VZ Navigator is working

Guest strychnine

Guest strychnine

VZ Navigator is now working with the CC20 ROM. I downloaded the latest version yesterday and installed it. The install removes the old version and loads the new 4.1.5 version. To my surprise, not only did VZ Navigator start working flawlessly again, but Google Maps seems to get an aGPS type satellite lock. I observe an instant lock, as soon as Google Maps opens. Looks like Verizon fixed the aGPS issue on their end, not only allowing VZ Navigator to work again, but somehow embedded the fix in the VZ Navigator install, opening it up to third party applications as well.

Edited by strychnine

Guest blazingwolf
VZ Navigator is now working with the CC20 ROM. I downloaded the latest version yesterday and installed it. The install removes the old version and loads the new 4.1.5 version. To my surprise, not only did VZ Navigator start working flawlessly again, but Google Maps seems to get an aGPS type satellite lock. I observe an instant lock, as soon as Google Maps opens. Looks like Verizon fixed the aGPS issue on their end, not only allowing VZ Navigator to work again, but somehow embedded the fix in the VZ Navigator install, opening it up to third party applications as well.

Pictures please.

Guest strychnine

By the time I figure out how to prove this with pictures, half the forum will have installled the new VZ Navigator file and confirmed it.

Guest blazingwolf
By the time I figure out how to prove this with pictures, half the forum will have installled the new VZ Navigator file and confirmed it.

That's the answer I expected. Thanks.

Guest strychnine

I don't know how Verizon did it, but it's working like a champ. What's weird is, I believe I already had version 4.1.5 of VZ Navigator already installed from several months ago, but when I re-downloaded it yesterday, and then re-installed it, the setup looked different, and it worked instantly. Go figure.

Guest strychnine

Actually, it's the straight up CC20 that was leaked. I didn't install any of the cooked ROMs, cuz I was waiting for an official Sumsung release. On that note, I did talk to Samsung's Technical Support and they did say to expect one on their website (Omnia Page) in the near future, but no date. I asked if they were mearly speculating, and the individual stated that they were indeed not speculating. I guess time will tell with regard to that nugget of information.

Guest strychnine

Google Maps sure locked on like it was aGPS. It found me in my basement in under five seconds after opening the program. Maybe if your a paying VZ Navigator customer, Verizon offers the aGPS information up to the third party software that's installed on the phone. Just a thought.

Guest image911

Yeah... when using the GPS on the cracked 6.1 Verizon Wireless Omnia i910 on my device gets REALLY hot. What's more - if I tapped on the START button in the upper left corner, the button freezes with a white sort of halo... and refuses any further action. I often have to turn off the phone and let the device cool off and then reboot it. Sucks to have to do this all the time.

Edited by image911

Guest Adrynalyne
Yeah... when using the GPS on the cracked 6.1 Verizon Wireless Omnia i910 on my device gets REALLY hot. What's more - if I tapped on the START button in the upper left corner, the button freezes with a white sort of halo... and refuses any further action. I often have to turn off the phone and let the device cool off and then reboot it. Sucks to have to do this all the time.

That wasn't really what I was referring to when I said warm GPS ;)

Guest strychnine

Just noticed that when VZ Navigator is running in the background, Google Maps is given access to aGPS tracking when tasked to determine your location. If VZ Navigator is not running in the background, normal satellite positioning is used. Pretty cool. Gotta pay for VZ Navigator though to get that functionality.

Guest SoupAssassin

I think this was all a good move on Verizon's part. Now before someone shoots me hear me out. Now, for just $10 a month we get the awesome functionality of VZNav (which is actually really good, runs slick as hell with this update), along with the ability to use regular GPS with things like Google Maps. Now you might think why pay 10$ a month for something that should be free. Well, how much money does a GPS unit cost? They reach upward of a grand for nicer ones, plus some require other fees and charges. Honestly, for someone who only uses gps once in a blue moon, especially turn by turn, I have no qualms paying 10 bucks a month for both aGPS and regular GPS, in the long run for me, I'm still getting a better deal as opposed to going out and buying a regular GPS unit.....simple as that.

Guest bga7x
I think this was all a good move on Verizon's part. Now before someone shoots me hear me out. Now, for just $10 a month we get the awesome functionality of VZNav (which is actually really good, runs slick as hell with this update), along with the ability to use regular GPS with things like Google Maps. Now you might think why pay 10$ a month for something that should be free. Well, how much money does a GPS unit cost? They reach upward of a grand for nicer ones, plus some require other fees and charges. Honestly, for someone who only uses gps once in a blue moon, especially turn by turn, I have no qualms paying 10 bucks a month for both aGPS and regular GPS, in the long run for me, I'm still getting a better deal as opposed to going out and buying a regular GPS unit.....simple as that.

Whats even better if you dont use it that much you can do a 2.99 for a day and only use it when you really need it!

Guest POMF
Or maybe the GPS was warm because of VZNav, and allowed GMaps to lock on?

That seems far more likely.

Obviously this is the case. But it was great to get a laugh out of the original post. I highly doubt that anyone would be satisfied opening VZNav (or even installing it for that matter) before google maps. Once the GPS is locked it's easy to get a location with any program. I find if I open live search first then google I get a lock quickly (for some reason live search is faster even with same settings).

Guest balaams_ass

Is it stating the obvious to conclude that VZNav working on the "leaked" ROM is an indication that they are (or have) modifying VZNav to work on the heretofore yet unreleased upgrade ?

Guest jaycarl

Can someone please explain the benefit of using VZnav when the leaked rom already enabled GPS?

Faster locks (not much faster) and locking on sats in the basement (needing GPS to get from one room to the other seems strange) just doesn't seem worth $120 every year.

I lock on to sats when im driving in about 15 sec. About 30 sec when im standing outside getting ready to jog.