touchscreen, very fair.

I have used a N85 for a while (my friend's one) it may do what you want, just because these mobiles doesn't run the same OS, think if Omnia were running S60, it would kick ALMOST all devices which run S60 just cuz of the CPU.

Compared to the Omnia, the N85 is just another mobile. This is the truth.

[btw, sorry for my English...]

Guest justpratik
Hi,

before I will smash my Omnia to the wall, I want to share the issues it has with you all:

- Crappy GPS receiver that locks only after half an hour without extensive tweaks. (or use expensive A GPS)

- Battery life of half an hour when using GPS (serious)

- Shares charging connection with audio/video data, which renders it useless for many applications. (battery dies..)

- Un-optimized Windows mobile interface, causing many unwanted programs launches etc. and uses

many small crosses and ok's to close applications / confirm stuff.

- Is very picky on what it charges on. Even gave trouble with a Samsung branded car charger!!!

- Very few official updates from Samsung.

- Buggy picture and audio file / media browser.

- Can only access memory card with usb connection to PC

- After some time phone will get very slow.

- Call menu will not turn to landscape mode.

etc. etc. etc.

In other words: if you are used to a normal phone with buttons, this phone might frustrate the hell out of you.

Please be warned.

I know that you could tweak the hell out of this phone, but I you don't want to spends days and days on this,

the phone will keep sucking big time. (after tweaking too imo)

Lately Samsung is only spending money to marketing and releases crappy phones like this.

They do not understand the meaning of a good out of the box user experience.

Bye,

zappa

- Crappy GPS receiver that locks only after half an hour without extensive tweaks. (or use expensive A GPS)

they have solved that check the threads.

you are using old version update with latest one

- Shares charging connection with audio/video data, which renders it useless for many applications. (battery dies..)

i belive it problem. but dlna/a2dp/wifi is there.

- Un-optimized Windows mobile interface, causing many unwanted programs launches etc. and uses

many small crosses and ok's to close applications / confirm stuff.

that is the problem in windows mobile os not in samsung omnia.

- Is very picky on what it charges on. Even gave trouble with a Samsung branded car charger!!!

all things are not specially built fo everyone

- Very few official updates from Samsung.

use modaco's custom roms. plenty of roms there

- Buggy picture and audio file / media browser.

let me know wat the bug is. i didnt find

- Can only access memory card with usb connection to PC

you can toggle it by Start-Setting-System-usb connection mode.

- After some time phone will get very slow.

are you running lots of application. just close all unwanted application frequently

- Call menu will not turn to landscape mode.

yeah thats the true/

etc. etc. etc.

Nothing is good. nothing is bed.

it is just our vision.

Guest AngusATAT

My Omnia may not be perfect, but it does what I need it to do. My Omnia is my phone, my PDA, my MP3 player, my movie player when I'm flying for business, my camera that I use when I'm out in the field, my GPS device, and more.

Any minor gripe I have with my Omnia is something I can live with until the next generation of Omnias comes to Verizon.

Guest ronaldb3
My Omnia may not be perfect, but it does what I need it to do. My Omnia is my phone, my PDA, my MP3 player, my movie player when I'm flying for business, my camera that I use when I'm out in the field, my GPS device, and more.

Any minor gripe I have with my Omnia is something I can live with until the next generation of Omnias comes to Verizon.

+1

A couple of more points:

I did not see anyone mention BlueTooth. Does the Nokia have BT??? (I use BT for headphones and some printing. Bet the Nokia can't print :D )

On the other side, I do not like the one do everything port, but no far no real problem.

And he might have not described the SD problem very well. That is my big gripe. SD access is inside. But with 8gig card, not too many needs to change to a backup card. I am using the direct usb connection more now though where with other devices I would have popped the SD card into my pc card reader.

IMHO,

Ron...

Guest jhils1

you are using old version update with latest one

Lucky if you can, I ve reflashed ROMS before, but nothing happens on mine. It just resets and then sits there. Hours later nothing

Guest ^nighthawk^

I've found my omnia a steep learning curve tbh coming from a standard mobile phone.

However i am an IT Tech and I love exploring things, so i've found it great so far, i still have issues but the fact i can tweak this phone and load my own useful tools on to it, is brilliant.

Quite honestly the stock Omnia ROM sucks, within a week and a half i updated to DXID1 from Secany - following the instructions in the sticky thread.

That was a lot better.

Now i am trying out WinMo 6.5 Roms - so far its even better in functionality than the DXID1 if not quite as battery friendly.

Now working on custom apps, tweaking registy settings to how i want it.

Just like you have to do with any computer operating system if you want it to be usable for you and not slow down over time and fill itself up with trash.

This ever happen to your PC? I bet it has, cause you dont seem to want to put the work in to get the experience you desire.

If you dont want to put any sort of work in like that, you bought the wrong phone and clearly didnt know how what the phone was about before you got it.

Guest bawdiest
No phone is perfect but you can tweak some phones to perfection. I have to say that I never found one bug that bothered me and i don't know if it even was a bug. And 6.5 roms are great but you can't expect a rom to be bug free if it's home cooked.

You can decide if you want a phone that you can tweak (and also break with the tweaks) then go for winmo or android. If you just want a phone go for symbian or iphone.

I followed your advice and got iphone. And I am very happy with this phone. The 3gs one is able to do all the things I was able to do with omnia (navigation, Geocaching, Outlook synchronization, PC remote control, A2DP, DLNA (Connected home), geotagging (also with Ixus digicam and camcorder) etc. etc.) but much much better. There is no need to tweak something. All applications and solutions work just out of box as I expecting they should work. The only thing is missing on iphone is playback of divx movies, but an iphone version of coreplayer will be released soon.