Freeware game/application: PocketZax

Guest AdamDawes

Guest AdamDawes

Hello,

I thought some of you may be interested to know about another freeware game/application I released yesterday, called PocketZax.

PocketZax is an interpreter for a large number of Interactive Fiction ("adventure game") titles. It is able to play Z-Machine games, which include all of Infocom's classic games, and also an enormous number of games that have been created more recently using Graham Nelson's excellent Inform application.

PocketZax should provide you with hours of entertainment -- make sure you take a look at the Interactive Fiction Archive Games section for hundreds of games to play on PocketZax.

PocketZax should support all V1 to V5, V7 and V8 games, including the original Infocom titles (though I've not tested it on a huge range of different titles so please let me know if you encounter any problems).

The Z-Machine engine used by PocketZax (ZaxCS) is based entirely upon the "Zax" interpreter written by Matt Kimmel -- many thanks, Matt! ZaxCS is a port of Matt's original version into C#. I will release the sourcecode for this at some stage in the near future.

PocketZax is compatible with all devices running Windows Mobile 2003SE or later, and will automatically scale to your screen resolution. It is available to download now from my web site:

http://www.adamdawes.com

winmob_games_pocketzax_thumb1.pngwinmob_games_pocketzax_thumb2.png

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, comments or other feedback -- thanks!

Adam.

www.adamdawes.com

www.icangames.com

Guest AdamDawes

Today I released PocketZax v1.1 with the following enhancements:

• Added compatibility for Smartphone devices (this is still a little preliminary but should be enough to get PocketZax up and running).
  • When large blocks of text are displayed, now pauses after each full screen of text so that you can read it. Pressing any key will move on to the next page.
  • Added a command history -- press the up and down keys to scroll through previously-entered commands.
  • Added a History window. Select this from the menu to re-display previously shown text.
  • Fixed a problem which occurred after the output text got excessively long.
  • Fixed a problem opening a new game when the current game had a multi-line status bar.

Download available from my web site at http://www.adamdawes.com.

Adam.

www.adamdawes.com

www.icangames.com