Is their a way to disable auto sync

Guest wizgnome

Guest wizgnome

Has anyone found a way to disable the auto syncing "Bug" in active sync. Old versions could be set to only sync manually. but Microsoft crippled active sync by disabling this option.

I really hate the fact that if I connect my Smartphone to my PC for charging, copying files or installing software it insists on attempting to sync every 5 minutes.

This usually results in the file copying failing, or at best slowing it down. I only want to sync the phone every day or two, certainly not every five minutes.

The best option I can find is to only create a guest partnership and not sync anything from my windows PC - I also have a MAC and use Missing Sync to sync Contacts, Appointments, Files, Music, Pictures and SMS/call logs - much better than what Microsofts crappy active sync application can do.

Edited by wizgnome

Guest Alshandron

You can set your phone to function as a Disk Drive whenever you need it. Go to Start --> Settings --> Connections (tab) --> USB to PC. Set the device to ActiveSync by default (and tick "Enable faster data synchronization"), but also remember to tick the option "Ask me first about USB connection type when I connect the device to the PC".

Here's what happens after you do that:

1. You connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable

2. Phone asks if you want to use ActiveSync or the Disk Drive function

Now you have two options:

A. Don't touch anything, it will automatically select ActiveSync in a couple of seconds (for data synchronization)

B. Select Disk Drive (for charging and transferring files without being harrassed by synchronization)

This happens every time you connect your phone to your PC.

Guest wizgnome
You can set your phone to function as a Disk Drive whenever you need it. Go to Start --> Settings --> Connections (tab) --> USB to PC. Set the device to ActiveSync by default (and tick "Enable faster data synchronization"), but also remember to tick the option "Ask me first about USB connection type when I connect the device to the PC".

Here's what happens after you do that:

1. You connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable

2. Phone asks if you want to use ActiveSync or the Disk Drive function

Now you have two options:

A. Don't touch anything, it will automatically select ActiveSync in a couple of seconds (for data synchronization)

B. Select Disk Drive (for charging and transferring files without being harrassed by synchronization)

This happens every time you connect your phone to your PC.

Agree that's a workaround, but I still need the active sync connection for other applications that use 'cecopy' to transfer data to the device, plus I just want to plug the phone in and not have to select any options.

For now I have deleted the partnerships on my PC and just connect as Guest (with a registry change so I don't get prompted every time) Then I use my Mac to do all the syncing of contacts, calls etc.

Guest Alshandron
Agree that's a workaround, but I still need the active sync connection for other applications that use 'cecopy' to transfer data to the device, plus I just want to plug the phone in and not have to select any options.

For now I have deleted the partnerships on my PC and just connect as Guest (with a registry change so I don't get prompted every time) Then I use my Mac to do all the syncing of contacts, calls etc.

Well, you can set up a partnership, but don't select anything to be synchronized. Then it shouldn't interfere with file transfer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wizgnome
Well, you can set up a partnership, but don't select anything to be synchronized. Then it shouldn't interfere with file transfer.

If I do that it deletes all my contacts, calenders etc.. :)

Guest awarner (MVP)

Telling the pc not to sync anything should not delete any contacts, calenders etc.

That should only happen if it is trying to sync against an empty list and that list is the acting as master.

Guest wizgnome
Telling the pc not to sync anything should not delete any contacts, calenders etc.

That should only happen if it is trying to sync against an empty list and that list is the acting as master.

Well i created a partnership on my PC and cleared all the tick boxes on what to sync, and it removed all the existing contact/calendar information from my smartphone when I connected it to the PC.

I then had to copy back all my contacts and calendars from my mac.

Now they are not deleted when I plug my phone into the PC!

Edited by wizgnome