How powerfull is Snapdragon? Very!

Guest jamjamjam

Guest jamjamjam

Hi all

Very interested in getting one of these, so I've been doing a bit of snooping on performance of this beast!

SNAPDRAGON @ 1GHZ = 2100 MIPS (Link)

Samsung Omnia @ 624 MHZ = 800 MIPS (Link)

Iphone 3GS @ 600 MHZ = 1200+ MIPS Link)

INTEL ATOM @ 1.6 GHZ = 3800+ MIPS (Link)

so.. its about as powerful as a Intel Atom @ 900 Mhz!

I'd just like to point out that I don't know that much about computers, so comparing MIPS as a measure of performance may not be entirely accurate! I'm sure someone could enlighten us? At least its good for ripping Iphone 3GS users who think they're device rules the roost!

Also, Iphone 3GS GPU is capable of 7 Million triangles per second (Link) whereas the TG01 beats it again, capable of a whopping 22 Million triangles per second (Link)

I hope someone found this interesting? ;)

Edited by jamjamjam

Guest deadphill
That said, it's pretty damned fast tho! ;)

P

Agreed

An almost doubling of clock speed is going to make some difference. Obviously available amount of RAM and storage space also helps! :D

Cheers

Phill

Guest Wishmaster89

Actually 3GS uses sgx535(anandtech was completely wrong with their article...) which is better than sgx530 that comes with Pre and better than AMD z430 GPU that is used in snapdragon so the graphic performance is better on 3GS

Guest roteplex

Wishmaster where are your sources>?? You cant claim that the iphone's graphics capability's are higher than the TG01's without detailed benchmark results, and secondly the differences between the sgx530 and sgx535 are entirely negligible, in all practical applications they are the same chip.

Guest Wishmaster89
Wishmaster where are your sources>?? You cant claim that the iphone's graphics capability's are higher than the TG01's without detailed benchmark results, and secondly the differences between the sgx530 and sgx535 are entirely negligible, in all practical applications they are the same chip.

Check glbenchmarks results and see for yourself that iPhone uses sgx535 and compare it to omniaHD to see the difference.

Guest SinSilla

Hey Wishmaster! ;)

Actually Roteplex is right, there are no reliable benchmark results of the Z430, further more is there almost nothing we know about the Z430.

This is all we have for now, and almost nothing of it is verified.

- AMD Z430, based on ATI Imageon Series, supposed to be related to ATI Xenos (XBox360 GPU), AMD/ATI Mobile Graphics Divison has been bought by Qualcomm

- Open GL ES 2.0 Support

- Single Pipeline, Tile Based Rendering

- capable of up to 22 M triangles/sec & 133 M 3D pixels/sec

And there is no processed GLBenchmark of the TG01, i have two in the Pipeline since some days, but the results are too weird to be true.

Swapbuffer is limiting at 99, therefore limiting the overall 3d performance which gave the 3GS a performance advantage of factor 50-75. (see Resutls of Acer F1, also using the Snapdragon). There is no way that the SGX535 is performing 75 times better than the Z430 with the technical specs stated above.

Unless there is a firmware update / driver update, there is no way to compare those phones.

Edited by SinSilla

Guest Wishmaster89
Hey Wishmaster! ;)

Actually Roteplex is right, there are no reliable benchmark results of the Z430, further more is there almost nothing we know about the Z430.

This is all we have for now, and almost nothing of it is verified.

- AMD Z430, based on ATI Imageon Series, supposed to be related to ATI Xenos (XBox360 GPU), AMD/ATI Mobile Graphics Divison has been bought by Qualcomm

- Open GL ES 2.0 Support

- Single Pipeline, Tile Based Rendering

- 600 Mhz Core Frequency, capable of up to 22 M triangles/sec & 133 M 3D pixels/sec

And there is no processed GLBenchmark of the TG01, i have two in the Pipeline since some days, but the results are too weird to be true.

Swapbuffer is limiting at 99, therefore limiting the overall 3d performance which gave the 3GS a performance advantage of factor 50-75. (see Resutls of Acer F1, also using the Snapdragon). There is no way that the SGX535 is performing 75 times better than the Z430 with the technical specs stated above.

Unless there is a firmware update / driver update, there is no way to compare those phones.

I'm not saying that sgx535 is 75 times better than z430. What I'm saying is that even on paper 535 has better performance than z430(which I think has some drivers problem but I'm not sure who is to blame). Thats all I'm saying.

Actually you are wrong with the clock speed. It is 133 Mhz not 600. If it was 600 it would put it in line with desktop GPU's.

Guest SinSilla

Again, where is the source for your statement? 

And i know that you didn´t say that it performs 75 times better, i said that because i did the benchmark.

(If you have a look at the Snapdragon Page it clearly says that the 8250 Chipset features a 600MHz DSP.

That alone doesn´t put it in line with desktop gpus.)

But i think i misunderstood the DSP part, which has nothing to do with the gpu i guess? Jeah, i was wrong there...

But nevertheless, i would like to see where you´ve got your information from.  

€: Okay, i´ve found a document which hints thats the AMD Z430 could be Qualcomms MSM7850 LT, but i wasn´t able to get any further information regarding technical details like the core speed. On top of that all information and documents are at least 1 year old

It´s so annoying when you have to dig so deep to get any information. :/

Edited by SinSilla

Guest Wishmaster89
Again, where is the source for your statement?

And i know that you didn´t say that it performs 75 times better, i said that because i did the benchmark.

(If you have a look at the Snapdragon Page it clearly says that the 8250 Chipset features a 600MHz DSP.

That alone doesn´t put it in line with desktop gpus.)

But i think i misunderstood the DSP part, which has nothing to do with the gpu i guess? Jeah, i was wrong there...

But nevertheless, i would like to see where you´ve got your information from.

€: Okay, i´ve found a document which hints thats the AMD Z430 could be Qualcomms MSM7850 LT, but i wasn´t able to get any further information regarding technical details like the core speed. On top of that all information and documents are at least 1 year old

It´s so annoying when you have to dig so deep to get any information. :/

I'm using informations I've gathered from beyond3d.com forum and yes you misunderstood DSP with GPU.

That document you found is old and wrong. There is no msm7580 it was supposed to be a lower end snapdragon SoC but in the end they didn't release it.

z430 is one of the highest end AMD mobile GPU(we know about 2 GPU's but they maybe developed something that they didn't have time to show) that they developed before selling imageon to qualcomm, the second one is z460 which is probably used in snapdragon2.

Informations about SGX can be found on wikipedia. There you will see what's the performance difference before 530 and 535.

For the record I'm not saying z430 is bad it is just that sgx535 is better but sgx530 is worse so standard omap3 is overall worse platform than snapdragon ;)

Guest SinSilla

Wishmaster, i hope you know that i´m not going to do the following because i want to argue with you... ;)

But, i´ve found the document in the beyond3d thread, and yes, i know that it´s old, that´s what i said as well. But it´s also the only post on Beyond3d (which i found) where someone mentions that the z430 would run with 133Mhz, and that was related to that one document and the MSM7850. I mean this post. 

Is this the source you´ve gathered your information from or is there any other that you could link? Like i said, don´t want to argue, i just want to get the facts right. And what that guy was posting was nothing more than a suggestion.

And i did my research on the sgx, which is far more easy to do. But i´m only interested in the Z430 right now... 

Edited by SinSilla

Guest Wishmaster89
Wishmaster, i hope you know that i´m not going to do the following because i want to argue with you... :)

But, i´ve found the document in the beyond3d thread, and yes, i know that it´s old, that´s what i said as well. But it´s also the only post on Beyond3d (which i found) where someone mentions that the z430 would run with 133Mhz, and that was related to that one document and the MSM7850. I mean this post.

Is this the source you´ve gathered your information from or is there any other that you could link? Like i said, don´t want to argue, i just want to get the facts right. And what that guy was posting was nothing more than a suggestion.

And i did my research on the sgx, which is far more easy to do. But i´m only interested in the Z430 right now...

Here you can find another post from beyond3d.com forum made by Arun, who knows what he is talking about, saying that z430 will run at 133mhz.

Can't remember all the places from which I gathered my information but probably we both searched in the same places ;)

Only thing I can send you is this pdf file.

It clearly states that all current GPU's used by qualcomm are called adreno and adreno2 means openGL ES 2.0 so z430 is adreno200 but don't know if 210 is z430 at 45nm or something else and the same goes to 220(if it is that GPU used in snapdragon2 or something even better). Not much but still good to know that qualcomm is being serious with graphics this time :D

Guest SinSilla

Thx for posting this mate, i have never heard the adreno reference before (seems that this reference was my personal "missing link"). So i finally know what to do in the office. ^^

Edited by SinSilla

Guest oalex
When Samsung put a SnapDragon (and WinMo 7) in the Omnia HD ....... it will be the phone that rulez then all !! ;)

That is only if they put the MicroUSB port at the bottom, not the top (as they did now) and of curse without the crazy plastic cover. So we could dock it in car or at home on cradle.

What a stupid decision they made again. Last time (first Omnia) it was not including a build-in/slot in stylus.

I am not a perfectionist like you, but it still bothers the hell out of me.

Edited by oalex

Guest SinSilla

Hey guys,

i have just read out the D3DM Caps and this is what i got back.

# Direct3DM caps

**AdapterIdentifier:

Driver="YAMATO_D3DM", Description="AMD Yamato D3D Mobile Driver"

Product=0, Version=0, SubVersion=1, Build=0

VendorId=0, DeviceId=1, SubSysId=0, Revision=131329

Quite confusing, since the only Yamato reference i found is from 2005, stating that AMD is going to release a notebook reference design to developers under the codename Yamato.

Wishmaster, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wishmaster89
Hey guys,

i have just read out the D3DM Caps and this is what i got back.

Quite confusing, since the only Yamato reference i found is from 2005, stating that AMD is going to release a notebook reference design to developers under the codename Yamato.

Wishmaster, any ideas?

hmm I haven't heard anything about Yamato... and believe I have searched almost whole internet looking for some more detailed informations about snapdragon.

Guest SinSilla

Ty for your Reply Wishmaster, i hope there will be more info available soon for us.

In the meantime, for those interested, my TG01 GLBenchmark results have finally been processed and are now available for the public.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Toshiba%20TG01

#12 on overall result database

But i you have a closer look at the TG01 results (low level 3d!!!) you can see that there is something wrong, really really wrong.

I contacted Southend, the developer of the upcomoing Electopia Game, since they are obviously working with the Adreno Core (and since Toshi, AMD/ATI, Qualcomm didnt reply to any email they are my last hope in the moment ^^), lets see if they bother to reply.

Edited by SinSilla